1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Rather, as SB put it the other night, it's the Early Gentrifiers against the New Gentrifiers.

I'm not sure what point you are making about the tax dollars that fund the bus pull outs and the buses.

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Muni drivers don't get in trouble for anything. That is why they continue to drive as they do. Fuck them. Some of you who haven't been here long enough don't really understand how fucked up Muni is because nobody is bothering to expose their shit anymore like they used to.

3. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I didn't say the private buses are subsidized by tax dollars, or if that's how it read, I wrote poorly. City buses (and their drivers and staff) are subsidized by tax dollars as I'm not aware of a single large city that has a mass transit that runs in the black. Also, they are not "consuming a public resource." The private buses are not consuming finite units of "bus pullout" that is thereby limiting the supply of "bus pullout units" for city buses. All of the bus pull outs I see have room for at least two buses so it would take quite a pile up for there to even be a momentary unavailability. Also, private companies located in the municipality already help pay for those bus pull outs through taxes...just like the citizens do.

My point would be public infrastructure, funded by tax dollars, is there for all to use for the intended purpose. The companies and workers in question had a hand in funding them. I would think in our eco-friendly times these efforts would be lauded vs. impeded.

Agreed that these things usually are a battle between first movers and early adopters. Where I live I have determined an "environmentalist" is someone that has built his dream home, surrounded by natural habitat and great views, and now does not want anyone else building their dream home where it might impinge on their slice of Shangrila.

4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are mistaken. Many (perhaps most) of the subject stops do not have room for multiple buses to pull over simultaneously. The subject companies are not located in the municipality, so they do not, in fact, contribute to the revenue which paid for the streets in San Francisco. Taxis and private cars are not allowed to use bus stops and are subject to fines for doing so. The city has even installed cameras on buses to record the plate numbers of cars parked/standing in stops, and will send a ticket in the mail to violators.

Finally, the intended purpose is to provide a place for public transit vehicles to pull out of traffic to pick up and let off passengers. We can disagree with the limited scope of that, but it doesn't change the fact of why they were built.

And, to be clear, I support the private buses.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Thanks for the corrective info. Your city sucks!

6. itsstillmatt

Both generations of gentrifiers should go fuck off to a sustainable cupping somewhere in a parklet, as far as I am concerned. I hope there are some muni drivers with you, their busses are probably right in the middle of the street. They seem to think the middle of the street is a fucking muni stop.

7. sugarbutch

We blame Canada.

1 person likes this.
  8. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

9. sugarbutch

With the socialized medicine? Or the poutine?

10. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

I'm not sure the SF elites are ready for poutine. Most of the stuff I ate as a kid were with frozen fries and gravy from a can...not a single "organic" item.

11. sugarbutch

Any locals had poutine in San Francisco? Was it authentic? I'm generally down for just about anything with french fries. :embar:

12. itsstillmatt

Poutine seemed to be hip among the first wave of parklet denizens a few years ago. I had some at Salt House. It kind of sucked. OK, to be fair it really sucked, but such is the state of food in SF these days.

13. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Poutine is really best after activities like ice fishing.

14. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Poutine needs to be eaten in a place like Hull with a side of Labatt's 50 and a pack of Export A's.

I shudder to think what fucking travesty Salt House (my first SanFo meal) would come up with. It's country comfort food, leave it the fuck alone.

lefty

16. sugarbutch

So, um, D, does that mean you didn't find any authentic poutine whilst in The City[​IMG]?

17. lefty

lefty Senior member

Poutine isn't something you order. Typically it's dropped with a clatter on the formica counter by a middle-aged French Canadian waitress named Louise when she sees you're cold.

I giggle every time you write "The City".

lefty

18. sugarbutch

Mission accomplished.

19. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

This is better.

20. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member