• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Captain O

Reaction score
About a month ago, I passed within 100 miles of San Francisco in Interstate 5. On the afternoon of the 21st, and on the afternoon of the 31st. That's as close as I care to get.
Think of San Francisco as a whole (hole)... I DO!

Funcheese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Is that 30 minutes just outside the city where, as one local said, "we have nature!". If I could find a place high on a hill that was defensible, then maybe.

I'm not sure "one good museum" is a selling point.

What's with the garbage on the streets?

Wanting a coffee, I'm sorry - "The best coffee in the country!" I stupidly got in line at some place called Blue Bottom or Blue Bird and had to listen the ******* chipper chick behind the counter greet everyone with a peppy "HI THERE!". After about 8 of those I left the line and looked for a Dunkin' Donuts. No luck.

lefty
It’s certainly not your father’s America. However it could be your daddy’s if you play your cards right ?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
About a month ago, I passed within 100 miles of San Francisco in Interstate 5. On the afternoon of the 21st, and on the afternoon of the 31st. That's as close as I care to get.
Think of San Francisco as a whole (hole)... I DO!
You're whining about SF but spent 8 days in Tijuana on purpose?

Captain O

Reaction score
You're whining about SF but spent 8 days in Tijuana on purpose?
People don't crap in the streets in Tijuana. The store owners I know are some of the greatest people. I stay in a nice hotel with air conditioning, new toiletries, fresh towels, and clean bedclothes (daily), as well as cable television, Wi-Fi, a Continental breakfast, and marble-tiled bathroom walls. On top of all that, I can call anywhere in the world just by asking the desk clerk to dial the number for me. The cost? it is all part of the room rent.
It is as good or better than $200.00 per night motels in the US and I paid an average of $42.50 per night. A Caesar Salad (where it was created in 1924) cost me $5.79 (+tip). I can eat lobster like a king in Puerto Nuevo (two tails and all the trimmings) for $20.00 USD.
I eat seafood every day for less than $5.00 USD and I can't eat it all in one sitting.
If I want to take a "group taxi" from Revolution Avenue to Playa de Tijuana (Tijuana Beach) I'll spend a princely .75 USD (75 cents or 15 pesos) and walk a total of seven blocks (one way) to get to the ocean (it is a five-mile one-way trip). $1.50 round trip and I can eat six giant prawns for $2.50 that has been charcoal-grilled over an open flame and seasoned with chile and fresh-squeezed lime juice from the fruit.
600ml of sparkling limeade (Penafiel) runs about $.45 from the local Waldo's Variety Store.
I set off 3 M-80s and an M250 on the beach. No one batted an eyelash.

In eight days and seven nights, I spent about $1300.00 USD in Tijuana as well as 30 miles from town. You could spend that much in one night in San Francisco. (including the $425.00 in gasoline to drive 2330 miles).

I could go on and on, but you can't beat the value I get for my money. San Francisco can go "skip a rope". (You can keep every bit of it).

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alas, I shaved my beard earlier this week. But the prick still applies.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wife and I ran up to the city for the day. Cold and dreary. We spent the whole way back talking about how much we loved it. I guess if you judge life from McMansion land it's got it's gritty side but I'll take it any day.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now that I'm vaccinated, I'm going to try and apply mine all over the place...
“It was thought that people whom God by his grace in life had preserved . . . would become better, humble, virtuous and catholic, avoiding inequities and sins and overflowing with love and charity for one another. But . . . the opposite happened. Men . . . gave themselves over to the most disordered and sordid behaviour than ever before. As they wallowed in idleness, their dissolution led them into the sin of gluttony, into banquets, taverns, delicate foods and gambling. They rushed headlong into lust” -- Matteo Villani (describing aftermath of the Black Death in the 1300s)

emptym

Reaction score
Aristotle wrote that to become virtuous, you often have to go from one extreme to another, sometimes bouncing back and forth a bit, till eventually you find virtue in moderation. I've always liked that. Could be because I'm from Las Vegas.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aristotle wrote that to become virtuous, you often have to go from one extreme to another, sometimes bouncing back and forth a bit, till eventually you find virtue in moderation. I've always liked that. Could be because I'm from Las Vegas.
Whenever I'm in Vegas, the Pepper Mill, and attached bar make me happy...

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like to feel I'm moderate in my excesses

emptym

Reaction score
Whenever I'm in Vegas, the Pepper Mill, and attached bar make me happy...
That's long been a local's favorite. I think I've only been once ever, but was a good time, with some old high school friends who were regulars.
I like to feel I'm moderate in my excesses
I sometimes feel like that old Billy Joel song

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"O Lord, make me chaste -- but not yet!"

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads