• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I'm going to try a Beckett and Robb Suit

katabatic

Reaction score
Crossposted from the Conrad Wu affiliate thread - this is an unstructured sportcoat in one of B&R's stock fabric (herringbone + windowpane - they stock it in a grey and a brown as well). Even though it's 40% cashmere, I'm still tempted to go back and have them make me a pair of trousers to turn it into a casual suit for occasional wear.

jaywhyy

Reaction score
I'm debating whether to try out B&R. I've wanted an unstructured jacket for quite awhile, but would prefer a more shirt sleeve shoulder with shirring i.e. more Neopolitan. Seems like B&R's unstructured jackets still have that ridge around the armscythe. Is there any padding in that shoulder katabatic?

Last edited:

katabatic

Reaction score
I'm debating whether to try out B&R. I've wanted an unstructured jacket for quite awhile, but would prefer a more shirt sleeve shoulder with shirring i.e. more Neopolitan. Seems like B&R's unstructured jackets still have that ridge around the armscythe. Is there any padding in that shoulder katabatic?

Nope, there's no padding at all, and the jacket mostly definitely does not fit "very stuff" [sic]. Of course it's not going to be as soft (or as sloppy) as a garment-washed jacket. It's just not a spalla camicia or anything like that. I'd say it's a good choice if you want something unstructured that's not as sloppy as a Boglioli.

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kai - I'm curious on why you're not using a more traditional bespoke tailor any longer. I ask as your Raph suit looks infinitely better than the B&R suits (which are hit-or-miss, and, quite frankly, closer to the 'miss' end of the spectrum).

I know the Raph suits are 3-4x more expensive, but maybe buy those more selectively than all the B&R stuff?

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My latest from Beckett & Robb:

Harris Tweed 3 Piece.

One of the less good offerings- just does not look good.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't travel to New York City, Hong Kong, or London much any more. (Not often enough to do regular fittings with a tailor.)

I don't even know if Raphael is still in the business. He was pretty old when I saw him last. He may be retired for all I know.

B&R is convenient, and much less expensive, and I do like their work for the most part. The suits get picked apart here on SF, but in the real world, I get compliments on them constantly. The tweed suit above is a good example. GBR doesn't like it. However, the last time I wore it, I was complimented by 5 people, including 3 complete strangers.

Kai - I'm curious on why you're not using a more traditional bespoke tailor any longer. I ask as your Raph suit looks infinitely better than the B&R suits (which are hit-or-miss, and, quite frankly, closer to the 'miss' end of the spectrum).

I know the Raph suits are 3-4x more expensive, but maybe buy those more selectively than all the B&R stuff?

Last edited:

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my latest B&R, a camel hair jacket:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't travel to New York City, Hong Kong, or London much any more. (Not often enough to do regular fittings with a tailor.)

I don't even know if Raphael is still in the business. He was pretty old when I saw him last. He may be retired for all I know.

B&R is convenient, and much less expensive, and I do like their work for the most part. The suits get picked apart here on SF, but in the real world, I get compliments on them constantly. The tweed suit above is a good example. GBR doesn't like it. However, the last time I wore it, I was complimented by 5 people, including 3 complete strangers.

Fair enough.

As an aside, as others have mentioned, I would urge you to have them rework the collar, and also shorten the length of each of your coats.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 Keep things in perspective. Who's opinion do you give more weight: real people or internet guys?

jaywhyy

Reaction score
Nope, there's no padding at all, and the jacket mostly definitely does not fit "very stuff" [sic]. Of course it's not going to be as soft (or as sloppy) as a garment-washed jacket. It's just not a spalla camicia or anything like that. I'd say it's a good choice if you want something unstructured that's not as sloppy as a Boglioli.
I think I'll drop by to see them. I really liked the Boglioli cut and the softness of the fabric, but ironically at the same time I can't bring myself to spend close to 1.5k on something OTR that feels unsubstantial.

And I disagree with GBR about the tweed, it looks great. Only critiques I have is with regards to the above (very slight collar gap, jacket length) and the position of the breast pocket.

Last edited:

Grammaton Cleric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+1 Keep things in perspective. Who's opinion do you give more weight: real people or internet guys?

A poor way to think about things imo. Given the paucity of well-fitting suits these days, 'real' people are easily impressed with anything slim-fitting with a nipped waist. One would expect members of this forum to be more exacting.

The above isn't directed at Kai (he has enough experience to understand what he's buying, and the attendant pros / cons), but rather at this somewhat disingenuous notion offered by many when they're unhappy that members haven't gone gaga over their suits - the notion that 'iGents' are nothing more than a bunch of nitpickers who have no idea what 'real' people think. If you're posting on a forum called Styleforum, expect a critique more involved, exacting and focused on the minutiae than at your local neighborhood bbq.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Sorry, Kai - compliments or not, I don't find much to like about that tweed suit.

To echo many others before me, the collar gap and coat length on nearly all your B+R suits should be revised. Both simple changes, so hopefully the B+R team can knock'em out easily.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Also, a +100 to Cleric's last post. If the bar on this forum is set by what the general public thinks, then we may as well confine ourselves to buying the latest Ludlow suits by J. Crew.

It's also worthwhile to point out that the anonymity afforded by an internet forum also allows for more honest appraisals. I have several people at my office who stop by to show me their new suits, and I hardly ever offer a honest, no-holds barred critique. I suspect that most others are like me IRL.

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worked with B&R. Probably won't go back anytime soon and will instead suffer the long wait of NSM and maybe Steed. Or buying other RTW in deep discount and pay alterations for better results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads