I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

From your list, I would omit:

H&M (cheap chain merchandise)
    Gilroy Outlet Centre (not worth the hour+ drive each way)
    Metreon (it's being renovated, it's basically a glorified movie theater now, and it's kinda thuggish these days)
    Rainforest Cafe on Fisherman's Wharf (there's nothing particularly San Francisco about this place)

Strongly recommend:

Alcatraz
    Golden Gate & Fort Point
    Lombard street (As long as you don't go on a weekend afternoon, the wait isn't that bad. Try coming up Hyde Street and turning right instead of going directly up Lombard)
    Academy of Sciences
    Twin Peaks Lookout (On a clear day, there is probably no better vantage point in the city)
    Mission (Walk Valencia from Division to 24th Street and check out the galleries and shops. Then eat at Papalote at 24th and Valencia)
    Exploratorium at The Palace of Fine Arts (I love it, and my kids love it, too)

Meh:

Fisherman's wharf &Pier 39
    De Young Museum
    Lombard street - really worth it???
    Chinatown
    Alamo Square Park

While you're in town, try to have brunch at Nopa in the Western Addition. Best French toast I've ever had. Hands down. The burger is also ridiculously good.

2. Tano

Tano Senior member

thanks for all the replies.

Do you have any tips for avoiding conflict with the homeless ? Is it best to avoid eye contact, or give them a dollar if they aggressive or follow us? Or would that attract more attention? It's a stupid question but I'm rarely in these situations.

3. Millerp

Millerp Senior member

I think you may be exaggerating the aggressiveness of the homeless. You may encounter
    a panhandler or two. Just walk by and avoid eye contact. San Francisco is a great tourist city.
    Your agenda sounds just fine. Have a great time.

4. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

there has to be a way for san francisco to be able to market its urban decay (homeless and hipsters) to the effect that NYC does. tourists are practically giddy to see some williamsburg hipsters and homeless guy ranting about to jews on the L train in NYC, but are appalled at the sights, smells, and sounds that greet you halfway up the escalator from the muni/bart station at Powell.

i blame Full House for fooling the whole world into thinking that everyone in san francisco lives here:

[​IMG]

and that all san francisco families are all caucasian and happy:
    [​IMG]

welcome to the tenderloin bitch!!!

[​IMG]

5. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

It is highly unlikely that you'll run into "conflict." San Francisco's homeless problem is about the same as any other major metropolitan city. You don't have to avoid eye contact. But avoiding eye contact will generally get the desired effect. Personally, quick eye contact and a simple head shake still keep things on a human level. Giving a harrassing panhandler a dollar is sort of "give a mouse a cookie" in my mind. If the situation arises, just say no and keep walking.

6. comrade

comrade Senior member

Agree.

7. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Just shake your head no. If they follow you or keep asking ignore them.

8. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Seriously, Fuck San Francisco. I got stabbed in the chest by a homeless person in this shitty city. Fuck everybody in this dumb town.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

If they are particularly agressive. I say, "Look, I'm sorry, but I lost my job a couple of months ago and money is getting really really tight." I also use this when telephone sales calls get through to me.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2011

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

Sorry this happened to you. Anonymous attacks do happen in the Bay Area, but they are relatively rare.

A short while back I was tackled from behind by a homeless person in Berkeley. Turns out she'd heard me speak at a Planning Commission hearing where I'd stood in favor of a redevelopment project being undertaken by Hudson McDonald. That didn't sit well with her and she took it out on me.

I've grown tired of certain aspects (mostly traffic and crowding) of the Bay Area in recent years ... enough to move my primary residence to a much less developed part of the country. That said, I still maintain a house and spend a fair amount of time there. Few urban areas on earth are more beautiful than the Bay Area. Moreover, few places in the U.S. offer as much culture. I can think of no other metropolitan area in the United States in which I'd consider living.

Ultimately it seems to me that a great many people who don't like San Francisco have made their decision based on the city's politics ... politics which don't sit well with their more conservative view.

11. sugarbutch

What the...? Sorry to hear that, Birdman. Did your attacker get prosecuted? RSS, what the hell did you say? I've spoken at some commission meetings where some clearly unbalanced folks were in attendance, but I never considered the possibility that I could get tackled over it.

I can understand why these experiences would sour you on SF, but they seem like things that could happen in any large city.

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

As this project is yet to break ground, I hesitate to say much in a public forum. Lets just say I spoke in favor, she disapproved.

Indeed they are things that might happen anywhere. The only thing that has soured me on the Bay Area is the ever increasting traffic congestion and crowding. I still maintain a place of residence here ... but now make my primary residence in a more remote location ... for a bit of peace and quiet. But that has little to do with what happened ... and there are times that only the Bay Area will give me my 'fix.'

13. sugarbutch

Interesting. To me it feels like a ghost town compared to twelve years ago when I moved here. It's certainly not perfect, but things would have to get a lot worse before I'd consider leaving. I wish I'd been born here.

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Are you talking about Berkeley ... or the Bay Area in general. I'm thinking of the area as whole.

But, 30 years was long enough to make Berkeley my primary residence. In my retirement ... I wanted some acreage ... and no neighbors in sight. I still get down this way once or twice a month ... for a couple of days at a time.

15. sugarbutch

I was referring specifically to San Francisco, but it could apply to Berkeley as well. We're in different stages of life. I imagine I might want to get away from my neighbors, too, after 30 years!