I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

hah. You have the city all wrong, newb. Douchey is on Union, smug is everywhere else.

2. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I feel like we swapped out a "we're arty, poor and hip" smugness for a "we're techie, rich and hip" smugness. Same shit, different day.

I don't really get the sense that SF is a more hostile place than anywhere else in the US, but maybe it's just me. I don't tend to go to trendy restaurants, I go to the same favorite places over and over again, where my wife and I are greeted by name and with hugs more often than not. I know dozens of my neighbors by name, and count many as friends.

Local politics are goofy, but mostly harmless. I mean, if people want to stand up for their right to sit down naked, good for them, even if I wish they'd wear some effing clothing already.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

3. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    the thing i hate most about san francisco is how most of the complaining is really bragging. just saying.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I defer to the native. :D

5. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

This pisses me off to no end. Hipsters do this incessantly and it really rubs me the wrong way.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    I was heading to a little French place up top (or down bottom, I don't know) so I got both smug and douchy - smouchy.

Walkable for me is Union, or Polk (forget that) or Fillmore where my wife once ordered double bacon in a restaurant and it threw the kitchen into a tizzy. Seriously, four people had a hushed conversation over the order.

Oh well.

lefty

7. sugarbutch

I'm still trying to figure out why restaurants can't figure out how cook crispy bacon without burning it.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

In fairness, this is a pretty good song:

lefty

9. footage

footage New Member

It was the wholesale produce market, located where Embarcadero Center and Golden Gateway Center are now.

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

If you find a good place for bacon, let me know. I'm sick and tired of trendy, chewy, thick cut apple-wood smoked bacon.

11. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

When I try to get places to slice thin bacon so I can eat it at home they look at me like I am nuts, and then they slice thick pieces of bacon to show me. It takes forever to convince them I just want regular slices of bacon.

12. sugarbutch

True confession time: I buy Oscar Mayer bacon because it is the only reliably thin, tastes-like-bacon bacon at the market. (I apologize in advance, Matt, if this hurts you. I know you have strong opinions about food.)

13. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I believe it. My taste buds were conditioned by east coast diners cooking up Oscar Mayer, and this gourmet shit just doesn't taste right, and it sure doesn't crunch right. High end eggs, on the other hand, totally rock, so my perfect breakfast joint would use pasture raised eggs and cheap-ass bacon. As my wife is a vegetarian I don't cook meat at home, unfortunately.

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Don't you guys have a plain old diner out there? Or a simple burger joint?

15. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Most of the diners in the area are chains exploiting the nostalgia felt by east coasters for the diners of their childhoods, and are terrible (ie Max's, Johnny Rockets). Around the city there are plenty of greasy spoon type dives, most of which have pretty lousy food. For most items I'd rather eat "farm fresh, organic ingredients" anyway, but in the case of bacon it's clear that higher quality doesn't necessarily mean better.