• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

UnFacconable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Took my son to get Korean fried chicken sandwiches from um.ma in the Inner Sunset yesterday because he saw something online about how insanely hot they are. We took them down to Crissy Beach, ate and immediately jumped back in the car to go to Safeway for a gallon of milk. Objective achieved I guess.

I live fairly close to there and have been to a lot of the restaurants but never Umma. Will have to check it out soon!

Been waiting for my tenant to move out of a condo I have down there. Finally gave notice this week and I'm planning to list in July. Not feeling great about it but it's not exactly a great time to rent it either.

She was originally going to vacate in December but agreed to stay until February and then ultimately stuck around month to month until now.

Whoops.
I sure hope you're right sugarbutch. My condo listing is a disaster and renters are in short supply. I do think we're looking at a severe overcorrection and that it's likely we do not see quite as drastic a shift to permanent WFH as many have predicted. A lot of the bigger companies like Google and Facebook are planning to have their workforces return. I would expect in the long term this is worse for commercial real estate than residential.

Finally rid myself of the condo. Ended up making out okay all things considered but it was a bit of a brutal process with months of little to no activity. Fortunately one person really liked it, and, as with many other things, all it takes is one.

I guess the good news is that I still feel confident that if I wait a bit to invest, the stock market will outperform the real estate market my condo was in. Won’t make up for the drop in value I had to accept due to COVID, but felt like this was the right choice. The purchase market appears to be rebounding now but the rental market is still dismal.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Somewhat related.

The district's arts department has decided to change its name, "VAPA" (visual and performing arts) to "SFUSD Arts Department" because they say "acronyms are a symptom of white supremacy culture," reports ABC7

Who's going to tell them there's still an acronym lurking in there?

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Everyone is telling them. ******* idiocy...

sfo423

Reaction score
I still can't make sense of this (not re-opening, although I know 'why'). Most of the policy changes over the past 20 years have been geared towards helping minorities / kids from less than great zip codes. But all the board and the union want to do is punish the the kids even more; further pushing them away from achieving a standardization to move to the next grade. SFUSD, they are simply incompetent.

SFUSD: a plan to make a plan (after 10 mos).
The board: They don't want to talk about re-opening, they want to focus on changing school names and shifting Lowell enrolment policy.
Union: The want to scuttle the entire year if possible (likely). Love working from home in jammies. Why they 'think' they need more protections than the highest health officers have prescribed is nothing more than a delay / scuttle tactic.

The Board and the Union are two peas in a pod (and are colluding). Sad.

Somewhat related.

Who's going to tell them there's still an acronym lurking in there?

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I still can't make sense of this (not re-opening, although I know 'why'). Most of the policy changes over the past 20 years have been geared towards helping minorities / kids from less than great zip codes. But all the board and the union want to do is punish the the kids even more; further pushing them away from achieving a standardization to move to the next grade. SFUSD, they are simply incompetent.

SFUSD: a plan to make a plan (after 10 mos).
The board: They don't want to talk about re-opening, they want to focus on changing school names and shifting Lowell enrolment policy.
Union: The want to scuttle the entire year if possible (likely). Love working from home in jammies. Why they 'think' they need more protections than the highest health officers have prescribed is nothing more than a delay / scuttle tactic.

The Board and the Union are two peas in a pod (and are colluding). Sad.
This is not an accurate summary of the union's requirements to return to the classroom. What's been reported is essentially what the private schools holding in-person classes in the city are doing, less the vaccine which wasn't available when they went back to the classroom:
  • all school employees get access to COVID-19 vaccines
  • teachers be provided with personal protective equipment
  • air purifiers
  • COVID safety training
  • proper ventilation for all classrooms.
These are not unreasonable demands, and the district should be able to satisfy all of the non-vaccine items and lobby to get them bumped up the queue. But they are doing **** all. This is on top of the district's rolling over on minimum teacher-led instruction hours for remote learning. They ******* suck at the administration of a school district and should all resign.

As for Lowell and school names, the district's approach to equity is to hamstring the top, give lip service to the bottom, and ignore the middle. So, these are wholly consistent with everything they've done in the decade-plus I've had to deal with them.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sugarbutch is right. (As usual.)

I’d just add that multiple surveys have shown that black and brown families are the most willing to wait for schools to reopen safely. They know what’s happening with their kids and the inequities of remote learning. But they also are the most likely to be at risk of COVID and living in crowded, multi-generational households in which the kids and parents aren’t the only members threatened by a transmission at school. White parents using those families to argue for reopening is just infuriating.

Also, every study that says schools can be reopened safely also says that the preconditions to safe reopening are exactly what the teachers are demanding. But reopeners don’t bother to read those parts of the studies.

sfo423

Reaction score
According to the principal of my kids school, all of these were ready in December (speaking on our school only), minus the COVID vax. The school was also going to take the temp of each kid entering the school; daily. The only item that sounded to me like there may be a shortage were the purifiers.

The pod program we have the kids in now has all the below except the vax and purifiers and we have not had one outbreak (1st thru-6th and ~200 kids since Sept).

This is not an accurate summary of the union's requirements to return to the classroom. What's been reported is essentially what the private schools holding in-person classes in the city are doing, less the vaccine which wasn't available when they went back to the classroom:
  • all school employees get access to COVID-19 vaccines
  • teachers be provided with personal protective equipment
  • air purifiers
  • COVID safety training
  • proper ventilation for all classrooms.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of my kids is at a private school, and they’re alternating weeks of remote and in-person class for the middle schoolers. They’ve had two non-community spread cases since November. There’s no interaction between the grades (teachers or students), so the other grades were not affected.

I would like to note that many of the wealthy families who can afford private school are among those who decided that they should not be denied a normal break, so they traveled for the holidays. The school held off on going back to campus until the middle of January to allow any Christmas cases to manifest themselves.

Public schools can reopen, but not with the resources they have currently.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Public schools can reopen, but not with the resources they have currently.
The state has also effectively bigfooted school districts that do want to reopen by pushing teachers down the priority list. We were expecting to have all our teachers vaccinated by next week and then CA said no you can't go to that category of workers until you've done all the 75-and-overs. And we have a lot of those, so the teachers are still in line.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The state has also effectively bigfooted school districts that do want to reopen by pushing teachers down the priority list. We were expecting to have all our teachers vaccinated by next week and then CA said no you can't go to that category of workers until you've done all the 75-and-overs. And we have a lot of those, so the teachers are still in line.
The greatest, most powerful country that ever was...

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
According to the principal of my kids school, all of these were ready in December (speaking on our school only), minus the COVID vax. The school was also going to take the temp of each kid entering the school; daily. The only item that sounded to me like there may be a shortage were the purifiers.

The pod program we have the kids in now has all the below except the vax and purifiers and we have not had one outbreak (1st thru-6th and ~200 kids since Sept).
I'm curious, did the principal provide a report regarding air exchange with a teacher plus the anticipated number of students in each classroom? My wife is in communication with a lot of teachers as part of her work, and the teachers keep saying that all the principals will do is offer some version of they had it checked and ventilation is fine.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The hand waving is strong...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads