• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that naked person still taking classes?

emptym

Reaction score
Does anyone have Sonic fiber internet? We're having it installed tomorrow, and I was wondering if I need to get their modem. They give you two options, a non-specified modem and the Eero system. We have the Google Nest system, and I was hoping we could just use that. I've read conflicting things about whether we'd need a modem as well. It seems like people just plug the Eero system into some kind of white box Sonic includes (I think it's called an optical network terminal or ONT). Here's a pic of that from a recent Yelp review:
o.jpg

Eero doesn't have a modem, afaik, and so if it can be plugged directly into that box, I'm hoping the Google one could be too.

I'm also wondering if they would connect the the fiber to the ethernet outlet in our TV room of if they're just going to run it into our garage. If so, I'm wondering if we'd need to hire an electrician to connect it to that wall outlet.

If anyone knows, I'd appreciate learning from you.

Last edited:

sfo423

Reaction score
I have Sonic and use Google Mesh system. (3 pods). You can plug the GMesh directly into the Sonic port; no modem needed. But, I tried that and speed was significantly reduced (w/out Sonic modem). Your results may be different.

emptym

Reaction score
Thanks, @sfo423. That's really interesting. I wonder why that woulld be. If you don't mind my asking, where did they install the ONT box and where do you have the Sonic modem? Is it in your garage or plugged into an ethernet port in your house?

sfo423

Reaction score
Sonic port on side of house and modem 10 feed away. Modem in back and mesh helps dristro signal throughout. Good enough to stream hi-def on TV 100+ feet away. Keep in mind that Sonic is not as fast as it used to be as everyone in your area is home and on wifi. But, for us, it was way better than AT&T which we had prior.

Thanks, @sfo423. That's really interesting. I wonder why that woulld be. If you don't mind my asking, where did they install the ONT box and where do you have the Sonic modem? Is it in your garage or plugged into an ethernet port in your house?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t have Sonic or GMesh. Is the latter meant to act as wireless extensions for areas far away from the main wireless router?

sfo423

Reaction score
Do not need to be a Google mesh system as their are lots of competing vendors. But, in short, it extends the signal (and in strength).

What is a mesh network?
Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi are mesh network Wi-Fi systems. A mesh network is a group of devices that act as a single Wi-Fi network; so there are multiple sources of Wi-Fi around your house, instead of just a single router. These additional Wi-Fi sources are called points.
Since Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi are broadcasted from each point around your house (and not just a single router), they can provide better coverage over a wider space. If you have a large house, you can add more points for additional Wi-Fi coverage.
All points are connected to each other wirelessly. As long as they are within range, they can communicate with one another wirelessly without the need for a router or switch. This allows for fast and efficient data routing.
But if you do want to use wired connections, you can. Make sure that your points are wired into a switch and that the switch is wired to the LAN port of the router or primary point (the one connected to your modem). The wired points will recognize the wired connection and route traffic over Ethernet. Learn more about hardwiring Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi routers and points.
How is this different from a traditional Wi-Fi network?
In a traditional Wi-Fi network, your phone or laptop is connected to a single router, and all communication passes through that single router. The farther you are from the router, the weaker the signal.
With Google Nest Wifi and Google Wifi mesh systems, you'll have multiple Wifi points in your house, so you’re never far from one.
What are the benefits of a mesh network?
Here are some benefits of a mesh network:
  1. Flexible coverage: Additional points can be added to get better coverage in hard-to-cover areas like hallways and near walls for outdoor coverage.
  2. Self healing: In a mesh network, if one point goes down, communication is simply rerouted through another point. Note: If your router or primary point goes offline (the one connected to your modem), so will your entire network. You’ll also get a notification in the app after a few minutes.
  3. Direct path: Since all of the points are connected to each other, data can take several paths toward its destination⁠ and it’ll always choose the best route from Point A to Point B.

I don’t have Sonic or GMesh. Is the latter meant to act as wireless extensions for areas far away from the main wireless router?

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have Sonic. There will be an equipment box on the side of your house/building. The ONT has to go inside, I think, close to some form of routing device. The ONT just passes the signal for internet and phone. You should be able to plug your Nest device that does routing and wifi directly into the ONT, or you can use the router that Sonic provides.

I kept their router but don't use it because they were still offering a discount if you kept it for a year at the time that I signed up.

I use Plume for mesh wifi and routing. One pod is plugged directly into the ONT. The Plume pod reports that I'm getting close to 1Gb at that point. My wifi speeds are good throughout my house.

I think that if you plug your Nest router directly into the ONT and then to your ethernet system, that should pass the signal through ethernet, but talk to the Sonic tech. The ones who did my install were great.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My work has one of those ice machines that has Sonic style ice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads