1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Here's the actual video of the names being read:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The shows director was probably thinking "ho le fuk".....

4. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Actually, that makes me love San Francisco.

5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It makes me want to punch their news director in the fucking face. It's insulting to the people who died and were injured on that plane and is just plain stupid.

They used to be here in San Francisco that all the stupid people were in government and the smart people were in the media. Now the government has gotten slightly and all the idiots are moving to the media.

1 person likes this.
  6. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2013/130712.html

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Hahahaha, a summer intern.

8. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

You mean someone wasn't paid to check resources?

The irony that San Francisco prides itself on progressive fascism, while airing such blatantly hilarious racist names (was disappointed when she pronounced "fuk") is such so....rich.

9. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

10. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

Negativland made an entire album from fake stories they were able to get local news stations to broadcast.

11. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

There's apparently going to be some sort of announcement from KTVU on Monday.

The most likely scenario here is that a fake press release was generated, either by some joker in the newsroom staff, or by an outside party who faxed it to the station. They then called NTSB to confirm. Presumably a clueless intern took the call. He (?) could've just confirmed it not knowing any better, or said "lemme check on that" and then got hung up on, who knows?

12. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

can't believe the news reader just read that and didn't stop midway or something. sum ting wong's already a dead giveaway its a prank.

13. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

14. msg

msg Senior member

So, there's a couple companies in the Bay Area who've asked me to interview. One company is downtown, the other in a nearby suburb.

How do I get an accurate sense of the cost of living in SF vs the burbs?

I live in a large city currently, no income tax, and have dual incomes (with two young kids).

Feels like SF real estate is just crazy (and so are the areas nearby), unless you've already cashed out in an IPO. Even if my wife and I found comparable salaries (or even higher salaries), cost of living seems much higher; CA likes taxes.

4 bedroom homes (whether renting or buying) in desirable neighborhoods (what little I can tell of what desirable is) seem to going for premiums.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Well, for SF on the peninsula, take the most nightmarish amount you can imagine paying for a 4 BR and quadruple it.

Seriously, unless you're living in New York (which you arent, based on the income tax) and able to afford a 4BR, or you have a boatload of cash laying around, forget about being able to afford a 4BR in SF. SF rents are currently on par with Manhattan, if not more.

The suburbs, I honestly have no idea.

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Rents in SF are much lower than manhattan. home prices comparable. You don't get much of a break in the burbs to the south, and certainly not in marin, but in the east bay prices do decline significantly. However, the commute can be terrible. finding a place in Berkeley is an ordeal worse than dealing with brokers in manhattan.

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Fair, you'd certainly know a lot more about it than me. The folks I know living in SF are paying just as much for their 1BRs as a 1BR in Manhattan, but they could just be living in super trendy neighborhoods. Lot of startup money floating around jacking up rents.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  18. lefty

lefty Senior member

^^ And you have to live in Berkeley. Fuck that.

Rents are lower, but the process is soul sucking. Craigslist.

Negotiate a housing allowance. There are a few neighbourhoods in the city proper where the cost is less; sunset, richmond, but my best guess for a decent house is easily 12k+ if not ++.

Strangely, you keep adding +'s the closer you move to people you'd never want to live near.

lefty

Last edited: Jul 15, 2013
  19. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

the strange thing about the SF RE market is that prices are very, very high but the rent-buy delta (or whatever) is rather large, and much larger than Manhattan.

So, renting in NYC will cost you (more or less) the same amount as a mortgage+fees (assuming a low interest rate and 20% down). However, in SF the rent will be lower. Not sure why this is. At least, it used to be that way. I do look a the RE section whenever I am home so I think this is still true ...

20. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored