1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

Sounds familiar. Same neighborhood although my boys are only 8. They received a PS4 as a gift two years ago and then FortNight hit. They were consumed. Blessing in disguise: after seeing that nothing else mattered we cut all internet activity to half hour M-F and two hours on weekend.

Without internet/devices to use, it’s amazing to see what they do for stimulus. They build shit, they go outside, they read, they interact. Amazing transformation.

2. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

We're actually Scottish going back two generations and I'm considering taking their approach.

IMG_2582.JPG

3. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

I hear ya. Despite the gentrification, if one wears a nice sport coat or other CBD in Fairfax nowadays, people look at you like you're from a different planet.

4. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

Yikes. I subscribe so was able to read the full WSJ article. My son is coming up on only three years old...daunting to even try to think about what the consuming pastimes will be ten years from now.

5. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Our son turned three a couple months ago. We'll probably see each other on the soccer circuit soon.
    I'm guessing virtual reality will have totally ruined our kids in 10 yrs. I'm worried what it will do to me too... As a kid/teen, I watched very little TV, etc. I'd tell myself and my friends that I would rather play sports than watch them, have an adventure than watch a movie, etc. But now I spend too much time on surfing the internet or on Netflix.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Our soon-to-be-14-y.o. played a bit of Fortnite, but hasn't succumbed to it. The 12 y.o., though, is like a crack addict. I have the PS4 set up to limit his playing hours and he also has a spending limit. Last night was a complete fucking meltdown because he'd already hit his spending limit and couldn't buy some bullshit skin that's only available this month. The artificial scarcity totally works on him.

I've also prohibited him from using the in-game chat function because there's no way (that I've found at least) to control who he talks to. He's gotten around this by using the landline to call his friends. I'm fine with that because we can hear what he and they are saying when he's playing.

I was dead-set against getting the PS4 and told them no for a year. My wife, however, is a softer touch, and I was eventually worn down. I should have held fast...

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

I glanced through the article. I found it strange as you'd think this was the first video game kids were obsessed with.

Anyway, how do these kids have access to money (credit cards no less) to spend on the game?

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

He gets gift cards.

9. Aquafortis

Aquafortis Senior Member

I hear you. I watched what I would consider was a lot of TV in my youth, and haven't had cable in over six years now. But Netflix, Youtube, and HBO can suck you in for sure...TV has become almost superfluous. My high school friends and I also got pretty into video games at that time (early 80's), but also spent a lot of time exploring out in nature, playing tackle football, backgammon 'til the wee hours, and doing other recreational activities that would have made out parents anxious - had they known what we were doing.

Video games aside, there's also the pervasive, tablet-centered curricula that seem so mainstream in schools. That combined with the ubiquitous social-media-based "relationships" and "friendship" building, makes me really wonder where these phenomena will lead the younger generations in terms of the critical skill of relating to other humans.

Shelly Turkle at MIT does a lot of great research around this:

10. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Have to check myself on this, too. There has always been hysteria around media consumption by the younger generation. Comic books, radio, movies etc. Heck I grew up in a repressive society that didn't even allow TV broadcasts until the late 70s because it would "corrupt the public morals."

But there is an insidious feedback loop in the new games that wasn't possible in the past because the technology didn't exist. That is they are being monitored and tweaked in pretty-much real time to get and keep their "engagement" hooks in their player base. My golf buddy's wife was the CFO of King (Candy Crush) before she managed to sell the company to Activision and we used to hang out at the London office because it had free beer and Xboxes and playground slides between the floors and all the other typical tech bullshit. But they also had dozens and dozens of math and stats PhDs crunching through the mountain of data generated by hundreds of millions of players having billions of interactions a day with the game. And all that effort was going into trying to get those users to open the app more often, engage with it longer on average and (obviously) spend more money in aggregate. (It's not a perfect analogy because Candy Crush, funnily enough, made its money mostly from older women.)

So when kids, specifically teens, specifically boys -- who have basically zero impulse control at this stage of their development anyway -- are up against a similarly concerted, commercial effort to hack their brains' reward mechanisms, I don't think we should be too surprised that it's proving pretty effective!

11. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

12. Bhowie

Bhowie Stylish Dinosaur

13. troika

troika Distinguished Member

@masshi is looking for a cobbler in SF, can anyone rec? I only know peeps in the south bay

14. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018

15. Omega Male

Omega Male Senior Member

Feel like PG&E going bankrupt might have some consequences other than fewer fires?