Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

The sandinistas here in San Francisco can't be beat.

2. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

I don't know how many apartments you've had in SF Sugar Butch, but you may recall actually renting any apartment here being an INSANE process. People have rental resumes, cover letters, bring gifts and send thank you cards to property managers for letting them see the place. People go to open houses with resumes, applications, and cash in hand, like everything else here it is extremely competitive. And like everything else here, not being rich makes it even harder. My cousin works for the EPA, pulls in like 60K a year and is only 25, and it took him 6 months and over 25 rental apps to actually lock a studio down. So, ya, we ended up in a place that was 'affordable', where actually signing a lease wasn't a nightmare. And no, I had no idea the cable cars clattered so loudly for so long every day. I hate it when people push me to defend myself on a forum... or maybe that type of aggressiveness is just very San Francisco.

By the way, I'm a woman.

As far as Austin goes, I can't wait to be in the hot weather, I'm constantly cold here, often shivering. Everyone else seems to hate how hot it gets there, maybe that's why all the jerks from 'metropolitan' cities like SF aren't moving there.

3. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

Is this true, is the real estate market really that bad here right now? I can't see the truth of the matter through all the smug, but it wouldn't be surprising.

4. sidkane

sidkane Active Member

I live here (Bay Area) and agree, but isn't that true of any popular city (eg, Paris, ny)? It's like a very expensive buffet. You are paying for the shrimp, so you better get the shrimp or it's not worth it. For me, it is a very unique mix of climate, beauty and opportunity that attracts the best and brightest from all over the world.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

As I typed "grown man" I hesitated because I did consider the possibility that you're a woman...

Anyway, I'm not expecting you to defend yourself, but when you post such a screed, you surely anticipate some reaction, no? The intensity of the rental process here is a function of the neighborhood. My understanding is that the difficulty of securing a mortgage, even for gainfully employed people, has pushed many more into the rental market, making it tough in more desirable parts of town. They're not all like that (and some are much warmer than others).

I think you'll also find Austin full of insufferable hipsters and Californian metro jerks priced out of the market here, happy to drive up the price of real estate there. That process has been ongoing for more than a decade. And, folks apparently "can't drive" in every city, at least if you believe the hype. You'll certainly get the chance to find out for sure in Austin, because their transit is even worse than SF's, and not nearly as pervasive. Plus, you know, rednecks.

But Austin does have many redeeming qualities, and may be exactly what you're looking for. If so, mazel tov! I sincerely wish you well.

6. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

@ Cuddle, where are you from? SF is expensive, yes but the people are not any more competitive than anywhere else. Less so, I'd say.
    It's hard to call people that dress so poorly competitive.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

7. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I agree with cuddleclutch, who sounds to be a neighbor of mine. People here are super competitive, mainly about how annoyingly douchetastic they can be.

8. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

The best and brightest thing made the entire thread laugh, but this is an admirable Grade A booster post.

9. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

its the asians... they're hella competitive...and they invented the "humble brag" aka false humility 5000 years ago in china and it stuck and spread rampantly throughout the bay area...

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Yawn.

11. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This post makes me lol.

Well played.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    You would think that the food lines would be a competition for position jockeying but people are sadly compliant. Like Moscovites in 1973.

Except for the line of cars trying to get into the Trader Joes on Masonic. Bloodsport.

I laughed. Then I cried. Now I'm strangely numb.

Call me Tania.

[​IMG]

lefty

13. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

See, you still don't get the curious logic of San Francisco. There is no jockeying in line because the goal is the line, and being able to twit to your friends that you spent a combined three hours in food lines over the weekend. To jockey for position means that you want the food when the time in line is the prize.

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I've decided to start a new business, "We're Waiting for You". Our prices range from $1,000 for a primo place on line to buy the latest iPad, to $10 for holding your place on the Whole Foods check-out line while you grab another bio-dynamically grown buddha's hand lemon.

Austin is my first target market. Apparently Austinites are too cool to wait for food, so I see a real need for our services.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Jockeying to maintain the same position - like a cork in the ocean - ensuring that they never have to leave the line.

lefty