• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I think my APCs shrank

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
I washed my APC NSs after several months of wear. Cold, Woolite regular, spin cycle, hang dry.

Before washing, they were very comfortable. Now they are as tight as spandex (except in the waist, which seems to have stayed true to size). Is this normal or did I mess them up in the wash?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
normal. AFAIK, they should now fit the way they did when you bought them.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Are they going to take another X months to stretch out to the point where they're comfortable? I can't take another break in period!

djh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You wear them while they're still slightly damp, and they'll stretch right back out to where they were...

How much did you size down, anyways?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dunno (I'm only a month and a half into my first pair), but honestly, the question would be better suited for the I have a jean or FAQ thread.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by djh
You wear them while they're still slightly damp, and they'll stretch right back out to where they were...

How much did you size down, anyways?

Size down 2, like most.
I like wearing my jeans a bit higher though, and thus have had much better luck with the APC Original Standard. After months of being uncomfortable in my New Standards, they stretched and I was almost able to get over the lower rise. Then I ordered my Original Standards (identical fit, just an inch higher rise) and found heaven.

Since then I've washed my NSs and they've been too tight to wear, so I've put a few miles on my OSs. The OSs have yet to see their first wash (just 3 months in or so now).

I will try getting my NSs damp and letting them stretch back out.

Also considering stocking up on another pair of OSs because I love them so much.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as long as we've got this thread going, what would happen if I put my NC's in the dryer (instead of air-drying them) after they get wet from rain/snow, will that shrink them at all and/or mess up my creases?

I wouldn't mind shrinkage, but I'd hate to lose the creases.

DBoon

Reaction score
yes dryer screws up combs.

Machine wash (on Hand Wash / Gentle / Delicate etc. cycle if possible)
then air dry

GY!BE

Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Hey guys, as long as we've got this thread going, what would happen if I put my NC's in the dryer (instead of air-drying them) after they get wet from rain/snow, will that shrink them at all and/or mess up my creases?

I wouldn't mind shrinkage, but I'd hate to lose the creases.

probably wouldnt mess w/ creases too bad if you did the lowest heat setting, but then again why dry them in the machine? my NS's get damp/ wet all the time, hang dry is all it takes

bach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i machine dried my APCs. then i stopped wearing them.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 144 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 278 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 132 15.7%
  • 31 - 40