1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I’m sure the whole state will subsidize the damage costs. Along with shareholders.

2. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Oh yeah, the CPUC will definitely see to it that the CA ratepayers and general taxpayers bail out PG&E.

3. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Heading into SF tonight on BART. The late "party" return trip is always amusing on a weekend. After 11pm it pretty much falls into three groups:
    1) Couples that are making out and need a room fast
    2) Groups that didn't hook up and they trash talk loudly about the people who rejected them at the bars/clubs/parties
    3) The rest of us

4. Gus

Speaking of BART, there is a guy who has a website the BARTidiothalloffame.com and he posted this photo:

2.jpg

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

So, is she in group 2 or group 3?

6. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Downside protection?

She's picked up two, so either someone else is involved or they'll have to be positioned quite carefully.

7. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

OK, I actually need some advice. Just got hit up by my Mom's cousins visiting from Canada. Where to take three merry but not super mobile (70s & 80s, ages not decades) widows for a memorable lunch in the city?

8. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Palace Hotel Garden Court.

9. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Or the Cliff House.

10. Big Bird

Big Bird Senior Member

+1

Scoma's would be a good alternative for a more rustic environment. My dad’s (80 yo) favorite and a must when he visits.

11. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

Neiman Marcus Rotunda is a big hit with that demographic. “Ladies who lunch” also like the Fairmont.

12. troika

troika Distinguished Member

Back here for a few days...man I guess I'm happy they are building condos everywhere, but who the hell decided they all have to look like futuristic prisons with wooden paneling? They're all basically identical, and terribly ugly. Seems like good design got left out of the triple constraint of speed, cost, and aesthetics.

13. Gus

Actually, San Francisco has been far behind the curve when it comes to architecture for decades. It's odd to think that would be the case when the city was such a center of creativity for music, art, design, film, etc. for so long. But, how many significant, architecturally speaking, buildings have been built in SF since the the mid 1900's. Moma is about as close to one that I can think of. Everything else is pretty utilitarian with, at best, a little window dressing.

14. troika

troika Distinguished Member

I dunno man, SF is leading the way in alley-front tent property, and cardboard structures with ikea bag insulation. Haven't seen anything quite like it.

15. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

https://www.aiasf.org/page/25Buildings

And now there's Salesforce Tower and the Transbay Terminal.