• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm dead.

2D3A0776-92C2-4B6D-A302-8D0B9DB9D3D3 2.JPG

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Admissions week for kindergarten. Got our SFUSD letter and despite thinking we had a pretty good shot for our neighborhood school we were not so lucky. Didn’t get any of our top 15 and ended up with a deeply underperforming school.

On the bright side, it looks like we are going to be very happy with our private school admissions so that makes for a relatively easy choice. We won’t know for sure until Friday but I’m not too worried at this point.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fingers crossed. High school admissions D-Day here too. At least the public fallback is good.

Last edited:

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because I don't live in SF proper, I have fewer reasons to dislike it. However, I will say that I've visited less often as it's become more crowded, significantly more annoying in certain respects. Going to dinner and a show is a real production and time investment, no matter how you slice it. I am also perpetually mystified as to how a city with so much visible wealth and a strong tax base can accept such poor infrastructure / roadway maintenance, be so dirty, and not more effectively manage the pressing social issues at hand (primarily homelessness/population with mental health issues). I accept that these are complicated issues (and am not here to spark a coversation about them) but I, for one, am happy to have easy access to the city, but equally happy not to have to live there.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because I don't live in SF proper, I have fewer reasons to dislike it. However, I will say that I've visited less often as it's become more crowded, significantly more annoying in certain respects. Going to dinner and a show is a real production and time investment, no matter how you slice it. I am also perpetually mystified as to how a city with so much visible wealth and a strong tax base can accept such poor infrastructure / roadway maintenance, be so dirty, and not more effectively manage the pressing social issues at hand (primarily homelessness/population with mental health issues). I accept that these are complicated issues (and am not here to spark a coversation about them) but I, for one, am happy to have easy access to the city, but equally happy not to have to live there.

BC those are complex issues that take more than just "money" to solve. The city is already under constant infrastructure construction that's holding up traffic. Also the wealth is there because of tax incentives that keep these companies there, and a wealthy tax base that ultimately doesn't really care about these issues.

emptym

Reaction score
JFC. It was Matt I believe that said that the reason San Francisconians are so pissed off all the time is that they realize they'll never be relevant.

The entirety of Silicon Valley could slide into a lake of fire tomorrow and the world would not miss a beat. What's the worst that would happen? We'd have to start taking taxis again? Oh dear.

lefty
I hate taxis.

St Ignatius was a sister school for my HS, and it seemed pretty cool. Went to many swimming/water polo meets there. Hope that's on the list!
Our kids will probably go to SI, as long as we're still in SF then. A few years ago, I asked an admissions officer where the best students come from, and he said St. Anne's, St. Brendan's, and St. Cecelia's. So our kids go to one of those and we love it.
When I first moved to SF about 10 yrs ago, I asked a friend that question, regarding the road quality, and he (also Catholic) blamed Catholics for spending more on social welfare programs than infrastructure. Another friend, who worked for the city's HR, said she thought it was the high pay of city employees.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I hate taxis.
[...]

I used to hate taxis (in DC) until Uber X arrived now I cherish taxi drivers for actually knowing how to get around the city. I will allow that DC taxis were atrocious until Uber came in and scared them into shape.

sfo423

Reaction score
Unfortunately, that is not the case in SF. I'm sure the powers that be will be swayed somehow to make cabs a 'legacy' or 'protected' business so we can subsidize them into survival.

But, I will say Uber/Lyft drivers (still) don't have a clue how to navigate the city.

I used to hate taxis (in DC) until Uber X arrived now I cherish taxi drivers for actually knowing how to get around the city. I will allow that DC taxis were atrocious until Uber came in and scared them into shape.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, my God DC cabs sucked back in the 90s when we lived there. On the other hand I had a female Uber driver here in SF once who was so high she could barely speak. Or she had severe brain damage. Either way, not ideal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads