• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One lady walked into the Safeway, bought several flats of eggs, and then walked back out and offered them to anyone who wanted to throw them. The kids (and that lady) are alright.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just spent 2 weeks in the SF/Oakland/South Bay areas. Here are my thoughts after growing up there and living all over, moving away 4 years ago, and coming back:

- There doesn't seem to be any more unhoused individuals than before, they're just now setting up in concentrated areas rather than spread out, which is perhaps what is driving all of the hysteria.

- There are many many people helping and bringing in new solutions that I've never seen before and are actually super cool. There is a plot of microhomes near Lake Merritt where otherwise unhoused folks can live, have an address, and still be independent. I imagine this is mostly for families, and is an amazing way to help, even if it's not en masse.

- The dirt/grime/poop problem is greatly exaggerated, especially by people who haven't lived in a major city before. It's bad, but it doesn't feel worse than before. When I lived there, we had a well-known character that would diarrhea on the walls of buildings around my house, called the Polk Gulch *******. This was 09-12. **** happens. I visited NYC a few times in the last few years, and honestly, it's worse there.

- My parents and their friends who live in the South Bay are rooting for the downfall of SF & Oakland. You have no idea how many times we were asked (in a leading way) "soooo I heard SF and Oakland have gotten so much worse, what do you think?" and just holding their stupid steadfast opinion without actually listening to anyone that lives/d there.

- There are only a handful of communities/neighborhoods with identities left. The entire bay is basically commuters who don't care about where they live as long as the house is nice and the (future) commute is short.

- Traffic, even during this semi-WFH state, is atrocious and a large reason for why I don't want to move back.

- Trying to buy a home is laughable at this point.
It's incredible how conservative so many supposedly liberal/progressive people are.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's incredible how conservative so many supposedly liberal/progressive people are.

My parents and their friends are *this* close to being trumpers, but yeah, still agree. Lots of nimbying, veiled racism, and bad gut takes.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bourgeoisie are always with us.

emptym

Reaction score
Good post, @troika. The only thing I disagree with is that, officially fwiw, the unhoused population has been steadily increasing, at least according to this in-depth SF Chronicle reported that came out yesterday:

I don't like SF being used as a right-wing talking point, but the increase seems consonant with my experience and that of some friends who work with homeless people and folks in SROs.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had a typing teacher who got drunk and would nod off in class. Couple of the usual suspects tied her to her chair.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I know Steven. This is an on-brand hot take from him. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads