I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I think "tourist place" is a way of saying that it's no longer hip. A tourist place is the Rainforest Cafe.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

This. We might not be natives, but 20 years in The City means we're definitely not tourists, and we eat at SD at least half a dozen times a year, counting Out The Door in the Westfield Center, my go to lunch around Union Square.

Slanted Door has definitely gone through up and down phases in terms of quality and service, but every meal I've had there (or at Out the Door) for the past few years has been excellent.

3. A Y

A Y Senior member

Is is open again? It was closed for a while due to flooding or something. It's my favorite quick dinner spot if I'm seeing a show in that area.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i think there's a bit of the indy band syndrome with SD, too. it was everybody's favorite restaurant when it was in that little hole in the mission. but when it moved to ferry, it got popular with the hoi polloi as well (as i understand it, phan was one of the first tenants to commit and has an absolutely unbelievable lease)

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Good question - it was closed the last time I looked, but that was a couple of months ago.

Edit: still closed.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  6. fuzzyearlobes

fuzzyearlobes Senior member

THis. The Slanted Door was the first fusion restaurant that was ever mentioned to me when I first moved here. Its no longer cool to SF residents because its no longer niche and unique, and they cant brag about being in the know of a hip little ethnic place.

7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

It's also pretty underwhelming to tell people that it was Bill Clinton's favorite place in SF when he was POTUS

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Slanted Door is still good. All you visitors can rest easy.

9. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I don't know how you know that song - but thinking about it just made my day. Used to listen to RBL Posse in high school before Mr. Cee's untimely demise.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  10. Kvc06

Kvc06 Senior member

Can someone give some some recommendations on must do things in SF? Including some cheap but unique restaurants? I'm headed to SF in a few weeks and know absolutely nothing about the city. I prefer to stay away from touristy spots (for example Navy Pier here in Chicago).

11. cheessus

cheessus Senior member

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Here's a nice little travelogue that hits all the main sights. Need a car though.

lefty

13. comrade

comrade Senior member

I grew up in NewYork and live in the burbs- Palo Alto, which is actually more expensive than SF.
    The same more or less is often said about New York. Affordable green space? That's for coffee-swilling
    idiots in flannel shirts with back packs. There is a reason that San Francisco, New York, Paris, London,
    Hong Kong , etc. are not "affordable". It is because more people who can earn, or aspire to earn, serious money
    cram these cities and make them "unaffordable". The same people, more often than not, do "interesting
    work" which makes such places different from, say Dallas, which in boom times is still a hot humid shit hole

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  14. grit

grit Senior member

I was at a crepe place in the mission and I overheard two fresh-out-of-college jackasses at the table next to me bitching about how this girl at work was trying to tell them how to do stuff and they were like "I think I'm gonna do it my way" and apparently the girl got mad so then the guy talking was like "She's just mad cause she's 30 and she hasn't done anything in her life" and I was about to be like "You dickwits, I'm 30 and you don't know a god damn thing about doing something with your life. You are lab rats masquerading as biotech product designers and you will never progress beyond that because you don't know how to work with people outside of your own tiny little messenger-bag fixed-geared overcaffeinated disgustingly-coiffed sphere and when you are 30 your major accomplishment will have been sucking at the teat of the government set up by the generation before you, having returned nothing of value to the society which nurtured you" but then my crepe came and it was pretty choice so I wasn't so mad anymore.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Wife and kids are out of town, so I've been on the town every night this week. Maybe I'll get out of the Mission/Bernal area tonight...