• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I'm going to try a Beckett and Robb Suit

Mute

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The suit looks fantastic Kai. And oh....love the watch!

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Friday Challenge.

My latest Beckett & Robb suit.

I quite like how this turned out. The pants need just a bit of fabric taken in from the crotch, which should be a relatively simple job for the alterations tailor, but other than that, I'm pleased with the fit.

Love the detailing and the half lined construction.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very impressive. Love the details, and the fit is almost perfect now.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lapel is still revelatively skinny. Upper body looks light in relationship to a slightly flared skirt and relexed fit pants. A bigger lapel will off set much of the relative imbalance.

Fit is very good.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
fit is good, lapel "can" be bigger, but I think that's a personal choice at that point.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked up a suit Beckett & Robb made for me last week, and I couldn't be happier (granted, it was a complimentary suit for review on my blog, but still...). The jacket was quite off on the first attempt due to a miscommunication between B&R and their production facility in Portugal. Dustin at the SF store was more than gracious about the error, and the remake was rushed. The second make of the jacket fit perfectly in the shoulders and chest, but needed a little bit let out in the waist. I'm quite pleased with the final result. The pants were perfect in their first iteration.

The fabric is a midweight Vitale Barberis Canonico grey flannel, and the jacket is unlined and unstructured w/ a 3 roll 2 lapel and 3 patch pockets. I'll be posting a full review over on my blog in the next few weeks.

Buttons on the sleeves are very badly placed, looks dreadful - suggests they were lengthened without much care.

Last edited:

brillopad

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Buttons on the sleeves are very badly placed, looks dreadful - suggests they were lengthened without much care.
Could you please elaborate? Are you saying the buttons are too far up the sleeve? If that is that case, I'm quite sure that Jason has the first button "unbuttoned" so it can't be seen, making that length look longer than it really is.

Either way, I'd say that "dreadful" is an overstatement but that's just me.

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indeed, it looks like when the fourth button is closed there is about 2.00" of fabric until the end, which is a little more than normal, but by no means unusual. In fact that practice is common on taller guys or chaps with 44"+ chests.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Indeed, it looks like when the fourth button is closed there is about 2.00" of fabric until the end, which is a little more than normal, but by no means unusual. In fact that practice is common on taller guys or chaps with 44"+ chests.

That excuse/reason does not make it look right. "awful" remains my view, not "unusual".

SomethingsFishy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cross post from the Friday Challenge.

My latest Beckett & Robb suit.

I quite like how this turned out. The pants need just a bit of fabric taken in from the crotch, which should be a relatively simple job for the alterations tailor, but other than that, I'm pleased with the fit.

What an exquisite Lange! If I were you, I'd wear it with barrel cuffs- I wouldn't want a cufflink distracting from its majesty.

Fit on the suit looks extremely good to my eye, though I claim no expertise. My only gripe would be that the tie and square are too matchy.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dupioni silk suit.

Completely unstructured and unlined.

Thinking the jacket may need to be nipped in a little bit at the waist.

I'm really loving the fabric and how light the jacket is. (It's kind of like wearing a heavy shirt instead of a jacket.)

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some feedback from the WAYWRN thread:

Kai, the left shoulder looks a bit wonky, kind of like it was cut to accommodate a shoulder pad. Don't know if the lapel pulling away from your neck is just a matter of position, but if it looks that way at rest, it likewise could use some attention. For your next B&R commission, you might consider having the breast pocket placed closer to the lapel.

Maybe wear it a few times and take it back to B&R if the fit issues don't settle out?

I like the color and cut in general, though!

The shoulder might be simply a function of not having any sort of padding to smooth the fall of the sleevehead.

I agree though that the collar is a good deal too loose. Cleaning that up will make the jacket look better in its own right and, likely, save you from showing the collar points on your fairly spread shirt.

It actually has already been re-worked quite a bit. When if first showed up, it was a lot worse. Beckett & Robb's alterations tailor said that the armholes were made too tight, causing bunching, and the shoulders and upper chest had too much fabric (likely due to lack of padding.) It is much much better now than it was, and I figured I would wear it a few times and see how it "settles." This is my first wearing after the alterations, and I do think it likely needs a bit more tweaking, but things are definitely moving int he right direction. Sadly the tailor is now out on maternity leave, and I don't really trust anyone else to work on the jacket,, so I will need to wait a few weeks for her to come back to work.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally cold enough to wear this suit:

It is my favorite from Beckett & Robb so far.

The cloth is soft as sin. Feels incredible. It's flannel, but not too heavy. Love the color.

I like how it fits. I can move easily in it, and don't feel constricted.

Looking forward to more cool weather so I can wear it more.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice fabric selection; the large pattern suits your frame well.

Nice HKD 1c cuff links!!!

On the flip side, pants do seem sitting a bit low and vest a bit long. And right sleeve too short.

p.s., flannel fabric and unlined. hmmmm.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
For what it's worth...

overall looks very good. I won't point out all the good things becuase i assume you know them. ah wth, PS is great, pattern and coloring are good, wider lapels (stick to at least this wide) are definitely good,

just some random observations:
- something with the pants from below the knee looks off... don't know if it's how it was pressed, or constructed, but there's something about the shape that seems to make it twist. Just look at all the pant pictures, whether static or moving, it looks to me like there's something wrong with the 'shape'. Do you have an unusual stance or gait? Are they cut for the way you move? Also, I have a hunch they're tight at the knees and will wear through there quickly. Lots of creasing around the knees?
- I also noticed that it's flannel but then unlined... in theory an unexpected choice, I guess if in practice it works for you
- Jacket seems quite long? I have a shorter torso so usually go with max to end of my thumb and this looks like a full 2 inches below your thumb, but also if the jacket were closed, would it cover your whole front rise?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads