1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I tried on Thom Browne yesterday...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by itsstillmatt, May 2, 2006.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

at Neiman Marcus.

I tried on a patch madras sportcoat, and I have to say that I really like it. I was tempted, but the amount of use that I was going to get out of it was so small compared to the price that I never really considered it.

Compared to a lot of stuff, both fashion and not, the jacket was extremely comfortable and seemed quite well made. The only really noticeable feature to me (I wear my clothing pretty close to my body) was the height of the waist and the length of the jacket. I thought both would be pretty flattering with a pair of jeans or even khaki shorts.

Overall, I was very impressed, but a bit put off by the near $4k pricetag.

2. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

I'm sighing and shaking my head. Seriously man, $4k!

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

$4k...ouch! that is a grand more than every other TB sportcoat I've seen.

His dress shirts go for $400+, and having seen/tried on a few, the fit *is* quite flattering if you're skinny but I honestly can't see where the $400 is going towards that you couldnt get for $2-300 from a different high end designer or even $50 at Jantzen if you get the fit right.

*and I bet at 4k, those jackets will all be sold out within the next couple weeks

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

$4k...ouch! that is a grand more than every other TB sportcoat I've seen.

His dress shirts go for $400+, and having seen/tried on a few, the fit *is* quite flattering if you're skinny but I honestly can't see where the $400 is going towards that you couldnt get for $2-300 from a different high end designer or even $50 at Jantzen if you get the fit right.

It was obviously quite expensive to make. The patches were perfect, and the detailing stitching them together was very nice. THe price may have been closer to $3k, but I was thumbing through the rack and not taking notes, so I may have remembered the wrong price.

They had a lot of shirts and a few dinner jackets. I assume that they will all be there when sales time hits, as the Thom Browne look is not really a good fit stylistically for the San Francisco designer crowd. I do not think that one needs to be especially skinny to wear his clothing, just not obviously overweight.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Stylish Dinosaur

We know who the San Francisco designer crowd consists of and they are likely to buy more Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana than anything sedate.

6. tahitiantreat

tahitiantreat Member

iammatt, you're right. It was above 3k but closer to 4k. I tried on the same one today in the SF Neiman Marcus. I was surprised at how much I liked it. The patches are, as you previously said, sewn on perfectly. It is unlined (or partially? I forget) and is beautiful from the inside as well. I couldn't help but think of how much work went into this thing. I also couldn't help but think, "I hope I find this on sale in a month or two."

But even at 75% off....[​IMG]

7. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Distinguished Member

4K ? Ouch. That is 2 Oxxford Sportcoats [​IMG]

8. Margaret

Margaret Distinguished Member

We know who the San Francisco designer crowd consists of and they are likely to buy more Gucci and Dolce & Gabbana than anything sedate.

[​IMG]

9. Waltar

Waltar Well-Known Member

4K ? Ouch. That is 2 Oxxford Sportcoats [​IMG]

and a grand away from an MTM kiton.

10. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

Thom Browne is a phenomenal buy at $350!! [​IMG]

11. tiger02

tiger02 Militarist

Thom Browne is a phenomenal buy at $350!! [​IMG]

LOL. I nearly got suckered into that zip cardigan on ebay, but it went to $455 [​IMG]