I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

I think it's genuine juvenility masked as irony.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I'm sure the original designers thought they were creating a luxurious experience, with carpet and upholstered seats, but boy was that one of the worst decisions of all time.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I think you've just captured the San Francsico gestalt.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Much as I loathe this place it does have a few shining spots.

This Saturday is Mel's Day at the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club. Show up early if you want to use a club rod.

[​IMG]

The Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club Presents the Mel Kieger Casting School

In honor of Mel Krieger, this casting clinic is offered at no-charge to club members and the general public. The clinic will be held at the finest casting facility in the world "THE GOLDEN GATE ANGLING & CASTING CLUB" located in Golden Gate Park. A limited number of fly rods will be available. Lunch will be available for the nominal fee of $8.00/person.

[​IMG]Recognized for three decades as the top fly fishing instructor in the United States and much of the world, Mel Krieger is famous for a fine-tuned teaching approach that makes learning the sport easy, fast, and lots of fun! Tens of thousands of fly casters have learned the fundamentals at Mel's elbow, including many of the world's finest fishermen, champion casters, expert anglers, guides, and instructors. The Mel Krieger Method of teaching is quick and successful.

The clinic will feature Mel Krieger trained Fly Fishing Federation Certified Fly Casting Instructors

But in other fucked up SF news...

NSFW for normal people. Seriously.

http://blip.tv/politics-from-the-heart/my-naked-truth-rusty-and-lloyd-1670433

lefty

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012

5. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

People on styleforum do, we have a shitload of threads about that. They wanna make sure they get all the cool points from having gone to the right restaurents/sights/bars.

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Best and brightest? WTF, we're talking about a bunch of nerds developping web applications or whatever, hardly consequential stuff (and yes, $$$, who cares).

7. Thor

Thor Senior member

The casting pools are great- I used to be a member and practiced regularly...

Golden Gate Park in general is a great resource...

8. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

City parks are getting a lot better lately, after years of neglect. In general we're very lucky on the parkland front, between GG Park, GGNRA, all the open space on the Peninsula, etc, although I shudder to think what will happen to the state park system with the closures and resulting deferred maintenance.

Weird weather the last couple of days - two days running I've gotten on BART in the Mission in the rain, and gotten off downtown in sunshine with clear skies overhead.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

FTFY :teach:

10. PrepintheWest

PrepintheWest New Member

I am so glad you posted this. I had to move to SF for 3 years from NYC. I am almost finished with my first year. I came here with an open mind and positive thoughts, but there is only one conclusion: San Francisco sucks.

1) No wonder everyone's high. You have to be to tolerate this place.
    I'm no prude but everywhere you walk, it smells like weed. Everywhere. It's not just on occasion. It's 24/7. It's beyond annoying now. Get a life people. Which brings me to my next point.
    2) No one even tries.
    Maybe because they are stoned all day or maybe because there isn't a competitive environment like in New York. In bigger cities, every one puts such care and thought into everything they do: their clothes, their work, their look. I'm not talking about "image" I just mean like combing your hair or shaving. Which brings me to my next point...
    3) If you want "the best" in anything, look elsewhere.
    Clearly a "five star" restaurant in SF does not mean the same thing as a five star restaurant anywhere else. I've been to several "top rated" restaurants in SF and they are obviously using a different scale. Every place is as dingy and unclean as the next. And never trust the whole "People Love us on Yelp." That means a whole heap of nothing.
    4) The weather.
    It is cold and windy ALL the time. I kept waiting for summer to come. It didn't. I wore my winter jacket all year round. I live in California. The weather shouldn't be better in Maine than it is here. But it is. And when you do get a beautiful day and want to enjoy the park. Guess what? The whole thing smells like weed! All the unemployed, self-absorbed losers are getting high next to your children. Bravo San Francisco.
    5) Difficult to get anywhere.
    The public transportation sucks. Unreliable. Slow. And even if you are fortunate enough to live near a bus or MUNI line as I do, it is so jerky and nauseating. That's because of all those hills. Oh yeah. So even walking places isn't usually an option. The only advantage to living on a hill is it keeps the crazies and weirdos away. Sometimes. Which brings me to my last point.
    6 ) It's a shame...
    I don't know if it's the residue of the 60's and 70's, but it is so, so sad that there are so many people here with untreated mental disabilities. The city really needs to address this. Every city has homeless and mentally disturbed people, but in SF this number is disproportionate to it's general population.

I know some people will object with what I have to say but these are my truths and perhaps people who share my opinions won't feel alone (like I did before I found this thread.)

11. Thor

Thor Senior member

Indeed...its access to open space that was one to the things that drew me to SF and helps assuage the other BS highlighted in this thread.

Its unprecedented to be able to leave a major metropolitan city and immediately have access to 100,000s of acres of open, public space.

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Exactly. We're quite lucky that way.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

San Francisco ... really nice when you leave! should be a bumper sticker.

This thread is fourth when you google search "hate+San Francisco." C'mon fellows, let's knock it over the top.

lefty

14. Thor

Thor Senior member

I find it hilarious when people complain about the weather in SF...as if "California" is supposed to mean Sunny beach days all the time as fed to them by TV and movies...

Having grown up in the Midwest and lived on the East Coast for years...the weather here is awesome.

Its a moderate Mediterranean climate...not too hot, not too cold...

I would take a January day in SF over a January day in Maine anytime...

Don't like cool foggy June days? drive 10 miles inland and it will be sunny and hot....a dry heat without humidity and mosquitoes.

You can grow anything here...flowers bloom here all year long...you get fresh, local produce all year long.

There is plenty wrong with SF but the weather and climate are not it.

Current temp in SF: 57 degrees...current temp in Portland, ME 55 degrees...

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Anyone comparing SF weather to Maine weather has never spent any time in Maine.

Winter: arctic cold

Spring: aka mud season

Summer: hot and muggy, billions of skeeters and blackflies

Fall: leaf peepers crowding the roads for the entire week