I think I'm going to try a Beckett and Robb Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Kai, Apr 8, 2013.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Its rather easy to fit a thin man. Always harder to fit and make a big man look good.

+1. In addition, button placement looks way off, likely caused by coat being too long. Lapel looks and actually is very skinny relative to frame.

Pants fit is rather OTR

2. Kai

Kai Senior member

I cross posted this on WAYWRN thread. Here's the critiques from that thread:

3. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

Comparing the two, I think the wider lapels look good. If you want to keep it modern then no bellied/curved lapels, hard and straight. As mentioned, see how there's a bit of overlap with the chest pocket. I think the new suit is missing that through a combo of pocket too far over (and low?) and narrow lapels. I could be wrong but I always throught you could create a longer torso line by having higher gorge and pocket with straight cut lapels and lower button stance and lower pockets with no ticket and shorter jacket (all within reason). The new suit has slimmer arms and pants, which is also less boxy, so that's good. Lastly, basides that it may just be a bit to do with lighting and more extreme camera angle (new suit pic taken on bigger hill?), clearly the coat 'looks' too long (see how it covers the whole front rise so it looks like a blouse), I think the area under the chest is taken in too far so it's giving that figure 8. Again, take it with a grain of salt. I own 2 suits, have never had MTM/bespoke done and am currently at home in a bathrobe, but I've been on the site for years and seen thousands of WAYW and I think there's just an overall sense of proportion and all that which I have an opinion on. The above might be a starting point.

4. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

Pretty sure a lot people already mentioned, but anyway my take is on your new DB is
    1. larger lapel
    2. shorter jacket
    3. button points higher in a 6x2 configuration

5. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

It will be interesting to see how they handle this issue; you're clearly a good customer and a good house would correct or remake the coat. Having said that the B&R prices are a bit lower than normal so I wonder how much wiggle room they have.

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

That is an unusual pocket arrangement. What is it - phone pocket with flap and??

7. Master-Classter

Master-Classter Senior member

phone, sunglasses, pen?

8. Kai

Kai Senior member

Beckett & Robb works with an excellent local tailor. She's much more skilled than a typical alterations tailor. My guess is that she can do something to make it better.

I have no idea what all these pockets are for. The jacket just came that way. I'm sure I can figure out something to put in them.

9. jebarne

jebarne Senior member

As a former (and some would argue current) big guy, believe me, I know.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

10. GBR

GBR Senior member

How very odd, I've seen nothing like that before even when someone ahs made special requests of the tailor. Are all your suits from them like this?.

11. beckettrobb

beckettrobb Member

Kai, this is Jason typing here. First, the inside left pockets are for a smart phone, business cards, and pen. The smartphone pocket is shallow and has the flap to prevent the phone from falling out when you bend over. As you know, but for the benefit of other SF members, the inside right pocket is a larger traditional pocket.
    Second, this is the first I've personally seen of you in your new DB. I appreciate the feedback you've received here. Let us know what you'd like us to do, if anything. I agree with some of the feedback. Ultimately we just want you to be happy, so let us know.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

Do you not have the ticket pockets inside the coat then in normal configuration?

13. Kai

Kai Senior member

Spoke with the Becket & Robb folks today.

They're going to remake the double breasted jacket.

Really nice to see this level of customer service and pride in their product.

The two regular single breasted 3-piece suits I got from them are killer. However, it's 100 degrees here, and they're made from heavy fabrics, so I haven't really worn them yet.

14. katabatic

katabatic Senior member

I took advantage of the Bay Bridge closure's effect on downtown traffic (namely, that there isn't much, relative to what downtown SF is usually like), to swing by B&R after work and put in an order for a sportcoat & vest I've been thinking about for a while. It's going to be an impatient 6-7 weeks while they make it!

15. Kai

Kai Senior member

I ordered a camel hair sport coat.

Agree that it will be a long wait.