• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Liberty Cafe. The original owner died, and it's since been taken over by the owners of the Italian restaurant across the street. Of course, San Francisco being San Francisco (and, perhaps more to the point, Bernal being Bernal), there's been lots of kvetching about how it's been ruined. Seems about the same to me, except maybe breakfast is better now.

At WSW, around one or the other of the last two elections, my friends and I had the misfortune to be sitting near a young couple on the cozy deck out back. They overheard our political conversation and joined in. It was then I was reminded that the only thing worse than stupid people whose views you abhor is stupid people who agree with you. Which can happen pretty frequently here on our fine little hill.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I waited in line at Ici's the other day in Berkeley, but the cinnamon graham cracker gelato was pretty fantastic. Further down the street, Tara's usually has no line and more interesting flavors. The lemongrass is pretty good as was the Earl Grey, and there are things like white pepper/chocolate chip, pandan, and allspice. I think we saw a line half a block long at Ici's on Sunday night at 10.

The other night we waited in line at Hopscotch in Oakland. The food and service were nice.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Lefty knows that he hates Berkeley and Oakland. It's San Francisco that leaves him ambivalent.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Definitely fallen off that fence.

In other SF news ... RIP you old hippie.

lefty

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe you should change the name of the thread to "I thought I hated San Francisco, and now I know"

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
I like Berkeley. Oakland is pretty awful. I don't get the appeal.

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like Berkeley. Oakland is pretty awful.

In Oakland people at least get the hell out of my way. In Berkeley they walk, drive, bike all over the place oblivious to anything. Or, perhaps just to annoy me. Probably the latter.

eglbc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
any hotel recs for SF? heading down from pdx to check the barry mcgee retrospective @ berkley. Usually stay at kabuki, but want to mix it up.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

any hotel recs for SF? heading down from pdx to check the barry mcgee retrospective @ berkley. Usually stay at kabuki, but want to mix it up.

But what are you looking for? Tragically hip? View of the bay? Cheap? Tech bigtimer?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heard more car honking in Berkeley than anywhere else in California. My friend who lives there says that's because they're indignant about almost everything: whale killing, nukes, and cars getting in their way. Strangely, they are very solicitous towards peds and bikes: if you even look like you might want to cross a street, cars will stop.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Civilized parts of San Francisco > Berkeley > The rest of San Francisco > Oakland

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Piedmont is nice. Although it is not technically Oakland, it is completely surrounded by Oakland. Then there are the Piedmonty-parts of Oakland, the Oakland Hills, and Rockridge. Those are all very nice. Then you have the geographically nice parts of Oakland that suck for other reasons, such as Lake Merritt, which should be nice but isn't. The rest of Oakland is best forgotten, which is a shame because it is a great location.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads