Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I want a four button blazer

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Claghorn, Nov 4, 2012.

1. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Four is unlucky, not a good number of buttons to have on a jacket. Two, three, five, six, seven, eight or nine would be OK though

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012

2. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

A jacket needs to be buttoned somewhere around the natural waist. You can locate those buttons in a 1, 2 or horrors even a 3 button jacket, but it is really impossible in a 4 button jacket. The only good versions I have seen are serge blue with gold buttons and rounded collars- a military variation on the Vienna coat,

3. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Are you going to post your ESPN NFL Gameday audition tape once its done?

4. ryoneo

ryoneo Senior member

:rotflmao:

5. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

Well played, sir.

This is the most cogent response so far. An excellent point.

I'm really not getting this whole fashion forward thing. I've not really seen them anywhere as far as the more fashion forward stores in Korea (a country which takes fashion forward to amazing heights). I've always thought that they've never been that fashionable.
    They can indeed talk me out of it. If they succeed, then I'll know it was a passing fancy. If they fail, then I'll know it's something I really want. As far as the who...well, there are plenty of self-absorbed folk (who freely admit to this) around SF who are happy to give their two cents on this (especially when asked).

And Spoo, I like those jackets (albeit in something navy...not those...colors)

6. Gibonius

Gibonius Senior member

He needs to master his quadruple Windsor knot first.

7. akatsuki

akatsuki Senior member

Might as well go all the way up and wear a Nehru...

8. Claghorn

As it stands, I'm still leaning towards yes (I like the look of the pictures Spoo posted, different colors).

9. NORE

NORE Senior member

10. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Senior member

You should only have four buttons on a blazer if they are made of diamonds and you are trying to stick your wealth in the 99 percenters faces.

11. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

The only time it would work is if you do The Who / The Byrds or some such sixties band style. And if you go for that look you can't do it half assed either, you've gotta go all in. Oh yeah, and you should probably play in a band as well.

If that's you, I'm all for it.

12. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

To my point, if you're asking someone to "talk you out of it," then you already have your answer. You're just looking for someone to validate your doubt...or you're a troll. Either way, I'm finished with this thread.

13. Claghorn

That's sort of what I had in my head (the look). I don't know about going all in (not sure what that would entail, but I lack the means and the balls to be Albert Hal) about this, but I think that yeah, if I see something I like, I'll pick it up, post pics, and see how it weathers the SF storm.

I have one tattoo. I've wanted, for extended periods of time, three. I have a rule about tattoos...I have to want it, the same words in the same place, for 18 straight months. I figure if I want it for that long, then it's probably a sound investment. Only one tattoo withstood that test. Another lasted a year, but around month 12 I began having doubts, and that was enough for me to nix it.

So I'm not a troll. Nor am looking for someone to validate my doubt (only express theirs). This is a test, to see if I really want something. Do I want it now? Yes. Will I want it a year from now? I don't know. That's what I'm trying to ascertain. Though the criticism was less robust and in depth than I had hoped, it's helped (the comment about the natural waist and buttons was a damned good one). I still hope for more feedback, but I feel more comfortable setting out to find a navy four button that I like.

This seems to be one of the purposes of Style Forum.

Regardless, as they say, don't let the door hit you on your way out. Though should you have something constructive to say about my potential purchase rather than my character, you are more than welcome to contribute.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012

14. shilleck

shilleck Well-Known Member

As long as it's a fitted one and not like the one Lebron's wearing!

15. Chase H

Chase H Senior member

[​IMG]
    I'm all for it!