Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

Funny you should mention that. Just added a codicil that states my wife may abandon my body anywhere but the Bay Area.
    I will rest. In peace.

lefty

2. whiteslashasian

whiteslashasian Senior member

Glad to eventually have you back, lefty!

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Thanks. Will be happy to be back. Eventually.

Just a reminder that the Lost Lanscapes of SF is this Thursday. Binge could probably give more details.

Lost Landscapes of San Francisco 6

Thursday, Dec 8 7:30p
    at Castro Theatre, San Francisco, CA

Age Suitability: None Specified

Rick Prelinger, a guerrilla archivist who collects the uncollected and makes it accessible, presents the 6th of his annual Lost Landscapes of San Francisco screenings. You'll see an eclectic montage of rediscovered and rarely-seen film clips showing life, landscapes, labor and leisure in a vanished San Francisco as captured by amateurs, newsreel cameramen and studio filmmakers.
    New material this year (presented for the first time in HD) will include San Francisco's lost cemeteries in color, unique drive-through footage of the Produce Market (now Embarcadero Center and Golden Gateway), rides along the newly constructed Embarcadero Freeway, back streets in working-class North Beach, new film showing the sandswept Sunset before its dunes were covered, wild automobile rides through downtown in the 1920s, newly-rediscovered Kodachrome Cinemascope footage of Playland and the Sky Tram, and much more.
    Doors open at 6:30pm, event starts at 7:30pm
    Thursday December 8, 02011 at The Castro Theater in San Francisco

http://events.sfgate.com/san-francisco-ca/events/show/224899965-lost-landscapes-of-san-francisco-6

lefty

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Sorry, but this is BS. There is no way that a produce market existed in SF back then. There were no locavores, sustainable food advocates, food justice groups etc to invent it.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    You are aware that they encourage you to yell at the screen? Should be fun.

The city must have been something back then.

lefty

7. itsstillmatt

It really started to go to shit in the early 2000s.

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

we've got one of those here (well, of course we do). and y ou don't even WANT to know how a raw pizza is made. i was judging the kcrw pie contest this yiear and someone had entered a "raw, vegan" key lime pie ... looked (and tasted) like week-old guacamole in a bed of rancid crushed nuts. (no homo)

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    Dot com money? Every second person I meet is raising millions for the most idiotic ideas I've ever heard. When I was house shopping I looked at a renovated condo in an old PH home where they put a swimming pool in the dining room. A full on lap pool. I asked the agent who would want a pool in their dining room and she said. "a 25 year old who was just cut a cheque for 10M." A few weeks ago I was at someone's house who paid just south of 30M for the house. Then they renovated.

Nutty.

lefty

10. itsstillmatt

Nah. That doesn't bother me to much, but I grew up in the heart of silicon valley, so I've seen it for a long time. What changed is the anger the average San Franciscan seems to hold, and the degree of nasty smugness. The South Park episode is so close to reality that it is scary. I don't know what caused it, but the dot com crash and the wars really changed the personality of the city from one which was kind of odd and fun to one in which the people tend to display the smugness I mention along with a lack of introspection that is baffling.

11. sugarbutch

I arrived in 1999, so I can't speak to what it was like before then, but this is still paradise compared to St. Louis and Austin. I guess, on balance, if the folks are going to be knee-jerk, I'd rather they be left-leaning idiots than right-leaning idiots.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Just a little.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    My wife commented on pedestrian anger this weekend as we walked to brunch on Union St.

Smugness? I think I mentioned the restaurant where we were asked by the hostess and the waitress if we had dined with them before. When I said no, expecting an explanation of the menu they each simply smiled and walked away.

Isn't Austin one of those "great quality of life" towns in the US? Like SF?

lefty

14. sugarbutch

So they say. To me, it's Houston or Dallas without the culture. It ceased to resemble its self-conception about ten years ago. I miss certain elements, but my last visit there suggested that they aren't really there anymore anyway. Plus, you know, drought.

15. sugarbutch

Also, lefty, get away from Union Street! Of course they're smug over there.