1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    [​IMG]
    "Please drop a $20 in my America Cup."

(Nice shoes)

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Went for a run by the ballpark and on the Embarcadero last night, and my boys rode their bikes alongside. On our way back, we came across a man yelling all sorts of obscenity and racial slurs across the street at two black men who were leaning against a truck, looking at him like he was nuts. I'm pretty sure it's the first time my boys have heard the "n-word" in their lives. I took exception with him as I ran by, prompting my younger son to ask why I yelled at the guy and why he was yelling at the other guys. The older boy suggested that he must be drunk :) and I said he was probably drunk and crazy.

3. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

SB, does it seem to you like more people are acting out lately?

4. sugarbutch

I haven't noticed that which is probably why this stood out for me. Of course, I don't spend a lot of time in areas where one is likely to encounter such behavior. e.g., now that I work on the peninsula, I'm rarely on transit.

5. sugarbutch

6. binge

binge Senior member

Twitter filed their S-1 recently...get ready for another jump in housing prices.

1 person likes this.
  7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I'm counting on it!

8. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Amigos:

I've been in town for awhile on business and, based on recommendations from many SF'ers (some of whom I met at the Proper Suit meet up), I've had some pretty phenomenal dining experiences while in the Bay Area.

Tonight is my last night in town, and I'm curious to know where you might recommend I dine, having previously eaten at the likes of Spruce, Evvia, Kiss Seafood, Gary Danko, Quince, La Folie, etc. I'm equal opportunity when it comes to dining, so "high end" isn't necessary (the previous list is just illustrative, I've eaten at plenty of other phenomenal restaurants here with a less caché).

Any thoughts are appreciated, also bearing in mind that it's just me, so dining at the bar is preferable.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  9. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

I would suggest Nopa - lively bar scene, great food and drinks and won't feel odd to dine solo. Same with Delfina. Tacolicious (mission or marina) would also be fun.

1 person likes this.
  10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The Slanted Door bar at the Ferry Building has a great view, food, drinks. If you haven't been to the Ferry Building it is certainly worth a visit before heading back to NYC at least for a drink if not a full dinner. It is fun watching one of the best commutes anywhere in the USA. The food is Modern Vietnamese. Everyone gets the Spring Rolls. I like many of the raw seafood selections. They have unique wines from all around Europe.

http://www.slanteddoor.com/food#dinner

11. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

Cheers, thanks for the recommendations.

12. lefty

lefty Senior member

I did not get Nopa at all. Mediocre food and a somewhat uninspired room. On the plus side they seem to be open past 9:15.

Do not go to TCLS in the marina. Maybe in the mission if you're desperate.

Where's the view again at TSD? Is it the bay bridge or the treasure island admin building? If you can stomach the hordes at the FB then I guess TSD is a thing.

Sorry, not having a great day. Glad you went to kiss.

lefty

13. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

whoa!

14. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agree about not getting Nopa. I like Slanted Door, not for the view and definitely not for the muggles, but they have some really good dishes.

15. GothamRed

GothamRed Senior member

ha, thanks, lefty - i always appreciate your input. Kiss was definitely a favorite.
    Thanks!

16. lefty

lefty Senior member

Maybe. I just got so skeeved out by shouldering my way through the mass of sanfomanity gathered around the bb and cg creamery that I could never relax.

Gomes, I'm a fair guy. I give where it's due.

I will say this. I miss my SF apt on a daily basis. That was a damn great place. Thankfully it wasn't for sale or I'd be a hell of a pickle right now.

lefty

17. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Everyone's different. I enjoyed slanted door when they were at 17th and Valencia, but almost never go to the new iteration which feels like a cafeteria even if the food is mostly the same. I can't really get that excited about it at this point. If I wanted a water view, I would go to waterbar. Food is unremarkable, but not bad, and prices aren't good either, but if you prioritize having a great view, that's where I would go.

I don't think Nopa is that hard to get and honestly this feels like bizarro SF. Everyone I know enjoys Nopa.

As for T-lish - it's the right place for a number of people. It is the wrong place for a number of people - and obviously Lefty and heismatt are not the target audience there. Reddevil may or may not be.

Reddevil - another option might be Prospect. I haven't been yet, but everyone seems to love it.

18. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

Tacolicious is fine for takeout. The tacos are good enough.

Nopa kind of sucks. The food is just another mediocre iteration of generic Michael Bauer friendly food.

Prospect is fine. Not good or great. Fine.

19. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

Slanted Door's quality has ebbed and flowed over the years. My last meal there about 6 months ago led me to believe it is an ebb tide at present. Really miss the Out The Door location in the Emporium food court.

Company Restaurant is a solid neighborhood place that I am very fond of. The confit chicken wings are yummy.

Tadich Grill and Sam's are classic old school SF seafood places, Perbacco if your taste is more modern, Anzu if you need another sushi fix. All have good bars for dining. Ame if you want to round out the trip with another (excellent) high end place.