1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

:) I'm sure you can find some hipsters rocking that farmer style somewhere in the Mission.

2. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

same in Brooklyn. It's disgusting.

3. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

I spotted a guy wearing overalls, a big beard and not much else on Valencia last week, so yeah.

4. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

None of you read the article I take it.

This is happening everywhere. SF may have a small amount more of it, but it's the same everywhere.

5. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

There's a sense in which it started here: San Francisco has been a destination for these "lifestyle tribes" since at least the '50s. I can't think of any other city that has such a long history of self-defined communities converging from around the world. Gays, Beats, Hippies, Venture Capitalists....

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Perhaps, but it's much like blaming Greece for the fall of the Roman Empire.

7. sugarbutch

I did read the article. I just didn't agree with it.

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

which is not altogether unreasonable.

9. binge

binge Senior member

Something everyone can hate: MTV's The Real World returning to San Francisco.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

It is called "Urban lumberjack" by many and is just as common in Brooklyn as anywhere in the Bay Area.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  11. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Well, for the 2013 crowd - perhaps the following example:

[​IMG]

But for my generation, the following example is what took place on a regular basis:

[​IMG]

Then again, my generation started off with song lyrics you could actually understand. Then after I got older, it evolved into just screaming.

12. lwmarti

lwmarti Senior member

Having just been to San Francisco for a few days for the America's Cup trials, I have to say that I was a bit surprised by what I saw. So many people that are probably best described as "scruffy." On the other hand, our Jack Russell terriers found people up there fascinating. Apparently they have all sorts of wonderful smells. If you're a dog, that is.

13. sugarbutch

14. redboat

redboat Senior member

Saru definitely gets better Yelp than Hamano. But we ate at Saru once... the wife vetoed any returns. Something about a lack of authenticity, weird service, bad atmosphere. We'll try Kiss Sushi.

15. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Let me go how that goes

16. countdemoney

countdemoney Senior member

Was at bi-rite last Saturday. No Line. Was very good, but not really life changing.

17. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

18. lwmarti

lwmarti Senior member

Crikey! Finally, the perfect use for a phrase that I've wanted to use for over 30 years.

For some background, for those of you who didn't go to a prep school, you're never told how to dress appropriately, but you're often somewhat rudely told when what you're wearing doesn't meet with the approval of the other boys. The phrase that I remember the most was, "I had a blazer [or whatever] like that once. Then my dad got a job."

This "urban lumberjack" style wants me to use that phrase in a very, very bad way. Not that I actually would, of course.

19. redboat

redboat Senior member

But my guess is that Sakana is as good as sushi gets in SF. Actually my in-laws from Kyoto went there when they visited, and really liked it...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  20. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Hmm. Thats odd. I went there only once and got major food poisoning. The main chef there looks to be drug dependent. I was with a couple if ER nurses from San Fran General. They said he looked and showed the traits.