I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

Hi All,

I've had a terrible time in this city, I'd like to take a moment to rant about my experiences / impressions of this place. I wish you could Yelp Review cities, I'd give it -5 stars:

Firstly I pay $1600 for a 1 bdr apartment, and that's a 'good deal' because it's next to a trolley line that clanks and clatters from 7am till 2pm. Said trolley line takes boatloads of tourists down the small hill outside of my apartment, and they scream "whooooo" as if they are on a roller coaster almost every time. The tourists are everywhere. The people who live here are no better. People have no idea how to conduct themselves in public: they take up entire aisles at grocery stores, the have absolutely no awareness of anyone in front, behind or to the side of them, their San Franciscan pals take up the whole sidewalk while strolling to their 'foodie' destination. The food itself is not impressive, unless you have upwards of $20 to spend on every meal. The coffee is also terrible. For a city full of Batistas with Masters Degrees I've never had more poorly pulled Americanos in my life. I hate Seattle for many of the same reasons, but at least Batistas there can make coffee.

The hipsters and rich people are completely self absorbed and insufferable... the world revolves around them, don't forget it. Which may explain why people are such TERRIBLE drivers, I fear for my life every time I get on my bike or scooter. The public transit here is a joke and does not serve working people at all... it's intended as an alternative for folks with cars who want to save a little money on gas. Don't believe me? listen to the NPR interview with BART's new public relations manager. Oh, and you have to pay for scooter parking. WTF? Are you kidding me?

The homeless problem is an epidemic, my partner is a social worker and I'd never heard the term 'homeless industrial complex' until living here. She basically serves as a cog in a system that sends people from street, to hospital, to shelter, to rehab program, back to street. There is a lot of money flowing through this completely ineffective system, which tears people down and produces some of the worlds scariest and most aggressive homeless and drug addicted folks ever.

Basically, this is one of the most ego driven, competitive, expensive cities I have ever seen. In order to make it here you have to make a lot of money, and if you don't the rent, fees and restrictions on everything feel crushing. It's like you have to be Uber You to be successful here, have a shtick and a gimmick, it's like everyone you interact with is selling themselves... there are very few people I trust in this city.

To top it all off we got bed bugs, (also and epidemic in SF) we discovered them a month before packing up to get out of this hell hole. We had to pressure and threaten our landlords to help us fumigate, but only our apartment. We have to fumigate our stuff separately and that's going to cost $1,000. UGH. Good bye and Good Riddance San Francisco, I can't wait to be free from you strangle hold!

2. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

PS apologies for the super long post... I don't intend to hijack the thread.

3. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

4. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

You're right, san francisco sucks, that's why it's one of the lowest price real estate markets in the US--nobody lives here and you really can't give their houses away @ this point.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Prada is great because it sells out and is very expensive

6. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

Oh, I'd lose my mind. No Way. Gonna try Austin... living a few miles out from the city, and actually having a back yard again.

7. cuddleclutch

cuddleclutch Member

Heard a few folks bashing Austin here too. Nowhere is perfect, at least it's not such a grind there.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

8. Dbear

Dbear Senior member

^ except the resale value on prada is shit. if we're talking analogies, I would liken it closer to Alden.

9. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

San Francisco is like a Radiohead show. It's expensive and sells out, and while nice aesthetically, the people make it intolerable.

10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

^ that's a pretty good analogy, actually.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

San Francisco is like a bunch of annoying, self important douchenozzles running around fucking up a beautiful piece of land with shitty architecture, bad laws and general smug assholery.

Wait, that wasn't an analogy at alll.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    I'd agree if I knew who radiohead was.

Quote:
    And bad batistas. Don't forget them.

lefty

13. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

You chose to live on a street with a cable car, but it's SF's fault? The city is far from perfect, but I would think that a grown man would know by now whether he's sensitive to street noise and shop accordingly.

Austin: Wants to be San Francisco with cowboy boots, but is actually Houston without the necessary highways to support every Texan's GOD-GIVEN RIGHT TO DRIVE. I remember it fondly, but wouldn't consider moving back. Also, do you know it's hot as balls in tighty whiteys on a fat man? Because it is.

14. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

:confused: Oh God, San Francisco can't be this bad, can it?

15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Not quite sure how to read that, Bhowie.