1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Alvy Singer: The... the other important joke, for me, is one that's usually attributed to Groucho Marx; but, I think it appears originally in Freud's "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious," and it goes like this - I'm paraphrasing - um, "I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member." That's the key joke of my adult life...

lefty

You'll be happy to know that people here are really not friendly, and in the long run, quite cold. They get more detestable over time. I will quote what I wrote in another thread: It's weird, when I was in high school, in the late '80s, we would come up to the city (I lived about 40 minutes south) and it seemed like an amazing place. There were all sorts of different people, black, latino, hippies, business types etc. It was cool. Now it is just a bunch of 30-45 year olds who say nothing but "I'm in finance, but I'm soooo into social justice. I'm totally going on a hike this weekend before I play volleyball down at Marina Green. I'm so stoked because I got a new custom fleece, and it will be perfect with my farty craft beer once we get to the end of our hike. I just wish I could embroider my fraternity letters along with "Hope and Change" on the inside."

2. grit

grit Senior member

3. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

Haha, good luck in the real world - you are going to need it. If a overly cheerful girl at a coffee shop pisses you off, haha

Seriously. I wish for cheerful girls at coffee shops. All these hip coffee places around me have barista's that purposely look bored and act disinterested.

4. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Senior member

Oh, please. The last thing we need is for more coffee connoisseurs and amateur baristas to extol the virtues of a city in decline.

You only say that because you have options. If you were forced to buy coffee at Dunkin Donuts, like those poor bastards on the East Coast, you'd be singing a different song.

5. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

They really do have the most aggressive goddamn bums there! Most cities you can politely say 'no thank you' or blank them and they'll leave you be. In SF you need to hit them with the 'double tap' just to be sure. Oh how I miss the days of having to ride public transport there then relating my daily horror stories to people who lived elsewhere. Ok, no I don't.
    Yeah, I like LA better than SF, but I feel I am the only one.
    I think you may be. LA's like a 'Phoenix by the sea'.

6. lefty

lefty Senior member

You'll be happy to know that people here are really not friendly, and in the long run, quite cold. They get more detestable over time. I will quote what I wrote in another thread:

That does make me a little happy, though the second city delusion will be a pain in the ass to deal with.

At one point I turned to my wife and and said that the only thing that could make this worse is if someone started telling us about their startup. That night we listened politely as an acquaintance told us about the new startup he was investing in and we should jump in.

lefty

7. milosz

milosz Senior member

Chicago had the most aggressive bums I've experienced.

8. softy

softy Senior member

San Francisco is terrifying

9. ConcernedParent

ConcernedParent Senior member

I think you may be. LA's like a 'Phoenix by the sea'.

Except LA actually has more than strip malls.

10. dr.no

dr.no Senior member

Not gay enough for you?

11. greekonomist

greekonomist Senior member

Now it is just a bunch of 22-35 year olds who say nothing but "I work on the hill/for a non-profit, and I'm soooo into social justice. I'm totally going on a hike this weekend before I play kickball. I'm so stoked because I got a new custom fleece, and it will be perfect with my farty craft beer once we get to the end of our hike. I just wish I could embroider my fraternity letters along with "Hope and Change" on the inside."

Fixed to make it about DC.

I don't know what the East Coast translation of "stoked" is, though.

12. TintoTerra

TintoTerra Senior member

Except LA actually has more strip malls.

Is this how that 'ftfy' meme works?

13. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

you didn't even mention the Azins yet.... [​IMG]

i'm just kidding... kinda... i kid because i am...

i love san fransisco, only because I visit and experience the distilled version. plus when I lived there for a year I had a awesome apt on powell and bush and an cool job at the hotel triton (always interesting people there).

but the hot women seem to hide there. there are pretty women, but you have to find them, not like in NYC or LA where you go outside/ride the subway.

oh yeah, and we have a blue bottle here in Williamsburg (the only one on the east coast i guess) and its really good. yesterday i stood in line with her:

[​IMG]

she was all hipstered out in glasses and warm clothes though. still pretty though.

14. JoelF

JoelF Senior member

Yeah, I like LA better than SF, but I feel I am the only one. Better-looking girls and better weather. It's almost as if the majority of people that harp about SF are ugly girls who like it because there is less competition.

+100 LA is a much more dynamic & interesting city. SF is just a cutesy annoying self-satisfied place with a couple of nice views, a west coast version of Boston (which doesn't even have the views).

15. Joenobody0

Joenobody0 Senior member

I know I hate San Francisco. Just wait until you see a grown man drop his pants and take shit on the sidewalk in front of police officers who choose to do nothing.

If you're not rich, it's a shit hole.

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

As I was driving down Market St. with a friend yesterday, he channeled Martha of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf fame and intoned "What a dump"!

17. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

I always tell people I love visiting San Fran. It's true that if you are not on board for the egalitarian social justice aim that pervades the city's well to do people then it quickly gets to be a cloyingly annoying city. Most metropolitan cities have this horrible breed of hypocritical wealthy fighters for social justice, it's just that Frisco's image relys on these kind of people more so than other cities.

18. mbalder2

mbalder2 Senior member

God you must have been desperate. Dunkin Donuts coffee? I know it's some east coast thing - but I just don't get it. This is the equivalent of Chicago people insisting that Deep Dish is good Pizza.

Kill yourself.

19. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

+100 LA is a much more dynamic & interesting city. SF is just a cutesy annoying self-satisfied place with a couple of nice views, a west coast version of Boston (which doesn't even have the views).

Yes, this might be a good comparison. I feel that SF is indeed a Boston-type city, that is, a worse NYC wannabe. LA boldly does its own thing. It is obnoxious and annoying and congested, but hey, the weather is nice, the girls are hot, and there are enough cultural experiences to be had if you make an effort.

20. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Kill yourself.

deep dish is great... but it gives you a food coma...

oh i haaaaaate when people from FRISCO think that any bread that isn't sourdough isn't real bread...

the truth is... sourdough actually sucks.