1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think Kabbaz prices are probably worth it.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GQgeek, Mar 18, 2006.

1. brescd01

brescd01 Senior member

You are absolutely right, if you are fussy about fabric, Jantzen does not work at its best, because Ricky just will not send swatches, and his collection changes so fast I am not sure what good they would do you. But Jantzen will work to get a shirt that fits right. So will Land's End (whose shirts I hate by the way).

Jantzen definitely went through some problems before but if you email your order and phone Ricky to discuss it, you will get your shirts in a few weeks.

The reason a cheap option is good is because it provides a cheap way to figure out what you want, since you seem to indicate that you have not found "the perfect" shirt yet, and I think you have to find "the perfect" shirt before a habberdasher has a prayer of satisfying you.

To use myself as an example, most (though not all) my problems in building my wardrobe was figuring out what I wanted. I ran into incompetent craftsmen/salesmen, but not that many (1 actually).

Alternatively of course, you were very unlucky and really hit some horrible people. Though, if you ask me, were I to TRY to find the most clueless people in the shirt business, I would start with those innumerable MTM/bespoke services in department stores with the big names (Brioni, Borelli) because the possibilities for screw-ups are just too numerous and the incentives to the salesman to not stand behind the product is so great.

And were I in NYC and needed shirts, I would definitely check out Cego and (discreetly, of course, so that I did not get stoned or pilloried), the AK, if only for their vaunted fabric collections.

2. RJman

RJman Senior member Dubiously Honored

Land's End (whose shirts I hate by the way).
    I thought you swore by them... [​IMG]

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

No. Not asleep. Just currently frustrated in searching out a maker for you.

For those who can go to NY or LA 2 or 3 times, that is the best solution. Once you are fitted up, you'll never need to make the trip again. Suits and shirts are different. Once your shirt pattern is correct, you successfully can transact business from afar.

Depending upon your price point, you might consider CEGO, Geneva, Paris, (all NY), Rene Bassetti (Washington state), or Anto (LA). In all of those you will actually deal with the person in charge of making your shirts.

4. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

While being presently out of my range, I should think Mr. Kabbaz's prices are totally reasonable.

This seems to be so when I consider that an off the rack Kiton costs as much, if not more; when I consider that the ratio of the price of OTR suits:shirts is something like 1:6, and people certainly drop three large and change on bespoke suiting; when I consider that he is an acknowledged master at his craft, and comparable experience in other fields would let one demand much, much more.

Hell, first year out of university it will cost one more to get me to spend the day in court for them that it will to have Mr. Kabbaz spend the day making a shirt, I have 5 years of law school but he has how many decades of experience?

I think that, as against what inferior RTW costs one, his shirts would be worth it for the materials and handiwork, even divorced from the expertise, the multiple test-shirts, the extra alterations after a week or two of wear.

In short, I should only hope that, when I am commanding three large and change in daily brief fees, that Mr. Kabbaz or his successors shall still be so reasonable in their prices.

(For now, I shall buy size 38 Borrelli on sale, and get my tailor to remove what seems like several feet of cloth from the sides).

5. Tomasso

Tomasso Senior member

For now, I shall buy size 38 Borrelli on sale, and get my tailor to remove what seems like several feet of cloth from the sides).

Well, muddle through, Mate. When you're a full-fledged lawyer, God willing, you'll be able to screw enough citizens to afford Kabbaz prices 3X over.

6. RJman

When you're a full-fledged lawyer, God willing, you'll be able to screw enough citizens to afford Kabbaz prices 3X over.
    Not so much...

7. Matt

Matt Senior member

God willing, you'll be able to screw enough citizens to afford Kabbaz prices 3X over.
    and with his eight shirt first-order minimum, youll be more than a third of the way there

8. GQgeek

GQgeek Senior member

No. Not asleep. Just currently frustrated in searching out a maker for you.

I hope not! I sort of assumed you'd go in to your list of contacts in the trade and pull something out of a hat, maybe even close to me in Canada! Really Alex, although it is appreciated, don't trouble yourself too much. Short-term I'm going to give this fellow here a try because I need some shirts quickly and as I said I can't get out of town in the near future. As a long-term solution, I'll certainly consider people in other cities if what I get here isn't up to the level of fit and quality that I hope to find. I'll be in NY towards the end of June so maybe we can meet then and you can point out all the flaws in my shirts (and in the process make me even more self-conscious about fit) :p

9. Tyto

Tyto Senior member

I thought you swore by them... [​IMG]
    *At* them. He swore *at* them.... [​IMG]

10. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Well, muddle through, Mate. When you're a full-fledged lawyer, God willing, you'll be able to screw enough citizens to afford Kabbaz prices 3X over.

The most enlightening aspect of practicing law vs attending law school is discovering the profound difference between what law firms charge and what lawyers earn.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

The most enlightening aspect of practicing law vs attending law school is discovering the profound difference between what law firms charge and what lawyers earn.

I learned this from my roommate (a gopher at a law firm and soon a law school student). It's kind of frightening.

12. RJman

Solution: Laphroaig 30 at firm party. Earn back your hours.

13. The False Prophet

The False Prophet Senior member

We have a beautiful tradtion in Australia (and the rest of the British Commonwealth) called the Private Bar, where almost all court work is done by sole practitioners. Sure, they have overheads but...

...in any event, they earn enough in a day to pay for at least half that minimum order...

(And, am I good enough to cut it? We'll wait and see...)