1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

I think I hate San Francisco.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by lefty, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

It's an airport restaurant. Even if you did eat there, you wouldn't remember it.

2. ryan123

ryan123 Senior member

Aka Tambo is not even close to sushi-gen
    Yume in Alameda is the best sushi restaurant in the bay area in my opinon. You have to get there before 5pm if you want to get a seat.

3. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

Yume may probably be the best.

But all I want is something comparable to Sushi Gen for the people that have eaten at Sushi Gen.

Its all about the Shari.

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

This thread has become as awful as San Francisco.

5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am going to start calling it "frisco" and see if anyone complains

6. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Quite possibly, if we're reduced to talking about sushi.

I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that the reason I still live here is that I can't afford to live in New York. That said, I'm apprehensive at the notion of living with seasons.

I guess the question is "What is San Francisco Missing?" And while I could make a list, they aren't so critical as to drive me out. Like most places in California, the laid back vibe and natural terrain advantages (natural beauty, the ability to go from ocean to mountains or forest in a matter of minutes) keeps me here, plus some things the rest of California doesn't have, like the ability to walk most places. Plus I've built up significant social capital here.

I wish we have more place that were open late. I wish we had better architecture. I wish folks overall were less entitled, and that there would be more "normal" folks to even out the edge of the various "lifestyle factions." You know, like people who live in Queens.

1 person likes this.
  7. djblisk

djblisk Senior member

+1

8. lefty

lefty Senior member

9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is this a class thing? I've encountered plenty of blue-collar, OG San Franciscans who say Frisco. The only thing everyone seems to agree on is their dislike of San Fran.

10. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

No, not a class thing. It is universal and the people you know cannot exist, or at least are not what they claim to be. They are probably imports made to make hipsters feel like they are around real people.

Hell, it has been a law since Emperor Norton.

11. sugarbutch

D, that piece, stripped of its SF particulars is essentially "Kids today ain't got no respect."

Matt, maybe it's something from one of those neighborhoods you only drive through? The retired plumber on my block who has lived there for 40+ years would disagree.

To be clear, I have no dog in this fight; just observatin'

12. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    From the above SF link:

"I was also looking for a new life and a place that had hope and excitement and which provided a bigger, wider and more diverse world to play in. I found a city made up of wildly different people - of all types - spread across a huge range of little tribal neighborhoods. It was a massive melting pot of values, ethnicities, world views, ages and economic classes."

I thought the comment was about Los Angeles!

13. lefty

lefty Senior member

That's pretty much his take, though "kids" tends to be startups. He's pretty brutal on the ridiculous money they give people in SanFo.

By the way, I actually thought some guy here coined this:

Sanfo

Slang for San Fransisco used predominantly by foreigners from the Asia-Pacific. Somewhat of a FOB word, this term came into existence because of the airport name "SFO" that Asian tourists fly into. "Sanfo" is also much easier to pronounce than "San Fransisco"

lefty

14. sugarbutch

Damn. What's left to believe in anymore? Still, this is the only place I've seen it used, so I will act as though I never saw your post.

15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Has that said "coined in the I hate sf thread on sf" I would have retired from the internet.

Oh well...

lefty

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  16. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

it's funny, i was just speaking with a co-worker about our mutual love for Los Angeles, and then I said i'm meh on SF, and then he basically agreed and summarized all 139 pages of this thread.

17. sugarbutch

Saying that you love LA is like saying that you love a small state. Which part do you love?

18. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

Palos Verdes to Malibu struck me as awesome.

19. gomestar

gomestar Senior member

the more we moved away from the coast, the more i was a little meh on things (towards Hollywood, etc.), and Downtown is ok (great food though). Manhattan Beach was awesome. We may return in a few weeks (with a few reluctant days in SF. we have too many friends there to ignore).

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  20. sugarbutch

Most of those places aren't LA:

[​IMG]