Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

No, but my wife does.

:slayer:

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I hear the folks at Google care a lot about attending Stanford.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

3. sidkane

sidkane Active Member

[/quote]

The best and brightest thing made the entire thread laugh, but this is an admirable Grade A booster post. [/quote]

My comment sounded more douchey than intended.

The point I was trying to make was that, for better or worse, people come here/SV from all over believing that they've got an idea that will change the world and they can hit it big based on brains. My experience has been that people don't care where/if you've gone to college, what color you are, your sex, who you marry or what you wear as long as you are capable. That creates a kind of energy that I think is very unique and exciting.

4. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Yeah, fuck those guys.

5. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

nah, for that you have to go to Santa Monica. or Silver Lake.

6. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Let's ask the local rag. http://projects.latimes.com/mapping-la/neighborhoods/neighborhood/silver-lake/
    [​IMG] Now let's do a proper city-city comparison: Los Angeles Population: 3,792,621 White persons, percent, 2010 (a) 49.8% Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 9.6% American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 (a) 0.7% Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 11.3% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 (a) 0.1% Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 4.6% Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 48.5% White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 28.7% San Francisco Population: 805,235 White persons, percent, 2010 (a) 48.5% Black persons, percent, 2010 (a) 6.1% American Indian and Alaska Native persons, percent, 2010 (a) 0.5% Asian persons, percent, 2010 (a) 33.3% Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander, percent, 2010 (a) 0.4% Persons reporting two or more races, percent, 2010 4.7% Persons of Hispanic or Latino origin, percent, 2010 (b) 15.1% White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2010 41.9%

7. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    i knew i'd get mordy out of the bushes on that one!

8. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

I like Foreign Cinema. Never had to wait.

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Talk about setting the bar low

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

11. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

WTF is going on here? Is she taking a piss while letting her tits hang out for some unknown reason? And was this just on a street somewhere?

12. royskeen

royskeen Senior member

My g'friend works at google. Went to Reed.

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

They tend to have lines on Sat and Sun, but it's rarely out the door, unless it's sunny. Not nearly as bad as Bi-Rite.
    Must be the mustache.
    I was just going to post this. No lines out by me in Bayview, Sunnydale or Excelsior.
    l o l. But M makes a good pt about tourists usually not planning ahead. Of course, a tourist in the Mission probably doesn't just stumble upon Foreign Cinema...
    Get a motorcycle and never wait in that line again. Bicycle would work too. If I'm in a car, I park and eat at Lucky Penny and do my grocery shopping while the order's being made. You could also park across the street on the street or in the MUNI lot on weekends or evenings.

14. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

I grew up in Seattle and in San Diego, I moved back and forth between those cities literally every 2 years. It's given me a unique perspective, I can identify as a Californian or Not a Californian. People outside of CA often seem to loath those from Cali, it's true they move in w/ lots of money, push up real estate prices, and in the case of the NW bring in chain stores that none of the locals ever wanted.
    As an adult I've lived in: Melbourne Australia, Santa Cruz, San Diego, Seattle and San Fran. It's true that people are competitive in big cities... and as someone else said, bad drivers. I found Seattle to be very similar to SF and dislike it about as much... but people here are just a little more mean, a little more entitled, a little more ready to crush anyone or thing in their way.

Someone described California as having a "Gold Rush" mentality and I think that's very true. I think SF was very different before the dot com boom and I wish I could've been here then. I think that mentality makes people money focused, and also focused mostly on themselves. I want to live somewhere where a feeling of community really exists. Even with all of it's neighborhoods I don't find the feeling of community anywhere in SF. I will say though, I like that I'm queer and no one cares. That is a very unique thing SF has going for it... you can be into literally anything here and no one raises an eyebrow. That's my positive concession to SF.
    I'm not a hippie, but I miss feeling like I can trust my neighbors and that everyone isn't out to take my money. I know plenty of folks are going to Austin, plenty are staying away too. It's the best mix of city/country (where I wont be gay bashed) that's still close to anything cultural I can come up with. I'd love to hear peoples ideas on other 'good' cities to move to in the US though.