• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I thought cashmere stuff is expensive, but I am wrong

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Must be imitation. Surely not authentic cashmere.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay, period.

That being said, cashmere is a type of goat and says nothing about the quality of the wool of the quality/fit of the jacket. Cashmere, in this instance, means little to nothing.

t2russo

Reaction score
Metropolitan View is a house brand at Bloomingdales, not awful quality. I have a couple dress shirts by them and they are on par with any ~$100 OTR dress shirt, but I bought them from TJ Maxx for $25 a pop. I'd say whoever got that probably snagged a hell of a deal.

goldencs

Reaction score
I have never heard of the brand of Metropolitan View. How is it rated against Ralph Lauren?

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have never heard of the brand of Metropolitan View. How is it rated against Ralph Lauren?

Not as good in construction and materials.

For one, they use synthetic cashmere (made of hi-tech polymers that are pressed into logs, spun into yarn, and then dyed).

Fig. 1

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Synthetic Cashmere!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!

I know better than to pursue anything remotely resembling inexpensive cashmere - as the good stuff is NEVER cheap.

But I had no idea there was such a thing as synthetic cashmere!!!!!! :brick:

Is it legal to call this stuff cashmere???? Where is 'big gov'ment' when we need it? It ought to be against the law!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

For one, they use synthetic cashmere (made of hi-tech polymers that are pressed into logs, spun into yarn, and then dyed).
Fig. 1

Not true. It would have to be labeled "100% acylic" by law. I don't think Bloomingdale's messes around with that.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Synthetic Cashmere!!!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!
I know better than to pursue anything remotely resembling inexpensive cashmere - as the good stuff is NEVER cheap.
But I had no idea there was such a thing as synthetic cashmere!!!!!! :brick:
Is it legal to call this stuff cashmere???? Where is 'big gov'ment' when we need it? It ought to be against the law!

Not true. It would have to be labeled "100% acylic" by law. I don't think Bloomingdale's messes around with that.

Believe what you want.

The worst part about it is the child labor implications. Obviously, there is no oversight for worker safety in the countries that produce these synthetic fibers. It's been shown these fibers contain carcinogens such as azo dyes that damage the respiratory tract and and latent toxins that produce horrible reaction with the muscular tissue and skin.

After many years factories, many children are left with deformation of the forearms and hands.

(Warning- Graphic!)

Fig. 2

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fig. 1

Fake cashmere rolls also bear a remarkable resemblance to simulated crab meat sticks...

Last edited:

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

t2russo

Reaction score
Dammit now I'm hungry. mmm synthetics...

But seriously, they would by law have to label a synthetic cashmere as acrylics. I don't feel like this is something you can really fudge, unless anyone who uses those materials and tries to pass them off as anything else is really itching for a potentially career destroying expose.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you can have cashmere that's not from the "good" part of the goat as well.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Believe what you want.
The worst part about it is the child labor implications. Obviously, there is no oversight for worker safety in the countries that produce these synthetic fibers. It's been shown these fibers contain carcinogens such as azo dyes that damage the respiratory tract and and latent toxins that produce horrible reaction with the muscular tissue and skin.
After many years factories, many children are left with deformation of the forearms and hands.
(Warning- Graphic!)
Fig. 2

:crackup:

t2russo

Reaction score
Oh you son of a ***** I wasn't able to open the spoiler tab because I was in a lecture hall.

Well played.
rotflmao.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads