1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I want a nice journal

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Connemara, Nov 24, 2010.

1. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Trapper Keeper. You can keep scraps of photos of pop stars and clips you rip out of Tiger Beat.

[​IMG]

I remember when the first Five Star binders came out and they had the mesh pockets for floppy discs. I thought I was so tech savy for getting one.

2. RSS

RSS Senior member

This happened to me in the late 1990s, when I lived in Provence. I was working on my third book, actually more of a vignette revolving around the sexual lives of 19th century Balkan serfs. Anyway, I had a similar configuration of an assistant and sub-assistant, each of different sexes. One thing led to another and the transcription slowed to a halt. I would estimate that at the trough they were producing less than thirty words per minute!

I had to put them to sleep after that. It wasn't easy - if you've ever had a gerbil that died or a dog that you had to put to sleep as it got older, you will know how this felt for me. But it had to be done...it was for the best for all parties involved. I switched to an electronic journal, and they had clearly outlived their usefulness as typists. Every time I walk past the well in which their broken bones have laid in for the last decade, I am reminded of the good times we had during those quiet days on the outskirts of Avignon.

I was recently at a cocktail party ... and the person to whom I was talking said ... "I was putting this old woman to sleep this afternoon ... at Our Lady of Perpetual Indulgence Hospital ... " Well, I heard not another word and begain to fear that I was talking to a mercy killer of some kind. Perhaps he could read my face ... because he piped in with ... "Oh, I'm an anaesthetist, by the way. " Whew!

3. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I need to go on a quick rant about journals. If you ever go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look at the journals, they have the most stupid looking pieces of shit. It's like every one of them was designed by the Brothers Grimm. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. brown eyes

brown eyes Senior member

Don Draper keeps a journal.

[​IMG]

5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm not trying to argue with you. I'm just being reasonable.

1) E-journals allow you to back up your work. It cannot get stolen while you are traveling. It cannot get lost. It cannot get rained on and smudged. This of course assumes you are using something like DropBox to share the file in real-time.

2) They allow for password protection so you can write honestly without concern of someone laying their hands on it and reading something potentially private/offensive.

3) They allow for you to write from anywhere with an internet terminal (hotels, internet cafes, hotels).

4) If you want to share an excerpt with someone, copy/pasting is very easy.

5) Faster to write. I usually want to write a lot but cannot type as fast as I think. Writing is even slower, and certainly harder to read afterward.

I do agree that it can be inconvenient if you do not carry around a NetBook or laptop. I usually do, so an electronic journal makes the most sense for me. If you travel a lot an dislike laptops, I guess a physical journal might make sense. If you do not travel, e-journal is again the way to go.

MS, thanks for turning me on to Drop Box. Talk about a perfect app for computer/smartphone combo.

6. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

MS, thanks for turning me on to Drop Box. Talk about a perfect app for computer/smartphone combo.

Yeah it's a great little program. Just turned my dad onto it yesterday. I actually have not found a great use for it on my smartphone yet. Maybe I'm being myopic. What are you using it for?

7. AgentQ

AgentQ Senior member

Yeah it's a great little program. Just turned my dad onto it yesterday. I actually have not found a great use for it on my smartphone yet. Maybe I'm being myopic. What are you using it for?

On my phone, I've found it helpful for the few times I've suddenly needed access to a particular file. Also, I use it as a ghetto iTunes to sync parts of my music library to my phone (over wifi, of course).

8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Mainly photos. Last night, heading up to basically chat with the somm and bartender, I loaded up some interesting wine pics. Tonight, I'm headed out to a place where chef the is into homemade charcuterie also, so I'm loading up a few pics I know he'll be interested in.

Still looking for a good, all in one, media player.

9. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have journals from all over the world. I love'm. I pick them up wherever I go. The most recent one I got is by A. G. Spalding & Bros. that I picked up in Italy. It is sort of a Moleskine x 3.... just a little better all around but looks simple and is black. A G Spalding is a cool line of stationery and bags. Too bad it isn't sold in the US. (except a few items on Yoox but never their stationery).

One of my all time favorite journals is a set of bound back journals with different colored fabric spines in a black case. The interiors are lined ivory paper and the edges are colored purple. It was designed by Giuliano Mazzuoli after being inspired by his grandfathers old accounting journals that he found in the family business. Giuliano went on to design a famous line of machined aluminum pens and now focuses entirely on watches.

11. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

It's really hard to beat a good journal and a Meisterstuck.

12. orewagundamu

orewagundamu Member

mole skin notebooks are nice

13. Crane's

Crane's Senior member

^^^^^ I'll take that back. It's really hard to beat a good journal and a nice Aurora FP.

14. GSquared

GSquared Senior member

Moleskin is a great way to go. I would recommend getting a nice pen (I like ACME pens) as a signature piece. Makes writing more of an experience.

15. The Swede

The Swede Senior member

Moleskines suck for writing with fountain pens. Paper too thin. Rhodia and Clairfontaine are usually held up to be superior.

Also welcome to the insanity that is online discussion on fountain pens, journaling etc. You thought Styleforum was bad, haha, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. You can learn everything you want (and get severe OCD) over at fountainpennetwork.com.

Be careful about the Moleskine blogs/pages, some of them are really scary...

16. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

My ideal journal is 12" x 9" with a 100 square per inch graph in a very faint blue line weight, containing 65 lb. acid free paper with micro perforated inside edges for easily tearability, and a soft black cover with internal pocket.

Make it happen, free market.