• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @sugarbutch and @RSS. I would totally go into SF for alterations. I used to go to a spot right downtown. Unfortunately, I'm a full time caregiver now so whereever I go, I take a 91 yr old w/ me. For me to go anywhere, I have to have close parking. Preferably a spot I can see so they can stay in the car. Mobility is not easy.
I forgot about the parking lot behind Uni. Maybe I'll try again next week.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks @sugarbutch and @RSS. I would totally go into SF for alterations. I used to go to a spot right downtown. Unfortunately, I'm a full time caregiver now so whereever I go, I take a 91 yr old w/ me. For me to go anywhere, I have to have close parking. Preferably a spot I can see so they can stay in the car. Mobility is not easy.
Sadly it's not a lot you can see from Uni-tailor.

I too used to go to a tailor in the Union Square area in San Francisco. He was on an upper floor in a very nondescript building. I used him for alterations requiring more expertise and was quite satisfied. Maybe one of the Style Forum big boys will know. I'm sure someone here recommended him. I've been away from the Bay Area too long to remember and I'm not seeing him in my phone's database.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sadly it's not a lot you can see from Uni-tailor.

I too used to go to a tailor in the Union Square area in San Francisco. He was on an upper floor in a very nondescript building. I used him for alterations requiring more expertise and was quite satisfied. Maybe one of the Style Forum big boys will know. I'm sure someone here recommended him. I've been away from the Bay Area too long to remember and I'm not seeing him in my phone's database.

You might be thinking of Andreas Gorges. I used to go to him when I worked downtown. I took a few things to him and it was always done on time and exactly as expected.

sfo423

Reaction score
I worked with him a lot on some alterations. I have not been back in probably seven years. Great guy. I also had him make me a sport coat, suit and shirts to see his work. Definitely more English than Italian on the bespoke.

You might be thinking of Andreas Gorges. I used to go to him when I worked downtown. I took a few things to him and it was always done on time and exactly as expected.

Reactions: RSS

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He made a jacket for me. Very happy with it.

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some Sunday reading:

San Francisco Alterations Tailor Thread

Alterations Tailor in San Francisco Thread

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya love to see it.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 5.18.52 PM.png

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife and I are driving from South Lake Tahoe to Carmel for a couple of nights. Planning to spend a day in SF before flying back to the east coast.

Assuming I know nothing about San Francisco, does any have any hotel or restaurant recommendations? I saw @sugarbutch recommended Fog City. Carmel recs are welcome too.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I are driving from South Lake Tahoe to Carmel for a couple of nights. Planning to spend a day in SF before flying back to the east coast.

Assuming I know nothing about San Francisco, does any have any hotel or restaurant recommendations? I saw @sugarbutch recommended Fog City. Carmel recs are welcome too.

We used to visit Carmel about every two months and were last there in April. A very enjoyable contemporary restaurant that is only a year old is The Pocket with a wonderful menu. Indoor and patio dining. Aubergine at L' Auberge Carmel has had some excellent (and expensive) menus but I haven't been in a while. We enjoyed staying at The Cypress Inn because of it's old California style and located in the center of everything (Call and ask for a king on an upper floor away from kitchen noise.) It is easy to walk around, shop, walk to the beach and there are about a dozen wine tasting spots near by. If you want to shop for men's clothing, stop in at Khakis of Carmel. Be sure to make advanced dinner reservations.

In San Francisco I recommend Tadich Grill, the oldest restaurant in California, for classic San Francisco dishes especially seafood. Another old-school San Francisco place is House of Prime Rib which has been serving Martinis and beef since the 1940's. We used to stay at Campton Place on Union Square (great service, quiet bar, nice bar menu and fine dinning room) but I hear such awful things about downtown SF since Covid I honestly don't know where I would recommend you stay without being overrun with street people who can often be rude or aggressive. I now live in Santa Fe so perhaps a local can give a current update for a hotel rec?

Darkside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We used to visit Carmel about every two months and were last there in April. A very enjoyable contemporary restaurant that is only a year old is The Pocket with a wonderful menu. Indoor and patio dining. Aubergine at L' Auberge Carmel has had some excellent (and expensive) menus but I haven't been in a while. We enjoyed staying at The Cypress Inn because of it's old California style and located in the center of everything (Call and ask for a king on an upper floor away from kitchen noise.) It is easy to walk around, shop, walk to the beach and there are about a dozen wine tasting spots near by. If you want to shop for men's clothing, stop in at Khakis of Carmel. Be sure to make advanced dinner reservations.

In San Francisco I recommend Tadich Grill, the oldest restaurant in California, for classic San Francisco dishes especially seafood. Another old-school San Francisco place is House of Prime Rib which has been serving Martinis and beef since the 1940's. We used to stay at Campton Place on Union Square (great service, quiet bar, nice bar menu and fine dinning room) but I hear such awful things about downtown SF since Covid I honestly don't know where I would recommend you stay without being overrun with street people who can often be rude or aggressive. I now live in Santa Fe so perhaps a local can give a current update for a hotel rec?

Thank you for the awesome recs. Safety in downtown SF is one of my major concerns, though I admit I don’t know if that’s warranted or not.

I do regularly visit Manhattan, and have noticed it palpably deteriorate in the past 2-3 years.

When I was in my 20s, the “grittiness” of cities really appealed to me but that has changed since I got married and started my career.

Reactions: Gus

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you don't need to be downtown, I'd recommend staying at either the Inn- or Lodge at the Presidio. It's pretty, quiet, safe and you can walk to the Golden Gate Bridge, Crissy Field Beach and the Marina District -- which has a really nice feel and lots of good restaurants.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads