• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unknown.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TIL that San Jose is a bigger city than San Francisco.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
TIL that San Jose is a bigger city than San Francisco.
My dad, a font of useless knowledge, upon my moving to SF made sure that I knew that San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area. Thanks, pop.

Apparently a parent at one of these schools was chastised by the principal for sharing this story on ParentSquare. It’s very SanFo to kill the messenger.

Fifty150

Reaction score
The women look like men. Up close, ugly men.

It sounds like this guy was playing "The Crying Game". Born with male ********. Identifies as female. You went down. Now you're afraid that you liked it.

Fifty150

Reaction score
My dad, a font of useless knowledge, upon my moving to SF made sure that I knew that San Jose is the largest city in the Bay Area. Thanks, pop.

Apparently a parent at one of these schools was chastised by the principal for sharing this story on ParentSquare. It’s very SanFo to kill the messenger.

San Francisco has a parcel tax for funding education. Every property owner, whether you have children in public school or not, is taxed. That leaves the door open for a lot of other special interest. Politics = Money. Every registered voter in The City is allowed to vote for the school board. Politics = Money. When you examine those statistics, school board members are funded by and voted in by people who do not have children in the public schools. Those board members have no interest in your children, and are only accountable to special interest groups who donate to campaigns and raise campaign funds. We see the headlines about the corruption at City Hall with Public Works. What we don't see in the news, is that every department in The City, is corrupted in similar fashion.

The school district has to buy supplies, hire contractors, buy school lunches, lease space....... awarding city contracts and control over how that money is spent. There's someone who is interested in ensuring that they get those contracts. Then there's the kickbacks from existing and ongoing abuses.......it would boggle the mind. You don't believe that there's graft and corruption? Not just in San Francisco. Every city has some sort of corruption at every level.

Look at the recent headlines. If you change the names on 44 schools, how does that improve the learning experience? How does any child benefit from the cancel culture? How much will it cost to rebuild entire walls of buildings where the school name is built into the masonry, remove all signage, print new stationary, buy all new uniforms for the sports program? That money could be better spent of pencils, paper, books, laptops, et cetera. Out of the billions of children whom graduated from public schools named after historical figures, how many committed violated society, because the school was named Washington, Lincoln, Feinstein? I played on O.J. Simpson Field, and you don't see me voting for Biden.

What do we do with cleaning up the school board? A recall? Disallow campaign contributions and lobbying? Limit voting to actual parents of children who are enrolled in public school? Stop taxing property owners (or at least this property owner). Make every bathroom open to all genders?
Screenshot 2021-02-19 at 20.36.07.png

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
SFUSD is not corrupt. It's wrong. It's essential to make that distinction. You're overweighting campaign contributions as a driver for the board:

1613840500887.png

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The most corrupt thing happening with Cali school board elections is the charter freaks buying seats because the costs of a campaign are so low.

But overall, school boards probably shouldn’t be elected. There isn’t a perfect solution but having them elected doesn’t seem to be it.

Fifty150

Reaction score
The thing that a lot of people overlook is that whatever they report, is what they report. There's a lot of cash flow which isn't reported. Unaccounted for. Maybe a Rolex watch. Goods and services received. Meals. Hotel rooms. Trips. Other gifts. Not the 1st time I've heard of campaign rallies or fund raising events, where food & beverage worth thousands were served, with no reasonable accounting for the value of the food and beverage. Someone paid for it and sent it there. Staff was there to prep, serve, and clean up. They weren't all campaign volunteers. Sure, we know what the law is. Politicians are suppose to declare such items of value, and report it themselves. That doesn't always happen. It's like a house of worship. If there's a collection basket floating around, and it comes back with $10s & $20s.....or a blank white envelope has $500......and a lot of $500 stuffed envelopes are donated anonymously.....how much of that is accounted for? That's a probability, not a possibility. The SF school board is where it starts. Leland Yee made his bones there. It's a launching pad for misprision of public office.
Screenshot 2021-02-20 at 14.16.20.png

sfo423

Reaction score
What is the 'charter' of the board? Advance the voice of the parents/student? Something else? If it is to be a voice of the student/parents then we can simply add the 'issues' to be resolved/determined to an annual student family ballot. Done. (I wish).

Less can be more.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think someone here hasn’t observed SFUSD elections up close...

@sfo423, the school board should represent all stakeholders, not just the families of students. I think part of the problem is the notion that education is only for the students. It’s for all of society.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads