I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Give the east Bay a look. Many parts of it are as close to downtown as anywhere in SF, and the weather is much nicer. There are also some very nice neighborhoods, lots of kid friendly areas, in fact in this regard I think it is head and shoulders above SF, and good schools.

2. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

When I lived lear BV park, there was a thriving gay hustler cruise scene there late at night and the locals called it needle park. Just a FYI. The houses above it are very nice and have a great view and good location. I never felt threatened in the area but I was in a very different situation than you are.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Didn't they find a charred body there this year?

I think it's been cleaned up quite a bit. I would stick to the castro side and avoid getting too near Haight.

There must be a change in my eyes since the leftette has been looking for apts in NY. Every shop I went into today has asked me if I was visiting SF.

lefty

4. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

I am not at all familiar with East Bay. Some quick searches show that there are a number of nice listings in Claremont, Piedmont and Berkeley Hills that would fit our budget. Are there any other parts of East Bay that I should look at?

How long is the commute from for example Claremont to Financial District? I found a site that said it would be roughly 30 min by car and close to 50 min by public transportation.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

The Bay Bridge and the freeways leading up to it are a black hole. You never know when a wreck will double your commute time.

6. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would suggest checking out Montclair and Piedmont if you want an affluent, more traditional, suburban community setting. If you want warmer weather, try Orinda (east of the hills it holds back some of that Bay fog in the summer) and ride BART to work each day. They have a nice country club. I would avoid Moraga -too much traffic.

The Berkeley Hills are very nice but getting to the freeway can add significantly to your commute time. Berkeley is a fascinating place but eclectic and not for every body. You might want to PM RSS for more details as he lives there.

Non of these will be anything like living in San Francisco. Each is very different.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

7. sidkane

sidkane Active Member

8. GusW

By the way, lots of guys from Piedmont and Orinda commute to the Financial District in SF.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

This thread has taken a decidedly helpful turn. Not sure I approve.

It's probably very nice in the East Bay or Marin, but if you're coming to live in a new city, live in the city.

lefty

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

I once was walking around chinatown in SF in 2001 and these frat guys (one white guy and a black guy) started yelling "WHERE ARE ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE?!! WHERE ARE ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE?!!".

eventually there was Asians wielding knives and it was a scene out of a movie.

I'll be driving around Daly city sometimes and I'll remember the frat guy yelling "WHERE ARE ALL THE WHITE PEOPLE?!!" and it starts to make sense to me more than a decade later... :devil:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

I understand that not everyone shares the same priorities, and more power to them. But +1.

12. GusW

Sometimes living in a nice suburb is like having a "friend with benefits". You get to enjoy the city when you want.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

Man up and make an honest woman of her, PSG.

In other insane SF news, the leftette walks out of whole foods, gets into the car and says, "We have to get the hell out of this town."

"What happened? Where's the dill?"

"Couldn't find it so I asked a clerk massaging avocados, I think to make them feel better about themselves. He says, 'right, dill, We had to send it back, there was a problem.' 'Oh, what?' 'It was really moronic.'"

And the Cafe Gratitude has closed. This is the menu:

Soups & Salads

I AM WARM

Hot Miso Soup with vegetables 7.5

I AM THRIVING

Cooked soup of the day 7.5

I AM FULFILLED

Café salad with mixed greens, carrots, beets, tomatoes, avocado, sprouts, Brazil nut Parmesan and teriyaki almonds 10.5
    Dressings: tahini-garlic, Caesar, fig-balsamic, sesame-ginger

I AM DAZZLING

Caesar salad with romaine lettuce, avocado, Caesar dressing, capers and Brazil nut Parmesan 8.5

I AM PURE

Seasonal market salad
    Spinach salad with pears, pecans, cashew mozzarella cheese and a fig balsamic dressing.
    Served with a sprouted flax cracker 12.75
    I AM GIVING

Ginger-tahini kale salad with sea palm, nori, cucumbers, carrots, cilantro, basil, and green onions topped with sprouts and teriyaki almonds 13.75

Raw Specialties
    I AM HAPPY

Live almond hummus with buckwheat and flax crackers 6
    I AM ELATED

Enchilada in a live spinach tortilla with a sprouted seed filling, topped with spicy mole, cashew sour cream and scallions. Served with spicy Mexican coleslaw 13.75
    I AM NOURISHED

Live sandwich with almond pâté, carrot, lettuce, tomato, avocado and spicy mustard sauce on apple curry bread 13.75

I AM TRANSPARENT

Sushi with sprouted almond-sesame seed pâté, carrots, avocado and sprouts wrapped in nori. Served with wasabi and wheat-free tamari 13.75
    I AM HEARTY

Deep-dish pizza with sun-dried tomato marinara, pesto, olive tapenade, Brazil nut Parmesan and ricotta cheese on our live onion sunflower pizza crust 12.75
    I AM TERRIFIC

Pad Thai with kelp noodles, carrots, shredded kale, cucumber, tomatoes, cilantro, basil, mint, and scallions topped with teriyaki almonds and sprouts 13.75

[FONT=Georgia, Times, 'Times New Roman', serif]lefty[/FONT]

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

15. lefty

lefty Senior member