• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I think I hate San Francisco.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This sooooo (said in San Francisco 'accent' :rolleyes:) belongs here:

"every single party in San Francisco:

)
What do we call the croaky, too much cigarettes and whiskey effect she throws in there. I hear it all the time, and goddamn that must take a lot of vocal training..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think you're talking about vocal fry.
I'm impressed at the level of commitment it must take to train one's voice to produce that effect. Try it, you'll see what I mean. I believe this is a mandatory skill for anyone seeking employment with NPR..

erictheobscure

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait--living in the Bay Area is actually like a parody of life in the Bay Area?

(pardon my incredulity. I grew up in the LA area and have never felt that life there resembles the various caricaturish versions)

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing:

sood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wait--living in the Bay Area is actually like a parody of life in the Bay Area?

(pardon my incredulity. I grew up in the LA area and have never felt that life there resembles the various caricaturish versions)
I don't think so; it is possible that there are some topics which are favored over others, and occasionally you may meet someone who has internalized this mythology and that can be funny or boring based on your point of view. Not any different than any other group of people where you can distill what they think, they say, and their behavior into a caricature.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
That’s one version. There’s another version where all she talks about is what school they want their kid to go to, how gross SF streets are, and the latest must-binge show on Netflix.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed at the level of commitment it must take to train one's voice to produce that effect. Try it, you'll see what I mean. I believe this is a mandatory skill for anyone seeking employment with NPR..
I've been complaining about this for years. Even many of the men have up speak. My voice was deeper than Domenico Montanaro's when I was 13 years old. How any of these people could get a job in radio is beyond me. I'd listen to NPR as a kid all the time because my dad would play it in the car. It was never like this before. Much like San Francisco, everything has gotten worse as time goes on.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.