• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I think GQ did a good job...

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Enjoy!

It's amazing how far clothes that fit will take you...

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
Enjoy!

It's amazing how far clothes that fit will take you...

I agree. I feel like I see those guys (pre-wardrobe adjustment) on the street every single day. What a difference the proper size makes.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
It also helps that everyone's new outfit is between 1 and 2K. I'm thinking that the 19 year old contracting estimator probably wouldn't buy a $2025 Dolce & Gabbana blazer.

I would have preferred if they found clothes that might realistically be in their budgets. They could have tossed in a few highly-paid guys to tout the pricey stuff.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet
It also helps that everyone's new outfit is between 1 and 2K. I'm thinking that the 19 year old contracting estimator probably wouldn't buy a $2025 Dolce & Gabbana blazer.

I would have preferred if they found clothes that might realistically be in their budgets. They could have tossed in a few highly-paid guys to tout the pricey stuff.

Agreed, but I honestly think a very similar effect can be had for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price mentioned, if the person had a good eye, and shopped/tailored well to their body.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Epaulet

+1

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right. This is one of the better, practical style examples that GQ has done in a long while.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome...hopefully that one day of dress-up will give those guys a drive for sartorialism that will ruin their lives and bankrupt their wallets, just like us.
devil.gif

bmulford

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
would have liked to see them take the before/after shots in the same light/backdrop. The after pictures have improved color balance, depth and activity.

I'm sure the improvements would be there due to fit, but wouldn't be so dramatic. I found myself clicking back just to see if they were the same people.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bmulford
would have liked to see them take the before/after shots in the same light/backdrop. The after pictures have improved color balance, depth and activity.

I'm sure the improvements would be there due to fit, but wouldn't be so dramatic. I found myself clicking back just to see if they were the same people.

+1

Proper lighting and a good cameraman (not to mention a ton of Photoshop) can make good look great.

I don't like how GQ blatantly appease their sponsors by putting everyone in expensive clothing. I think they should have done 2 looks, one with the expensive, and one sub $500

dopamine

Reaction score
The 22 year-old student's suit was so baggy, I was surprised he wasn't swimming in them. I don't understand how anyone can think that something like that A: looks good and B: fits properly. I normally don't criticize, but that was ridiculous.

I've also wondered what happens to these people: do they just get approached on the street, offered a certain amount of cash, do a photo shoot, and then leave? Seems like they'd go right on dressing how they normally dress. I'd be much more impressed if GQ revamped their entire wardrobe and paid for it, but then that would be more a television show type thing.

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopamine
The 22 year-old student's suit was so baggy, I was surprised he wasn't swimming in them. I don't understand how anyone can think that something like that A: looks good and B: fits properly. I normally don't criticize, but that was ridiculous.

I've also wondered what happens to these people: do they just get approached on the street, offered a certain amount of cash, do a photo shoot, and then leave? Seems like they'd go right on dressing how they normally dress. I'd be much more impressed if GQ revamped their entire wardrobe and paid for it, but then that would be more a television show type thing.

Like that show where a sloppy family/person are offered $10,000 to buy designer items. After the show they'd probably go back to their usual crap.

GQ makes us believe expensive clothes are the only ones that fit. But I love their "suits under $500" article they did a while back, they need more of that.

dsmolken

Reaction score
Originally Posted by erdawe
Agreed, but I honestly think a very similar effect can be had for 1/2 to 1/3 of the price mentioned, if the person had a good eye, and shopped/tailored well to their body.
Isn't it far easier to save up a thousand dollars (even with a manual labor job) than it is to develop a good eye and the ability to shop well/get things tailored right?

Confucius

Reaction score
Helps that the guys all already looked like models and had easy physiques to work with. But regardless, it was a great illustration of how a small change (i.e. fit) can make a world of difference.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly, these guys aren't pulled off the street - they're models who were posing in clothing way too big for them in the first pics.

Edit: but the article does get the point across that fitting clothing looks better, so it's a good article.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads