I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Tano

Tano Senior member

Can anyone comment which of these places are a must visit for a first time visitor to San Fran (with a family from Australia)?. I am looking for new and exciting food experiences rather than fine dining (and queuing up)

Taquería La Cumbre
    Ike's Place
    San Francisco Creamery
    Burma Superstar
    flour+water
    Tartine Bakery
    Delfina
    Saigon Sandwiches
    Tommy's Mexican Restaurant
    Hong Kong Lounge
    Emporio Armani Cafe
    The Slanted Door

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

If you don't want to queue, flour+water is likely out! Slanted Door has tasty food and an incredible view of the Bay Bridge/Treasure Island. If you can arrange to be there for sunset, it's worth it.

I would recommend La Taqueria and Papalote for burritos (conveniently located within a couple of blocks of each other).

Delfina is very well regarded.

Tartine on the weekends is a mob scene.

I'd go with Bi-Rite Creamery or Humphrey Slocombe for ice cream.

I've never heard of several of the other places on your list, but that doesn't mean they're not good.

3. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

My wife says to check out the Discovery museum in Marin (for young kids), the Marin headlands, the exploratorium, the Legion of Honor, and Chrissy field for a nice walk and a picnic.

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

Quote:
    I'm the last guy to ask as SF has pretty much destroyed my ability to enjoy a restaurant, but in most of those places you will be queing up for an hour. I tried to get a simple hamburger in my neigbourhood last week and had to go to three places before I found one without a 20 person line-up.

lefty

5. sugarbutch

+1. Listen to NorCal's wife.

6. Scott Disick

Scott Disick Member

As far as i'm concerned, any city without a Tom Ford doesn't exist.

Where is San Francisco again?

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

7. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

been meaning to bike around marin... you (or your wife) think its a good idea to ride solo?

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

This is Style Forum. Some of us have progressed to levels well beyond anything offered by Mr. Ford. He's a tad too mass market.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

9. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

As far as I'm concerned, any city without Calvin Klein doesn't exist.

Where is . . . what again?

10. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

For some of these I have alternatives that are not going to be all the hype but are equal to or better than what you have listed:

Ike's Place is overrated. I don't know how serious you are in "sandwichology", but yeah, I'm not up to waiting thirty minutes in line for a sandwich so I go to Super Duper Burger instead.

Tartine Bakery - skip this and go to Bar Tartine for brunch or dinner.

Go to El Faralito for your cheap Mexican food - you will NOT be disappointed. Regalito is a Mexican place that has criminally flown for too long under the radar - they offer simple, classic Mexican dishes that are very delicious.

Go to Bar Bambino or La Ciccia for Italian food and skip the clusterfuck that are the other Italian places.

I can't help you on the Asian stuff.

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

Hell, Calvin doesn't even give a damn about Calvin Klein. He certainly doesn't wear it.

12. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Marin's no problem but I'm thinking the 3 thousand miles of ocean might be a bit of a problem.

Tano: I'd check out Fort Mason on Friday after 6. The food trucks converge there and you can try a bunch of food and enjoy a generally fun time:
    http://sf.funcheap.com/grid-friday-night-food-truck-party-fort-mason-4/

In general I'd keep in mind that SF is not really a huge, world class city. It's main selling points are the location, a good deal of natural beauty, some very nice neighborhoods, and a lively food scene. There are certainly museums and the like but even the ones recommended will not change your life. Going to the exploratorium is more about a shared experience for people that grew up in the Bay Area than it is about a truly amazing science experience.

SF is really more of a lifestyle city, if that makes sense, so just enjoy it at your leasure. Find some nice food and pick a spot, maybe Crissy fields, and just kick back. There is a water organ that plays at low tide, there is the House of Air next to the fields for the kids if they get board, there will likely be some event or half assed art thing going on, and there is the bridge and Bay to look at always.

I have no idea if you smoke pot but if you do, California is home to the best in the world.

Coit tower is a silly ass thing to do but it also totally fun. You will get a great view of the city and it is in a cool old neighborhood. There are also nice murals on the inside and it is a good piece of SF history.

Anyway, enjoy and make sure you get out of the City, both east and North West.

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

What the hell was that?

lefty

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

This is like a list of the longest queues in San Francisco. Delfina is good, not as good as it once was. Burma Superstar and Flour + Water are overrated. Tommy's is terrible. Emporio Armani Cafe I will not lower myself to respond to. Burma Superstar is not bad. Tartine Bakery is just a line, as far as I can tell. Is there anything at the end of the line?

To second what some other locals have said. La Taqueria is great, so is La Ciccia. Slanted Door is the best on your list, probably. I don't like Bi-Rite Creamery. It strikes me as another queue with no end in sight. For ice cream, try the one in the park at Hayes Valley. It's surprisingly good.

15. sugarbutch

A couple I forgot to mention:

Dynamo Donuts on 24th Street in the Mission
    Ichi Sushi on Mission Street at the base of Bernal hill

I'll have to try La Ciccia. My son's soccer team practices right by there. As for the queue at Bi-Rite, I've actually been by there at a decent hour without a queue, but if it's even approaching 70 degrees, Matt is right.