1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Oh yeah- one of the islands between Vancouver and Victoria. That is a dream.

Sydney is like a cross between San Francisco, Seattle, and someplace with nice weather; San Diego maybe. Funny thing is, PG likes Melbourne better, at least for the coffee scene. That definitely puts it on my to visit list.

2. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Funny thing is, PG likes Melbourne better, at least for the coffee scene. That definitely puts it on my to visit list.

Australia has some of the best coffee you'll find. Although I forget the name of it, some roaster in the Granville Public Market had coffee that literally made me stop in my tracks when drinking it it was that good.

3. lefty

lefty Senior member

No, no ... that's when you buy a private island in the Pacific Northwest and get the hell out of Dodge.
    I like this: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...ll-wright.html If I put in two years in purgatory maybe I can upgrade. lefty

4. RSS

RSS Senior member

5. tattersall

tattersall Senior member

Precisely. But ... I'd better stop promoting the place ... or the reason I moved here will be gone.

My friends who live on the islands (gulf and san juans) bemoan the fact that so many outsiders have discovered and encroached on "their" piece of paradise in the last decade. Apparently the worst of the new arrivers are ... wait for it ... builders and architects. [​IMG]

6. RSS

RSS Senior member

Apparently the worst of the new arrivers are ... wait for it ... builders and architects. [​IMG]
    That is indeed true. Up until recently ... there were a number of small architecturally designed developments going in ... and this is not a "development" kind of place.

Fortunately I inherited (well, bought) my place from family ... my uncle.

7. Lighthouse

Lighthouse Senior member

Once an elegant town filled with elegant people, SF has become DisneyWorld for the tragically hip. Progress: sidewalks as toilets, belligerent beggars, and local government bent on controlling the thoughts of its citizens.

No doubt, SF is naturally beautiful; its just the people who make it unpleasant.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

Once an elegant town filled with elegant people, SF has become DisneyWorld for the tragically hip. Progress: sidewalks as toilets, belligerent beggars, and local government bent on controlling the thoughts of its citizens.
    And Union Square has become a retail Disneyland for tourists ... with Mega-Crap Mega-Boutiques. Then again ... so has much of the area around 5th Avenue & 57th streets in New York. Poor little Tiffany.

9. JustinW

JustinW Senior member

I love visiting SF. Whenever I travel through California I try to book via SF rather than LAX and spend a couple days there. It really is very pretty. I just wouldn't want to live there.

Australia has some of the best coffee you'll find. Although I forget the name of it, some roaster in the Granville Public Market had coffee that literally made me stop in my tracks when drinking it it was that good.

Are you a fan of the short black or the flat white? [​IMG]

10. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I love visiting SF. Whenever I travel through California I try to book via SF rather than LAX and spend a couple days there. It really is very pretty. I just wouldn't want to live there.

Thank you. This is exactly what I like to see: come for a visit, spend some $$$, pay some exorbitant sales and hospitality taxes, then go on your way.

11. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Flat white.

12. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

Single Origin roasters, in the Surrey part of Sydney- the single finest espresso I've ever had. Absolutely fabulous, and the owner was absolutely mad to boot.

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I find the San Francisco Airport much nicer than most other airports. NYC's JFK and LaGuardia are particularly hideous and Miami is also quite odious.

14. lefty

lefty Senior member

This is interesting:

[​IMG]

San Francisco = New York
    Financial District = Midtown
    North Beach = Little Italy
    Chinatown = Chinatown
    Union Square = Soho
    Soma = Tribeca
    Potrero = Brooklyn Heights
    Dogpatch = Red Hook
    Civic Center = Civic Center
    Hayes Valley = Chelsea
    Western Addition = Carroll Gardens
    Pacific Heights = Upper East Side
    Noe Valley \t= Upper West Side
    Marina = Murray Hill
    Haight Ashbury\t= East Village
    Castro = West Village
    Mission = Williamsburg
    Lower Haight = Lower East Side
    Russian Hill = Park Slope
    Fisherman's Wharf = South St. Seaport
    Treasure Island \t= Roosevelt Island
    Sunset = Brooklyn
    The Richmond = Queens
    Berkeley = Morningside Heights
    Golden Gate Park = Central Park
    Tenderloin \t= Wherever Giuliani put it
    Stanford = Princeton
    Marin = Westchester

lefty

15. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Senior member

Why are New yorkers so obsessed with comparing every city they've ever visited to NYC?

16. Humperdink

Humperdink Senior member

Dispelling claims that San Francisco is only nice to live in, if you're rich:

1. It sucks not being rich everywhere. Living in cities is expensive the world over. This is Styleforum, why aren't you making six figures, yet?

2. Weather - sure SF gets clammy cold early in the mornings before the fog layer lifts, but it's nothing in comparison to dealing with freezing temperatures and exorbitant heating bills when living on the East Coast. Buying an extra blanket in the Bay Area beats wearing down parkas and snow boots and forking over $400 every time you refill your oil heater in Boston or the D.C./ Virginia Metro Area. Oh, you live in NYC or downtown Boston and have heating included in your rent? Mice prefer not to freeze to death outside, and like the leftover tandoori curry you left on the stove.

*As a side-note, there's a reason why there's so many aggressive homeless people in SF: competition to pan-handle in a city where there's no chance of freezing to death breeds tough bums. If you're homeless and can't hold down a spot on Geary, you have to up and move to the Mission, and no one except for kiya wants to live there.

3. With nicer weather comes more opportunities to save money walking outside. The public transportation in SF is no less inconvenient than Boston, is cleaner than the NY subway system, and is slightly cheaper than most other major metropolitan public transport systems (the BART sucks, but what you gonna do?) That said, SF is a tiny little city with consistently tolerable weather, and it's convenient (and sometimes enjoyable) to walk everywhere. Not only does this save money on car expenses (obvious), but also saves on gym expenses: walking and/or jogging up nob hill everyday does wonders for one's problem areas.

4. Weather again: June and July are too cold, and September and October are weirdly hot, but summer weather, whenever it comes to SF, is much better than than the humid, muggy mess you find in Chicago, NYC, D.C., Boston, etc. Sure it's not like living in San Diego, but you never need an air conditioner in SF, unless you're obese. Think of the savings on your electricity bill!

So...mainly the weather. Housing is expensive, dining is expensive, entertainment is expensive, and you're paying just under 9% tax on everything. But, not freezing and not perspiring (except when climbing nob hill) tends to save on expenses overall, imo.

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

Bad weather in the Bay Area? It rarely gets hot ... and it certainly doesn't get all that cold here. Yes normal people will wear a light coat on a "cold" day ... while a few foolish young folk can be seen in t-shirt & shorts. That's how bad the weather gets.

18. lefty

lefty Senior member

Why are New yorkers so obsessed with comparing every city they've ever visited to NYC?

You should see what they do in other countries:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.
    lefty

19. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

I love San Francisco.

+1000 lefty sorry you had a bad experience. It's a different world. I grew up here and live 20 minutes away and there's really no where I'd rather be. PM if you want to chat.

20. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

I wasn't so happy my first year here, but I've grown to like it a lot. A big part of that is that I enjoy my neighborhood, upper Fillmore. It's fairly diverse, not overrun w/ hipsters, clean, safe, central.

JW, let me know next time you're in the area.