• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I tried Knob Creek and Woodford tonight

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I bought a bottle of this ($20) and wasn't thrilled. I think I prefer Eagle Rare, and maybe Wild Turkey. But I may have been off point, still pissed about knocking a full, opened bottle of gin off the counter and onto the floor, where it broke into two dozen pieces.

frown.gif

I can see prefering Eagle Rare to BT, but not the regular label Wild Turkey. For the price, I honestly think Eagle and BT are two of the best bourbons out there.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
I bought a bottle of this ($20) and wasn't thrilled. I think I prefer Eagle Rare, and maybe Wild Turkey. But I may have been off point, still pissed about knocking a full, opened bottle of gin off the counter and onto the floor, where it broke into two dozen pieces.

frown.gif

At least it was gin and not bourbon! Although, if it were Plymouth gin, I could condone shedding a remorseful tear or two.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by King Francis
Ah good, thanks. If not Blanton's, is there another bourbon you would recommend after the Eagle Rare?

Eagle Rare is produced by the Buffalo Trace Distillery. Buffalo Trace uses three different bourbon mashbills: one that uses wheat as the small grain, which is used for WL Weller; a high-rye one, which is used for Ancient Age, Elmer T. Lee, Blanton's, and others; and a low-rye, which is used for Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Old Charter. While each of these brands is blended to a different flavor profile, if you like Eagle Rare, I would try the other low-rye bourbons from Buffalo Trace.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me a noob, idiot or plebian but I have never had bourbon before (mostly because at the liquor stores where I live they exceedingly rarely have anything beyond Jim Bean). I enjoy Crown Royal special reserve (it's made about an hour away from here) and was wondering how close in similarity something like Woodford or Knob Creek (the only two available around here) are to Crown.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denning
Call me a noob, idiot or plebian but I have never had bourbon before (mostly because at the liquor stores where I live they exceedingly rarely have anything beyond Jim Bean). I enjoy Crown Royal special reserve (it's made about an hour away from here) and was wondering how close in similarity something like Woodford or Knob Creek (the only two available around here) are to Crown.

Crown Royal is Canadian Rye so entirely different from bourbon. Where are you? Most LCBO stores in Toronto carry Woodford and Knob Creek. Some even have rare vintage ones.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EL, I'm in Winnipeg. I'm probably just going to find one of the bottles, whatever's available, and give it a whirl.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Crown Royal is Canadian Rye so entirely different from bourbon. Where are you? Most LCBO stores in Toronto carry Woodford and Knob Creek. Some even have rare vintage ones.

Exactly, bourbon is mostly corn. CR has the spiciness of rye, but it's particularly sweet and probably has a great deal of corn spirit in it, Rye is generally far more violent than a bourbon, but CR is a very mild rye.

denning

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a bottle of Woodford yesterday and found it very smooth and sweet. Not bad.

Financier

Reaction score
Funny I stumbled upon this thread. After abandoning bourbon for many years, I picked up a bottle of Woodford tonight. Tried some at a friends place recently and loved it. My last bourbon purchase was probably a fifth of Beam that I drank straight from the bottle in college.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a bottle of Buffalo Trace, Knob Creek and then pulled out my "house favorite" Woodford for a taste test.

Although I think Woodford is one of the very best, if I'm drinking it on ice I will now drink Buffalo Trace. It has a bit more flavor that stands up to the ice. Interestingly, of the three it has a rather lame looking bottle and label.

If I was drinking it neat I would drink Woodford or BT. Knob Creek is good. But the others are excellent.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a bottle of Buffalo Trace. The price is good too.

buffalotrace.jpg

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So guys. I have been looking to get into the world of fine liquors and spirits for the longest time. The only problem is that I dont feel my pallate can really appreciate what the have to offer.

So I guess my question is...How did you learn to appreciate your wines, spirits, etc...

I suppose the obvious answer is "just drink more of it...blah blah" but there has to be more to it then that...

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drinking some woodford with a tiniest splash of water tonight - its very very good. I've never been a big bourbon guy, but this is getting me to change my mind. Very complex, amazing aroma and aftertaste.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
Drinking some woodford with a tiniest splash of water tonight - its very very good. I've never been a big bourbon guy, but this is getting me to change my mind. Very complex, amazing aroma and aftertaste.
Bourbon is the greatest liquor in the world. Single-malt scotch is close behind.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Bourbon is the greatest liquor in the world. Single-malt scotch is close behind.

I just can't make that commitment yet. Bourbon (or at least woodford) is definitely moving to the favorites list now.. But I also like good scotch, irish whiskey, beer, wine, gin, port, madeira, premum tequila, good cocktails (old-fashioned.. yummmm), etc...

Alcohol!

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Flambeur
I just can't make that commitment yet. Bourbon (or at least woodford) is definitely moving to the favorites list now.. But I also like good scotch, irish whiskey, beer, wine, gin, port, madeira, premum tequila, good cocktails (old-fashioned.. yummmm), etc... Alcohol!
Yeah, Irish whiskey is great. Jameson's
inlove.gif
i don't drink much beer. I do enjoy a lot of darker ales though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads