• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I want suits with the cut of RLBL, but without the incredibly limited color selection - do any other

butterflystyle

Reaction score
RLBL offers suits in such a limited color pattern that I'd be surprised if another clothier didn't have something close. I dont want pinstripes ,but would like some more solid and plaids - of which RLBL sells none.

Who makes the closest cut to an RLBL?

butterflystyle

Reaction score
If I was going to do RLBL mtm, I would just go to savile row. How about something under $2500?

mjphillips

Reaction score
I share your frustration, all the RLBL stuff I see in shops is very austere. However, I went to the RL sample sale in NYC a while back and they had several RLBL great glen plaid/prince of wales patterns....no idea where they were from original retail. So they do exist - somewhere.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing has that particular cut. It's very distinct. The closest I've found is the Dior Classic Drop Ten suit but that comes in Black, Navy, and Charcoal. Now that I think of it, I don't believe I've seen RLBL in Charcoal...

You can see what I mean if you go to the Saks website and check out their Dior suit. It's very similar to RLBL but without the heavy shoulders, I'd say and probably finer fabrics.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nothing has that particular cut. It's very distinct. The closest I've found is the Dior Classic Drop Ten suit but that comes in Black, Navy, and Charcoal. Now that I think of it, I don't believe I've seen RLBL in Charcoal...
You can see what I mean if you go to the Saks website and check out their Dior suit. It's very similar to RLBL but without the heavy shoulders, I'd say and probably finer fabrics.

This is true. RLBL Anthony is actually a pretty weird cut when you think about it. Very wide shoulders relative to chest size (DIVOT CITY!), heavily padded shoulders, HUGE drop, thin lapels, low rise. And it has full canvas. Nothing else like it.

I actually hate them.

Last edited:

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is true. RLBL Anthony is actually a pretty weird cut when you think about it. Very wide shoulders relative to chest size (DIVOT CITY!), heavily padded shoulders, HUGE drop, thin lapels, low rise. And it has full canvas. Nothing else like it.
I actually hate them.

Funny you mention the divots. I had them when trying on RLBL and it was a reason that pushed me away, since they said I couldn't live without them completely since I was thin.

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RLBL offers suits in such a limited color pattern that I'd be surprised if another clothier didn't have something close. I dont want pinstripes ,but would like some more solid and plaids - of which RLBL sells none.
Who makes the closest cut to an RLBL?

RLBL made to measure

I think doing mtm you can use RLPL fabrics. I believe some of them would still be under $2k. As for what makes Black label distinct? It's not really the dramatic drop as a bunch of brands have those. It's more the structured shoulder that gives the appearance of a wider shoulder. However, some purple label and polo are very similar to RLBL. For example, Polo Bradford model is very similar. Polo Garrison has the same shape and shoulder as Bradford but with wide lapels. Purple Label sometimes is the same as RLBL, but most often Drake and Savile Row models are generally similar. What do you like about Black Label?

toade

Reaction score
Whats wrong with the solid RLBL suits on Ralph Lauren's site? Navy and Charcoal. Personally I've seen charcoal and navy at Saks in BH (though that was over a year ago). Any Saks should be able to them shipped from that store (assuming they still carry solid colors).

As for RLPL, I don't think you get quite the same look. The RLPL I've seen/own (I have two Saville Row) dont have nearly as strong a shoulder (I prefer the soft shoulder). The waste also isn't as suppressed either, though a tailor can certainly correct that.

When I was looking two years ago, another member recommended John Varvatos mainline. Drop is similar, as is the waste supression... though the shoulders are softer. Can't remember now if they were half canvassed or full.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics