1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. troika

troika Distinguished Member

2. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Driving through San Rafael was fun today at rush hour with the Richmond - SR bridge closed both ways. If that needs to be shut for extended repairs, it's going to be ugly. There are a lot of teachers, cops and firefighters living North of Novato and working in the East Bay.

3. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Healdsburg used to be a pretty quiet, nice agricultural town and in the last ten years or so, been hit big time by the money stick. Seems to be going the.unfortunate direction of what's happened to St. Helena.

4. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

Healdsburg is about as slow growth as it gets. Similar to SF; no middle and no/limited growth. In the early 2000’s they instituted a policy known as GMO; it restricted the city from issuing more than 30 residential building permits a year.

They have loosened over the last decade but they like it sleepy and 1%.

5. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

I'm not saying it's grown a great deal and I think their growth restrictions were a good idea to save it from becoming an extension of Santa Rosa in density and lack of character.

My point is also that it used to be low key, sleepy, and primarily a blue collar town. Now people show up to go to lunch like they are fresh off the boat from Newport Beach or the Hamptons. And the nature of the retail and hospitality has shifted to accommodate and draw that crowd.

6. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

OK, I'll try not to take it personally.

7. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Stylish Dinosaur

0B9047DA-853C-4E14-BBEB-4B24BE883619.jpeg

8. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Please don't. No allusions to you or your luncheon intended!

9. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

To be fair, I am exactly that guy -- the annoying arriviste wandering around bumping into things going "oh that's kind of cool!' while the older Bay Area heads mutter "well, it used to be" among themselves.

Anyway, what's up with the traffic carnage every time it rains?

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

In SF proper, I think it's because it doesn't rain for 10 months of the year. People are super cautious due to inexperience, plus the drains around town have filled up with detritus during the dry months, so streets flood all around the city. The traffic situation is precarious/a shit show in the dry, so rain tips it over into meltdown.

11. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I had dinner two weeks ago with two long-time residents of SF. When the topic of change came up one said, "Remember when San Francisco mattered?"

12. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

They mean, like, culturally? Or the city specifically versus, say, Silicon Valley in the context of the broader Bay Area economy.

13. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Once a deluge meets the street feces I'm sure it becomes a literal "shit show."

14. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Scored some Alchemist at City Beer Store yesterday. It's OK but I'd rather drink Blind Pig. Beer week festivities were fun.

IMG_2921.jpg

15. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Also had a '13 and '15 Beat. Opinions were divided on which was nearest peak.

FC5EBA70-CE82-477A-B9EB-5574E35B375B.thumb.jpeg.c497b8d2c08bc1f78f8ebbf1fe6463c3.jpeg