• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

emptym

Reaction score
Sonic port on side of house and modem 10 feed away. Modem in back and mesh helps dristro signal throughout. Good enough to stream hi-def on TV 100+ feet away. Keep in mind that Sonic is not as fast as it used to be as everyone in your area is home and on wifi. But, for us, it was way better than AT&T which we had prior.
I have Sonic. There will be an equipment box on the side of your house/building. The ONT has to go inside, I think, close to some form of routing device. The ONT just passes the signal for internet and phone. You should be able to plug your Nest device that does routing and wifi directly into the ONT, or you can use the router that Sonic provides.

I kept their router but don't use it because they were still offering a discount if you kept it for a year at the time that I signed up.

I use Plume for mesh wifi and routing. One pod is plugged directly into the ONT. The Plume pod reports that I'm getting close to 1Gb at that point. My wifi speeds are good throughout my house.

I think that if you plug your Nest router directly into the ONT and then to your ethernet system, that should pass the signal through ethernet, but talk to the Sonic tech. The ones who did my install were great.
Thanks a lot, guys. I think the modem adds $10 a month to your bill, so I was hoping to avoid that if possible. I was imagining that we'd somehow wire the fiber to the CAT5/6 line in the garage. Maybe with the ONT in the middle, then plug the Nest into the ethernet port/outlet in our living room. I'd imagine that if we had to plug the Nest into the ONT down in the garage, the signal would be weakened in the house, particularly upstairs.
@sood, I posted here, because Sonic is a SF company (or Santa Rosa?) that's pretty common here.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Sonic and use Google Mesh system. (3 pods). You can plug the GMesh directly into the Sonic port; no modem needed. But, I tried that and speed was significantly reduced (w/out Sonic modem). Your results may be different.
Not sure if this applies to your situation, but I paid for 200mb broadband thru Spectrum. I have my own router and modem, an upgrade from what they offer. But I was maxing out at around 70mb. Through much pain ********** research, and using the google machine, I found out it was the QOS setting in my router. In theory, it partitions off broadband to different things so everything gets enough, in practice it was capping my signal.
I turned it off, and I went from 70mbs to 232mbs.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot, guys. I think the modem adds $10 a month to your bill, so I was hoping to avoid that if possible. I was imagining that we'd somehow wire the fiber to the CAT5/6 line in the garage. Maybe with the ONT in the middle, then plug the Nest into the ethernet port/outlet in our living room. I'd imagine that if we had to plug the Nest into the ONT down in the garage, the signal would be weakened in the house, particularly upstairs.
@sood, I posted here, because Sonic is a SF company (or Santa Rosa?) that's pretty common here.
Oh, I think I understand now. I believe that Sonic's preference is to install the ONT close to where you want your networking equipment to be. So, if you want it in the living room where you have your Nest router, their preference is to put it there too. If you're going to use their phone service, the ONT also needs to be close to a phone jack so that it can plug into it. In this scenario, they'll bring the fiber into your house and install the ONT near your Nest router. The ONT provides one ethernet port and one phone jack. You can then connect the ONT to the Nest router via ethernet and run an ethernet cable out of the router into your CAT5/6.

If you want the ONT installed in the garage, I think you need some kind of networking device between the ONT and your CAT5/6. You can't just patch the signal coming out of the ONT directly into the CAT5/6. But don't take my word for it, I'm just a country lawyer. The Sonic techs should be able to answer that question. If you do need a piece of networking equipment there, I agree that you don't want it to be the source for your wifi because the signal will suck. But if you put a piece of networking equipment between the ONT and the CAT5/6 in the garage, things get complicated because you only want one router operating on the network.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the help guys.
The installer came today and set it up so that the ONT and another box are in our garage. Then the ONT connects to our CAT cable, which connects to the ethernet jack in our living room.

When I connected the Google Nest directly to that, we were getting speeds in the 90s if the computer was connected to the Nest by ethernet cable and in 6-19 if on wifi. He said we should be getting 200-300 on wifi. So we tried a few things like switching out cables and connecting the Nest directly to the ONT in the garage. He was about convinced that it was our CAT cable, but then he hooked up their cheapest router and that bumped up speeds to 150-400, whether it was connected directly to the ONT or to the wall jack in our living room. So we figured it must be the Google Nest that's slowing things down.

Interestingly, there's two networking options, one with a extra "5G" ending. The one without 5G has a slower speeds, from 5-85 or so depending on where you are in the house. But it seems a little more stable, and he said it would work better in the back yard. A friend said this is pretty common with high speed internet services, but I'd never heard of it.

When he left, I tried connecting the Google Nest to their router and but that slows things down again. He was really surprised that the Nest was so slow. He thought it was usually faster than Eero, which they offer. But he said there was some advance setting I should try (switching from 2mh to 4 or something? Edit: I think he must have said 2.4ghz to. 5).

Last edited:

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My Eero was just plug and go to the ATT modem/router (using fiber, 300 Mbps download plan). The other two Eero are remote, one kitchen and one bedroom.

Just checked Eero on my phone app and shows fastest download 413 and 376 Mbps upload.

On almost one year now and no drop connections on wifi. The Amazon Echo in my garage to the FireTV stick and Amazon Echo Studio all work like a charm. Also, all my Ring devices from front to backyard sync perfectly. YMMV but I think maybe you should try out Eero. On the other hand, it seems like I'm on the Amazon ecosystem so ?‍♂️

Living space is 1500 sq ft, single story home FWIW. Also, ATT only has one box mounted on my wall with the wire coming in from the outside.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
That's pretty good! We had ATT dsl. The Google mesh worked great with the ATT modem/router.
Oh, shoot, thanks for reminding me that I need to redo the Ring connection.

My kids really liked saying "Hey Google." I'm guessing Echo has that too. I liked how their puck things have clocks on them.

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was only kidding while while waiting for some code to finish running, I wish I could get Sonic at our home in (Pleasanton/ Dublin area)!

Coffandcig

Reaction score

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yes. A city that sees and responds to the needs of its poorest citizens (imperfectly, of course)

sfo423

Reaction score
SF politicians; known worldwide as the leaders in finding expensive solutions for problems that (a) don't exist or (b) can be solved inexpensively.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SF politicians; known worldwide as the leaders in finding expensive solutions for problems that (a) don't exist or (b) can be solved inexpensively.
But solutions nonetheless.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

Hey can you wave that magic wand over the homeless situation?

Kthnxbai

sfo423

Reaction score
Hey, just throw more money at the problem. That has worked wonders for the past 30 years.

Maybe time time to blow up the homeless industrial complex and start over? Could it get worse?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads