I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. NorCal

NorCal Senior member

Pfff.. . . that place is where people go when they don't want to wait for Burma Superstar. Actually, I kinda agree though. The Rainbow salad is really good and a few of the curries are good. . Overall it's Mos def good but I'm unsure why it;s such an institution.

2. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

I don't even know where Burma is, but I'd eat the shit out of this.

[​IMG]

3. Abraxis

Abraxis Senior member

I 100 percent agree. I've tried the tea leaf salad and the rainbow salad but neither were that amazing. The curries and noodle dishes I had were quite good but not worth lining up for. Give me a good taqueria any dayyyyy

4. lefty

lefty Senior member

I will give SF this ... the river of fog flowing through the Golden Gate bridge and into the bay right now is a goddam thing of beauty.

lefty

5. jk2317

jk2317 Well-Known Member

While I agree with your sentiment (sorry to dig up a year old post), I need to make a factual correction. I was a de facto leader of the "[email protected] you, leave my SmartWater alone!" movement at Google, and I failed. Not only was SmartWater removed, but all bottled water was removed. Did they remove the dozens of sodas, teas, juices, and other soft drinks that use glass, plastic, and paper containers? No. Is there a rational economic argument for this behavior? No. Is there a rational "save the planet" argument? No. But they targeted the water anyway.

If this hadn't been the case, I'd very likely still work for Google. Instead, I said F this and moved to NYC. My new company doesn't serve ANY free drinks, and I'm much happier. Also, I dress more nicely.

SF, and the entire bay area, sucks.

6. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

About half an hour ago, as I sat on my deck looking out over the sun-drenched Mission, enjoying a glass of wine with my wife, a hummingbird whirred past my ear with a sound like the largest wasp on earth.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011

7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Twelve years in, I still love San Francisco. If we could just have neighborhood schools, it would be just about perfect.

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

I tried.

lefty

9. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

10. RSS

RSS Senior member

There is an old 'tale' in New Orleans that goes as follows: Once upon a time there was a boy who didn't like jazz, mardi gras, or creole cooking; he moved to Houston.

I'm sure we could come up with a similar tale of San Francisco. Perhaps you need to move to Los Angeles.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

11. RSS

RSS Senior member

I recall a drive down Lombard (yes, that block) with my niece and nephew. A flock of parrots flew threw our convertible.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

13. Tano

Tano Senior member

Hi All. Ive been reading this thread and I will be visiting San Francisco ~ Nov 10-14th from Australia. We will be driving a rental SUV with my parents, wife and 3 year old daugther and staying in Ghirardelli Square.

I want to get your opinions on the worthwhile attactions and how to experience the good parts of the local san francisco scene. (we are not really into the pub or art scene, but we enjoy food, outlet shopping and attactions)

1)Are there any other attractions/shopping i should put on my list or remove?
    2) Is there any particular attactions we should'nt drive (no parking spots), or definetly should drive (dont want to be hassled to much by the homeless when walking).
    3)Is a 20% tipping rate the standard for most restaurants?
    4)Is a shirt, jumper and jeans enough to be confortable in November?
    Thanks!

Attractions:
    Alcatraz
    Fisherman's wharf &Pier 39
    Golden Gate & Fort Point
    De Young Museum
    Lombard street - really worth it???
    Ciot Tower- Murials
    GG park - Academy of Sciences
    Twin Peaks Lookout
    Chinatown
    Mission
    Alamo Square Park

Shopping:
    Alden
    H&M
    Jeremy's Dept Store
    Unionmade shopping
    Wilkes & Bashford
    Self Edge
    Union Square
    Gilroy Outlet Centre

KIds Stuff:
    Firetruck Tour
    Walt Disney Family Museum
    teddy bear factory on saturday http://www.basicbrownbear.com/
    metron center
    Rainforest Cafe on Fishermans Wharf
    Exploratorium at The Palace of Fine Arts
    Musée Mécanique

Last edited: Oct 1, 2011

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

There will be others that wil give you better advice, but...

1) list is good. Add FSC as you walk from Union Made to Self Edge. Shops along Hayes and Fillmore. Look at Lombard but don't drive it.
    2) parking is always a bit of a pain in the ass and it is such a small city that you really don't need a car. I would cablecar, walk and taxi.
    3) yes, though my tip goes down the longer I wait. Be prepared to wait.
    4) yes. It will probably be quite warm but the nights are cool. Bring a light coat as well.

lefty

15. WorkingOnIt

WorkingOnIt Senior member

1)
    Lombard is dependent on the individual. Some will find it worthwhile just as a sightseeing thing whereas others may not. Personally, I like the drive and looking at it from the bottom. The wait time to drive it can be high though.
    Coit tower - Park along the road where you can and walk up the staircase. Parking in the lot at the top can be problematic.

SF MOMA
    Ferry building farmer's market - Thursdays and Saturdays - it could be a fun pitstop for some food.
    Santana Row - If you are going south to Gilroy, you may want to stop by Santana Row in San Jose. H&M, Ferragamo, BB, Tumi, etc are there, and there is usually an interesting collection of cars parked on the street.

3) 15-20%
    4) Should be enough. You may want to bring a windbreaker just in case.