• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t mind Yelpers when they post pictures of the food and menu when the restaurant’s website doesn’t do that. It’s just some of their opinions and writing like they’re a high end food critic is ridiculous.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Things on Yelp stick in my craw and I never trust the ratings. For instance, there's a really good ramen place that has been panned with 1* several times. Stupid **** like the tonkotsu ramen comes in two iterations and doesn't allow the purchaser to add "yummy ingredients" cafeteria style and one Yelper complained there was no way to get it "pork free." ******* idiot. And btw, this broth is the **** of my dreams, so creamy and rich.

And then there's the Yelper that panned one of my favorite places as on his second visit the soup du jour wasn't the same as his last visit. Not a facepalm big enough.

Then there's the five stars because even though the food was marginal the server was nice or they loved the ambiance type ****.

Signal to noise ratio is just too high for this old man.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t mind Yelpers when they post pictures of the food and menu when the restaurant’s website doesn’t do that. It’s just some of their opinions and writing like they’re a high end food critic is ridiculous.

With anonymous posts there is no accountability for reckless or spiteful reviews. I find the whole "we are being transparent and giving people a platform to express themselves" argument total bullshit. That being said, I do read Yelp and Tripadvisor reviews but dismiss more than half of them.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a photo of a sidewalk chalkboard sign that said:

"Come In And Try The Worst Coffee One Guy on Yelp Ever Had" :lol:

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i mostly ignore individual reviews (unless someone conveys some very precise info) and try to glean info from the aggregate. with tripadvisor, i've had pretty good luck just basing hotel choices off of the ratio of 5-star to 4-star reviews (you're really not gonna get stuck with a bad hotel if it has something like 1,500 5-star reviews vs. 600 4-star reviews, with the rest being gripes and complaints.)

i think yelp is a bit trickier because some cities like new york or l.a. seem to have stingier real reviewers (so there are lots of places that i really like that get 3.5 stars on average) but also big hype machines generating inflated or flat-out fake glowing reviews (so there are also lots of 4.5 and 5-star places that are disappointing). for that latter category, i tend to skim the list of yelp reviews to see if there are a bunch of 5-star reviews from people who have only written two or three reviews and are thus likely fakes or friends.

i figure really imperfect info is still better than no info.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In addition to not being able to afford a home, I know young Bay Area couples where they made a couple of million in tech, bought a house, but both have to continue to work their butts off to support a comfortable but not extravagant lifestyle in the Bay Area with private school, a couple vacations, high property taxes and the cost of raising a couple of kids.

View attachment 1141319

Can say same about NYC...

sfo423

Reaction score
4. Fremont: dont steal my Doritos and get the hell out of my 7/11
8. San Jose: don’t shoot me; just take my car
10. San Francisco: would you please move your possessions, poop & syringes so I can get out of my front door?
13. Santa Rosa. Too far
37. Oakland: don’t jack me, I only have a BART ticket
115. Sacto: Say hello to the Gav.

Did I miss any?

https://wallethub.com/edu/happiest-places-to-live/32619/?

These surveys are always bullshitty to a certain extent but 5 of the top 10 are in CA, including SF.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just all of SoCal, not that we acknowledge its existence.

sfo423

Reaction score
Does Mercer have an office in SF?

“Mercer Consulting's list of best places to live revealed that for the 10th year in a row, Vienna took the No. 1 spot, followed by Zurich, with Auckland, Munich and Vancouver tying for 3rd place. San Francisco came in at #34 and Boston at #36 and New York #44. Considerations include recreation, housing, economy, public services and transport, political and social environment, education, medical and health considerations, and the natural environment.”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads