• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, no one walks here...

People do walk, but very carefully.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/human-wasteland-map-plots-all-of-san-franciscos-poop

It's true that Portland and Seattle have their own problems. But the difference is they consider their problems as problems that have to be fixed, not "alternative lifestyles" to be celebrated. Living there, you might not even notice it anymore. But take it from me, San Francisco tolerates, even encourages, a degree of literal insanity and anti-social behavior that would provoke a National Guard deployment in most cities.

Actually, as far as I am concerned, the hands-down nicest city on the west coast is Vancouver, BC. It's got a stunning setting, a nice downtown core, decent transportation, a mostly easy-going, non-insane population and virtually no *********** streets, dog or otherwise. I have never had a random person come up to me in the street and begin shouting at me there. That's a daily occurrence whenever I'm in San Francisco. True, the last time it was because I was carrying a styrofoam cooler, but still.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've lived in SF for nearly 20 years, and I can count on one hand the number of confrontational mentally ill folks I've encountered. YMMV

jcmeyer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lived in SF for nearly 20 years, and I can count on one hand the number of confrontational mentally ill folks I've encountered. YMMV

Same. Maybe it's neighborhood dependent.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reactions: Gus

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Portland has the worst heroin problem in the country and is somewhat awash in right wing racists at the moment. Seattle is ok, if you like traffic and douchebros. San Francisco shows humanity at its best and worst, just like every city.

Its kind of weird that liberal Porkland is now awash with Right Wing Racists

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you only walk around Civic Center and Mid-Market, I'm sure you run up your numbers pretty quickly.

I'm sure it is neighborhood dependent. If nothing else, you've probably achieved some sort of detente with your local crazies. And I admit, I'm seldom strolling around Monterey Heights. Inevitably, I'm downtown in some hotel.

And it's awful. I have been in cities that were recent war zones that were more pleasant. Probably more dangerous, but more pleasant.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

On average, Portland is a very moderate, middle-of-the-road place.

Of course, on average, humans have one testicle.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I haven't looked down at the ground while walking so much since my short stint in France. Plus why are trash cans so dingy looking and few and far between?

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anybody been to that Hitachino and Wagyu place?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score

I moved to Portland in 1987, a few months before racist skinheads beat an Ethiopian immigrant named Mulugeta Seraw to death on a Portland sidewalk near my home.

The Oregon state constitution enshrined a "whites only" policy for the first several decades of the state's existence. Portland was incredibly white and segregated when I lived there 25+ years ago, even for a kid from suburban Connecticut, and it has actually grown more so in the years since.

In my opinion it's always been a racist shithole.

Reaction score
Anybody been to that Hitachino and Wagyu place?
I had the Wagyu tasting menu with Hokkaido uni, foie gras, and wagyu beef donburi supplements and left full and satisfied. Fairly pricy meal - wagyu tasting was $78 and they have a beer pairing for another $30. Great service and my waiter was friendly and described everything in detail. It's a great place to take someone who likes wagyu and it has a large selection of good Japanese beer. Parking is pretty difficult and you should book a reservation in advance.

djblisk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whats a good place to eat with a good scene (pretty people) for people that have basic palates?

The guy hates seafood. Doesn't eat "weird" ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads