I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Noe Valley is very kid-friendly, and there's a short walk down the hill to the 24th Street BART station. From there to downtown is a five-minute ride on the most reliable stretch of public transit in the whole Bay Area. Because almost every line goes through that section, trains come about every five minutes during commute hours. Also, Noe Valley has easy access to 101 and 280 for car trips to the East Bay and Peninsula.

2. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

Thanks for your help.

My employer uses an agency and they have presented me with a list of current vacancies. I assume that list changes quickly. My next trip to SF will be after new years and if I accept the job offer the relocation agent will take me to a number of houses to see what is available.

Noe Valley seems like a great alternative. But for some reason there were not that many listings in that area. However, there seems to be quite a few listing just north of Noe Valley in The Castro and in the area between Buena Vista Park and Golden Gate Park (just south of the Pannhandle). Don't know the name of the neighborhod. I know that the The Castro is a gay area but that does not bother me at all, I just care if it is safe and kid friendly.

Pacific Height seems lovely as well but maybe a little bit more expensive(?). Two other areas with a lot of listings were Inner Richmond and Marina.

What’s your take on those neighborhoods?

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Whatever cliche you here about a SF neighbourhood will be dead accurate.

Noe Valley = lesbians pushing prams. Parker lives in Noe so he can advise you. I rarely go there.

The Marina is very young and blond and yoga pant clad. It is the area of SF that has the least interesting architecture and is built on sand. Nice view though. Urban Composition lives there.

The area on the other side of BV Park can be nice, but it is too close to the Haight for me. There are some pretty houses up the hill. As there is on the city side of Twin Peaks. This is a foggy area though so be warned. I almost took a three bedroom mid-century house up there with commanding views of the city, but for the weather and the lack of a neighbourhood high street. It was in your budget range.

Come down the hill a little toward the Castro and it gets very nice - Eureka Valley. The advantage here, as I mentioned earlier, is the walking proximity to a few great neighbourhoods. It seems very safe - mostly bears pushing prams and tourists snapping pics - while still being colourful. Also look at the Duboce Triangle and Delores Park.

I would avoid Sunset and Richmond though Nopa can be quite nice and I like Divisidero as a high street.

I suggested PH as you mentioned "safe" and I believe there are a number of international schools there. As much as I hate victorians, it is a pretty neighbourhood and relatively safe.

lefty

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

Sounds like my brother in law!

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. lefty

lefty Senior member

You're welcome. Keep asking and the other guys will be able to give you more detailed recommendations.

On another note ...

Spent Thanksgiving in NYC. Went to the Minetta Tavern for a pre-dinner drink and my wife said to the bartender, "No alcohol, sour, with a bit of a kic--" He stopped her and said, "I'll take care of it."

Mixed her a drink and slid it across the bar. She sipped, smiled, and said quietly to me, "Goddamn, I miss New York."

The next day she sent me apt listings.

My planes are in the air.

lefty

6. sugarbutch

The Castro is becoming more and more straight. The latest controversies have been about straight families' having their children exposed to the explicit window displays of shops along Castro and 18th Streets. Good times. Noe has the lesbian reputation, but I think my neighborhood, Bernal Heights, actually fits that description. Noe is mostly upper middle class white families from what I can tell. Parker is actually a bit south in Glen Park. Its high street is only so-so in my opinion, but it has its own BART stop and is right off 280. I should have mentioned it in my initial reply. You also have ready access via O'Shaughnessy to the Inner Sunset, Inner Richmond, and Golden Gate Park.

Ultimately, if you drive, I think you need to be in the Mission, Noe, Bernal, Dolores, or Glen Park. I hate driving cross-town in this city. It's a stone-cold bitch.

7. lefty

lefty Senior member

I took my aging mother for a walk in the Castro. The first shop we came to had an array of rubber fists in the window in ascending size from the "Tiny Tim" to the "Mr. Ed." The "Mr. Ed" ended in a hoof.

lefty

8. sugarbutch

Lefty, you should know better than to make a post on a forum referring to your aging mother and fisting dildos. It's like leaving your front door open.

9. lefty

lefty Senior member

My mother's cool. She shook her head and said, "At least in my day the dildos came with a man attached."

lefty

10. sugarbutch

:slayer:

11. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

Might be a odd question. Are there any kids ice hockey teams located in the city?

My oldest is quite talented and loves the sport and it could be a good way of meeting people. I also help out coaching his team and used to help out with one of the better junior teams in Stockholm.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

13. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior member

Already did that. Could however only find one team in the city. That is why I asked.

You've been more than helpful. Will not pester the thread with any more dull questions.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

Wasn't trying to be an ass, just trying get you maximum results.

I'll reserve this spot for when you move here and try to get a taxi in the financial district at 6:00 pm.

lefty

15. sugarbutch

It's like finding a unicorn. The city needs to get rid of its current medallion system. Anyone who can pass a written and driving test of sufficient rigor, background check, and can provide a car which passes a quarterly inspection should be able to operate a cab.