1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

Does Mercer have an office in SF?

“Mercer Consulting's list of best places to live revealed that for the 10th year in a row, Vienna took the No. 1 spot, followed by Zurich, with Auckland, Munich and Vancouver tying for 3rd place. San Francisco came in at #34 and Boston at #36 and New York #44. Considerations include recreation, housing, economy, public services and transport, political and social environment, education, medical and health considerations, and the natural environment.”

2. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

3. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

Any you wonder why Uber (and other unicorns) are not even close to profitable.

Selling a $1 for .65 cents is a sure fire winner!

4. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

Gotta get that market share, bro!

5. troika

troika Distinguished Member

What do you do in your free time after your too-high paying job? I fine tune ads for other companies so that I can take cabs and eat.

6. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

Admissions week for kindergarten. Got our SFUSD letter and despite thinking we had a pretty good shot for our neighborhood school we were not so lucky. Didn’t get any of our top 15 and ended up with a deeply underperforming school.

On the bright side, it looks like we are going to be very happy with our private school admissions so that makes for a relatively easy choice. We won’t know for sure until Friday but I’m not too worried at this point.

7. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Fingers crossed. High school admissions D-Day here too. At least the public fallback is good.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019 at 7:25 PM

8. troika

St Ignatius was a sister school for my HS, and it seemed pretty cool. Went to many swimming/water polo meets there. Hope that's on the list!

9. Girardian

Girardian Distinguished Member

Because I don't live in SF proper, I have fewer reasons to dislike it. However, I will say that I've visited less often as it's become more crowded, significantly more annoying in certain respects. Going to dinner and a show is a real production and time investment, no matter how you slice it. I am also perpetually mystified as to how a city with so much visible wealth and a strong tax base can accept such poor infrastructure / roadway maintenance, be so dirty, and not more effectively manage the pressing social issues at hand (primarily homelessness/population with mental health issues). I accept that these are complicated issues (and am not here to spark a coversation about them) but I, for one, am happy to have easy access to the city, but equally happy not to have to live there.

10. troika

BC those are complex issues that take more than just "money" to solve. The city is already under constant infrastructure construction that's holding up traffic. Also the wealth is there because of tax incentives that keep these companies there, and a wealthy tax base that ultimately doesn't really care about these issues.

11. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

12. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I hate taxis.

Our kids will probably go to SI, as long as we're still in SF then. A few years ago, I asked an admissions officer where the best students come from, and he said St. Anne's, St. Brendan's, and St. Cecelia's. So our kids go to one of those and we love it.
    When I first moved to SF about 10 yrs ago, I asked a friend that question, regarding the road quality, and he (also Catholic) blamed Catholics for spending more on social welfare programs than infrastructure. Another friend, who worked for the city's HR, said she thought it was the high pay of city employees.