1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

You'll just have to come and visit. We plan to have a casita for visiting friends.

But, don't buy tickets just yet. I think it is at least a year before putting the house on the market and making a move. And, we could also decide in the meantime that it isn't for us and look elsewhere in the US. If this trip goes well, then our next step would be to rent for a month this coming Fall.

I've started to mention this to a few friends and connections in San Francisco and the very first thing they say is,"Everybody is moving away".

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I've never been to San Fransisco. At this rate I probably never will.

3. dopey

dopey Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

I was there this Summer. The Museum of Modern Art is really, really good. Better than I had expected and I had high expectations. The homelessness and human shit on the street was a surprise.

4. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Yes sir.
    Well, at this point, it's mostly my personal hope. My wife is still on the fence. But we looked at places in both towns and others around Thanksgiving.

5. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Distinguished Member

There's some irony behind people from NYC complaining about SF being dirty. I can't recall the last time I saw human shit on a sidewalk in SF, although I have seen some dog owners who don't clean up. Do you guys spend all of your time in the tenderloin?

I love NYC but let's be honest, it's not exactly Singapore. Every time I'm in NYC I'm amazed at how many bags of garbage are piled up on each block at all times. To me that would be a much bigger hit to my quality of life and appears unavoidable as I've seen it all over Manhattan (but admittedly never to the other boroughs, save some shallow forays into Brooklyn).

As for people leaving the city, I hope it results in housing becoming more affordable so I can upgrade.

6. lefty

lefty Distinguished Member

Taxes will be a shock but offset by reasonably affordable homes and little to no faeces on the sidewalks.

lefty

7. Joffrey

Joffrey Stylish Dinosaur

I don't live in either city but have visited both a lot (stayed in San Fran for 3 weeks last summer). NYC (manhattan specifically) is dirty because it's crazy old and has a ton of people (aka tons of trash accumulating too quickly to deal with) Not sure San Francisco's excuse for having human shit (it's definitely not dog) and wild homeless people (only place I've experienced that it's safer to completely ignore the homeless) everywhere.

8. Gus

There has been a decades long trend in San Francisco, Berkeley and much of Oakland where homeless people can do pretty much whatever they want. As an example, last week I was in downtown Berkeley. Right across the street from the high school on the lawn of the old city hall is a large homeless camp. Apparently it has been there for months and is growing. Yet, do you know how almost impossible it is to get approval to remodel a home or open a business without answering to a long line of bureaucrats? My heart goes out to the poor and mentally ill who are homeless but our actions have consequences in society and you shouldn't be allowed to do whatever you want. For some reason, San Francisco, Berkeley and Oakland have given up on requiring a respectable level of civic responsibility in public places when it comes to the homeless.

I recognize that the homeless problem is a complex issue, but you can set certain minimum behavioral standards and not abide militant street behavior. Especially in the most public of places of the downtown areas.

9. Bounder

Bounder Distinguished Member

From what I have seen on the occasional visit, the Tenderloin is particularly bad but that's certainly not the only place you have to watch were you walk. And compared to a nice squishy pile of hepatitis-infected human excrement, rats are cuddly and cute. Plus, you can apparently hunt them with terriers, so they've got that going for them.

10. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

We never gave up; its always been acceptable in SF.

11. Gus

Not true. Even in the free wheeling 60's, 70's and 80's) you couldn't just plant yourself anywhere all day and all night. The cops would tell you to "move along". Oh, and you did move.

12. sfo423

sfo423 Senior Member

Sorry, I can only roll my personal experience back to '91.

13. Gus

LOL, I'm sure I'm a bit older than you.

Interesting that you pick that date because I seem to recall the early 90's was when the more public place shift occurred in SF. Although in Berkeley it has been the case since the early 70's. crazy, huh?

14. Gus

Yes, they did an excellent job on the remodeled SFMOMA. I like that the rooms are very large with high ceilings, perfect for viewing the larger pieces. Interesting how the owners of the GAP bought much of their contemporary and pop art when the market was soft. They accumulated an impressive and enjoyable collection.