• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think I hate San Francisco.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Was here for the most SanFo of things ... a gay wedding held in a teepee in Sonoma.

Off to hunt rats tomorrow.

lefty

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

lefty

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The Ritz on Nob Hill is a good tourist home base?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The Ritz on Nob Hill is a good tourist home base?

It is a beautiful hotel with excellent service. But if you like to pop out of your hotel and be right in the middle of things it will be at least several steep blocks away from any action. But if you dont mind Uber or cabs everywhere its wonderful.

We like to stay at the Taj Campton Place right on Union Square. But the basic rooms are small so go for a larger room and seek out a view if possible. The service is excellent, great small, quiet bar, and excellent dining.

I highly recommend a visit for wine and oysters at Hog Island (nothing fancy just good), at the Ferry Building and breakfast or dinner at BOULETTES LARDER and dinner, lunch or cocktails at the Slanted Door. A visit around 5pm during the commute is fun while enjoying your cocktail and watching the sun set on the bay.

Hayes Valley area is an enjoyable stroll. Check out the new champagne bar The Riddler. Get there close to 5 if you want a table. It's got a cozy feel and free flavored popcorn to go with your bubbles.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

It is a beautiful hotel with excellent service. But if you like to pop out of your hotel and be right in the middle of things it will be at least several steep blocks away from any action. But if you dont mind Uber or cabs everywhere its wonderful.

We like to stay at the Taj Campton Place right on Union Square. But the basic rooms are small so go for a larger room and seek out a view if possible. The service is excellent, great small, quiet bar, and excellent dining.

I highly recommend a visit for wine and oysters at Hog Island (nothing fancy just good), at the Ferry Building and breakfast or dinner at BOULETTES LARDER and dinner, lunch or cocktails at the Slanted Door. A visit around 5pm during the commute is fun while enjoying your cocktail and watching the sun set on the bay.

Hayes Valley area is an enjoyable stroll. Check out the new champagne bar The Riddler. Get there close to 5 if you want a table. It's got a cozy feel and free flavored popcorn to go with your bubbles.

Gus, thanks for the tips. No, we don't mind a taxi or Uber so that's okay with us. I'm expecting some cocktails or dinner with some StyFo Illuminati too. Mrs. Piob is going to try and book off this week so I should know for sure by next weekend if we're doing it. Looking at first week of June, Sun-Fri.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you find yourself, with some downtime while Mrs. P does her own thing, you might check out the Occidental.

http://www.occidentalcigarclub.com/

It's very much a bar with very good alcohol and cigars. It's small, but for a sight of a timewarp (smoking, in a bar, in a California city no less), it's pretty neat.

The first bar I went to where they were using the mini-kegs to make some of their own mixes.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Piobaire if you are planning a visit to Napa for wine tasting and would like to visit some of the more unique or exclusive vineyards, do make advanced reservations. Some of the best ones book up quickly in early Spring. If you want recommendations PM me. My wife and I visit frequently.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

robw

Reaction score
Hey all,

Title of thread notwithstanding, I have never been and have no opinion re SF, but I will be there over next weekend and have some more practical questions. I figure I might get some answers here.

I want to pack light, but from what I read online the weather can be unpredicatbale. Is that correct? Can I get away with a light or mediium weight jacket eg quilted barbour, with some shirts/sweaters or is that not enough?

I don't have any special occasion that I need to get dressed up for, so no special clothes I have to bring. All guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads