1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Uber app no work?

it worked great for us. aside from the fact that each cab ride seemed to cost $20-30 (excluding airport, which was $80)

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you don't buckle up in a NYC cab, you are basically begging for compound fractures.

1 person likes this.
  3. lefty

lefty Senior member

Not sure why she didn't use uber.

Don't think I ever used a sb in an NYC cab. Maybe from the airport.

lefty

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I've found UberX to be cheaper than cabs, and it looks like they've just lowered their rates further.

I realize the whole business model is based on sharp practices, but the rent-seeking by SF's cab industry is worse. Plus it's fun.

5. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Über x all the way. Cheaper and better service

6. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I downloaded the Uber app, but I haven't set up an account. I guess I really don't use cabs except for going to the airport and back.

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you come into the city much?

9. sugarbutch

Are you dissing Bernal again, Matt? I'm only on my second cup of coffee, so I might be missing something. :)

Anyway, I tend to use BART when heading downtown. Otherwise, like the good suburbanite I was raised to be, I drive.

10. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

any candlestick park memories?

I have one from the late 80's: i was 8 years old and visiting cousins in SF. My parents, brother and I decide to see a giants game in the middle of July. it was in the low 40ºF's and blustery. we didn't last until the 3rd inning and left.

11. itsstillmatt

I was at Candlestick for The Catch.

2 people like this.
  12. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

Kevin Mitchell's? :bounce2:

wait that was an away game right?

13. Manton

I was there for Will Clark's RBI single that won the 1989 NLCS.

Many 49er games and playoff games but not, alas, the Catch. Two seats, mom&dad left me with a neighbor.

2 people like this.
  14. LawrenceMD

LawrenceMD Senior member

^lol I'm an idiot. wow you were there for that 49'ers game? Holy crap!

15. sugarbutch

Fully intended to go to a game this season since I'd never been, but... Otherwise, autocrossed in the parking lot a few times, and visited the office on a weekday morning in 1999 to use the phone when my old BMW's alternator started giving out on 101. Pre-cellphone! The ladies were very nice.

16. Manton

My parents were also at the earthquake world series game. Actually, they didn't play that night. I was in Berkeley.

17. itsstillmatt

I remember skipping out one day to go to a game out of high school nostalgia in 1997 and we watched Kevin Brown no-hit the Giants. As anybody who grew up in the area knows, you could always buy a cheap seat and creep down toward the good seats. Anyway, I don't know what the attendance says for that day, but there couldn't have been more than 3k people there for the last few innings, and pretty much everybody was between the bases down low. We were right behind home plate, and it was the most dominant thing I've ever seen in baseball.

Lots of 49er memories. I went to almost every game from 1979-1990, and those were very good years. Steve Young's run was epic, watching Jerry Rice comeback and hurt himself again, watching Joe Montana be Joe Montana week after week. Great times.

2 people like this.
  18. itsstillmatt

I have to admit, I fucking hated Steve Young. Maybe I started hating San Francisco when Steve Young took over. Cocksucker. I definitely remember rooting for Montana and the Chiefs to kick the 9ers asses.

19. Bhowie

Bhowie Senior member

Why'd you stop watching football? You've said in the last you were a big niners fan.

20. Manton

We only had half a season ticket, so four games a year, I always got at least two and sometimes more--either because my mom didn't want to go or because my dad scrounged more tickets. Many, many playoff games. One Super Bowl. The last time I went to the Stick for the 49ers was a playoff win over Green Bay in 1999. Then they lost to the Falcons next round.

I went to many more Giants games than 9er games--of course there were many more to go to, but my family was (and is) really crazy into baseball more than football. E.g., my parents have spent the whole month of March for the last 20 years, maybe longer, in Scotsdale for spring training. I can't recall the last Giants' game. Probably in the 1998 season when I lived in Sac, but I can't recall actually going (though it's likely I did). Moved to NY in early '99, only since been back to to visit.

My parents got charter seasons tickets at Pac Bell (as it was then called) I have been to 1-2 games every summer since it opened in 2000. My dad is often on the field as a "ball dude" and was even featued in a WSJ story.

The absolutely emptiest you'd see Candlestick was a Friday night game in the mid 80s. 2K max. Everyone behind the plate. Very fucking cold. One night, I think it was '86., Will Clark hit a homer into the upper deck--and there was no one sitting where the ball dropped. A mad rush to get up there began instantly. I did not get the ball.

1 person likes this.